Do i need Banana Plugs ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im buying a Mission MCube and wondered if i should use banana plus on either end of the speaker cable to connect into the speaker and amplifier or should i just use bare wire and tighten it.

I was looking to get QED Screwloc Banana Plugs but have been told that using bare wire to attach it to the equipment is as good, can anyone advise me pls.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for replying back, just wondering so why is banana plugs used then ?

scene

It makes the cables easier to get on and off, especially if moving things around. Also, bare wire will oxidise over time, potentially reducing the quality of sound. To get round this, you need soldered banana plugs, or airtight ones, like QED airlocks. If you clean your wires and terminals with isopropyl alcohol (power off on amp, wait for it to dry thoroughly to avoid any fire risk), and avoid touching the bare wires or terminals with your fingers, then you should have no issues. You can repeat this process every couple of years. Badly fitted banana plugs are actually worse than bare wire.

BTW: I have a mixture of bare wires (at the back of wall-mounted speakers) and banana plugs - the latter for convenience, as I found it really hard to screw in the bare wires with my stiff Silver Anniversary cables + close together terminals on the back of my AVR250.

A

Anonymous

As previously said either is option is fine.
I use banana plugs cos i find them easier to plug/unplug leads especially at the amp end of things and i find they look neater.

Cheers

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
When you've connected two of your five speakers by bare-wire, you'll know why you should choose plugs at least for the amp end. The more wires go in it gets progressively mre fiddly and time consuming.

And make sure there are no stray strands touching each other.
emotion-60.gif

Don't think I'll ever go back to not using plugs for HC or Hi-fi.

A

Anonymous

Yes it makes life easier when unplugging cables in the future. Also means you dont have to keep trimming the cables everytime you undo them and they are dusty, frayed or some strands have snapped.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts