Do it all 2.1 System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I've always found this website so helpful so I'm wondering if you can help me with my dilemma. As with many other posts my question is about hifi and home cinema so apologies if this isn't the right place.

Basically, I enjoy film and playstation and music and i want to upgrade my whole audio/visual set up.
However, I'm unsure whether 5.1 Surround is for me - due to space, aesthetics and music quality, so I am thinking about a 2.1 set up. I must stress I am a newbie.

I'm pretty much building from the bottom up so the plan is:

TV: Was going to be the Pana 32LXD700 but with the new round of tvs out I might wait.

DVD/BlueRay: PS3

Freeview: BT Vision (already got)

Turntable: Project Debut USB (does it matter if BOTH amp and turntable have a phono stage?)

CD Player: Will hold onto my current player before upgrading later (possibly to Marantz)

So my first dilemma is amp. Do I get a stereo amp which I can put the tv/sub woofer through or do I get an av receiver and put my music through it. I would like to have my PS3 games through the amp and possibly DVDs. I realise I won't get the full experience but imagine it would at least add to my movie watching experience. And it needs to sound good at music. I may get surround sound in the (distant) future but it's not really not much of a consideration at the mo.

So, do I get a good stereo amp (maybe Rotel RA04 or MarantzPM6002) or do I get an AV amp, maybe the Cambridge Audio 340r or onkyo 506/606 - although I'd like the amp to look AND sound good.

Second Dilemma - Speakers:
The reason I am considering a 2.1 system is that I would like quite good speakers fo music and I am able to place the speakers close to the Left and Right of the TV. Also I don't like the idea of the centre speaker being just placed in front of the telly - I don't have anywhere else to put it.

I am considering Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s

What do you think? Do you have any other recommendations.

Do I need a sub to enhance movies and how to i attach it to a normal stereo amp.

Sorry for bombarding you all with questions. The words 'Cake' and 'Eat it' spring to mind.

Many thanks for all your help.

A

Anonymous

I am actually running two complete systems in my living room. One is a 5.1 surround system and the other is a stereo system for my music. Both are built from good quality components. Frankly if I could only have the one system I would opt for the Stereo setup. It may not be surround for movies; but still sounds great. If you love your music I would suggest that going with a quality 2 (or 2.1) system would be your best value. By the way... the PS3 is a good choice; it's an incredibly versatile unit.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Very much agree with the above post. If a stereo music system is the most important to you, build your ideal system for this. Then look at how you might be able to add home cinema to this. If (like me) home cinema is most important to you, build your ideal home cinema system, then look at getting some reasonable stereo music from it. Trying to compromise between the two will more than likely leave you unhappy with both systems.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your help guys.

OK, I think I'll be looking to get a stereo amp and a set of bookshelf speakers (plus some decent stands and cables etc).

So, considering I listen to varied music (from intense rock, to intricate and deep LoFi to fast paced indie) but would also like to feed my PS3 (and maybe TV) through the amp to enhance gaming and movies, what do you think of the questions below.

Q1. What do you guys think of the Marantz PM6002, I'm considering also the Rotel RA-04 (although no remote which would be handy, RA-05 does but extra £100). Any others

Q2. Also which speakers would complement the amp, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s? or maybe MA Bronze BR2 - good write up in What HiFi guide to Hifi.

Q3. Would a sub give me any benefit?

Again, thanks for your help,

G_hair

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Another amp worth consideration, among others, looking around, is the NAD C352CT (which is on offer at Superfi) - Was £380, now £250 - Plenty of oomph for movies.
Personally if you go for a stereo system, especially with small speakers, I would go for the sub too... I use a MJA Pro 50, and it's just the job... Adds atmosphere to movies and PS3 games, and is very musical and subtle with stereo...(I even use it as a 'loudness button' for late night (quiet) listening.

By the way if you go for the Rotel, get a Harmony remote and add it. AFAIK the RA-04 is just an RA-05 without a remote, and they take the mickey by charging £100 for a remote worth peanuts. The Harmony 555 I use can be got for just half that, and is fantastic (although it wont control a PS3)

A

Anonymous

Thanks fr0g, some great advice there. The Nad looks promising and the Sub is £299 on Superfi - is that good? Also seems a bit smaller than the other subs I have been looking at.

I'll check out the remote now.

G_hair

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="G_hair"]
Thanks fr0g, some great advice there. The Nad looks promising and the Sub is £299 on Superfi - is that good? Also seems a bit smaller than the other subs I have been looking at.

I'll check out the remote now.

G_hair

[/quote]

The sub people seem to recommend is BK Electronics. I haven't heard them myself, but they seem very good value for money.

As for the MJA - It isn't an earth moving sub, but it fit the bill perfectly for what I needed at the time...Very adept with hi-fi, and a decent bit of rumble in films... To be honest, sice I moved to a bigger room (Now 10x 5m from 5x4m) it's a touch small, but still does a nice job.

By the way,.. attaching to an amp is simple, on the MJA it's either with a high level cable to the speaker terminals, or low-level, to the amps pre-outs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help fr0g.

On thing I don't understand is how does a remote, control something that is essentially mechanical? ie. with knobs that you physically turn to change inputs/volume.

To be honest, all I would need a remte for is volume so if the harmony one worked that would be great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts