DO I NEED ONE?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A sound pressure meter, those in the know say yes, I have used the auto setup (denon 1911) I have done the distance measurements, what are the chances that the speaker volumes are going to be that far out? Have those that have used a meter found that the auto setup required a correction which was worthwhile? I have been unable to borrow a meter and would be rather ticked off to buy one and find no adjustments were required.

dav1967

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Yukdan

I have a Denon 1909 and after running audyssey I go back and recalibrate the speaker level with a spl meter and I find it makes a big difference.

A

Anonymous

SCENE I don't have an i pad etc, DAV1967 that's 1 for, it's worthwhile buying one.The majority will decide it for me.

michael hoy

yukdan:SCENE I don't have an i pad etc, DAV1967 that's 1 for, it's worthwhile buying one.The majority will decide it for me.

Yukdan,

I have found that the iPad apps for this sort of thing to be unreliable, for what it is worth I do use a SPL meter everytime I re run the auto setup on my Pioneer and have found the Pioneer to do a very good job.

I used to have a Denon 1909 and found that more adjustments needed to be done after running the auto setup, it all depends on how you feel the auto setup sounds to you.

Most auto setup routines have for me set the rear speaker levels too high and so used the meter to bring them in line with the rest of the system.

The Pioneer so far has not needed any adjustment, but I would still check the next time I run it.

The analogue version on here should good enough for what you want.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Michael for replying, it would seem very few people use an spl meter or they are unwilling to pass on their experiences/knowledge.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I always use one and find it just tightens up the surround so the effects are more cohesive compared to the auto setup levels and distances. However, as others have said, it does depend entirely on how effective and accurate your auto setup routine has been. My Onkyo amp is quite old now and I'm sure this technology has improved in recent years, so it's very hard to say for your own individual case whether it will be necessary or not. The only thing that can be said for sure is you won't know until you try it.

I think probably the majority of people will either trust the auto setup or just check the levels by ear.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
yukdan:Thank you Michael for replying, it would seem very few people use an spl meter or they are unwilling to pass on their experiences/knowledge.

Hi yukdan,

I always use an spl meter regardless. I have found that it is much more accurate than auto calibration.Run Audyssey then double check.

Good luck

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
yukdan:Thank you Michael for replying, it would seem very few people use an spl meter or they are unwilling to pass on their experiences/knowledge.

The enthusiasts amongst us would use an SPL I think, mostly to confirm visually what has been set up automically, and if there is any margin of error then it can be corrected.

For the minimal outlay (*I paid £20.00 of of Amazon for an analogue SPL) it has to be worth it it, also there is a perverse "fun" in using the SPL meter, loud reference test tones, SPL meter in hand point upwards from listening position, 1/2dB changes and seeing the change etc........................and then knowing that is indeed set up accuratly to the SPL meter in hand

Get one, they are a necessity

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
emotion-21.gif

Worth the outlay IMO, i bought an SPL meter after my centre speaker seemed quiet running the Denon 1910. Found it to be around 3db down, with the subwoofer even more around 4.5db. It has certainly made a difference to my listening experience.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Doubt a cheapy one would do that - mine certainly doesn't. Why would you want to though? All the meter is doing is measuring the sound output in decibels, allowing you to change the individual speaker levels so they're all the same.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought a £20 one from Maplin (other retailers are available) and found that it did help. If you ever move house, change amp/speakers or reconfigure the room then you'll need it again.

A

Anonymous

Now wer'e talking, thank you all for your replys, not one negative makes a definate, need to purchase item, but which one?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
yukdan,

I bought mine from Maplins, £19.

It is digital, cheap, very effective and accurate.

You can get some good anolgue meters on Amazon for about £30 and BK electronics are doing the old skool Radio Shack meter which used to be very popular, I had one.

The advantage of analogue with a slow reading is that you can calibrate the sub more acurately but i do the sub by ear as it is much harder to calibrate with an SPL meter .

TRENDING THREADS