Do I need a DAC?

dav1967

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
this should have read

I am thinking of putting my cd collection in lossless form onto a hard drive and plugging it into my Onkyo 809 and I was wondering if i would notice a big improvement in sound if it went through an external DAC?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't reccomend to do it , isn't it better to upgrade you CD to one that have a build in DAC ( AIDILAB 8200CD

or CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840C act. ) ?

You can hear both your CDs collection and a compressd music as well if you have one .

dav1967

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Isac69

The reason I am asking if I would benefit from an external DAC is because I want to remove my cd collection to free up shelf space for my ever growing dvd collection, and by ripping them to a hard drive and playing them through the Onkyo 809 seemed to be the cheapest and easiest way.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
dav1967 said:
Hi Isac69

The reason I am asking if I would benefit from an external DAC is because I want to remove my cd collection to free up shelf space for my ever growing dvd collection, and by ripping them to a hard drive and playing them through the Onkyo 809 seemed to be the cheapest and easiest way.

I don't recםmmend to do it ripping your CDs will damage the quality of the sound , DAC is for a compress music to ones that

don't buy original CDs and prefer instuling it from the internet .

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes by doing it some of the data are lost further more it is better to hear original cds from a good CD than an external hard drive .

If you are intending to hear high resolutions music files or compressed music files ( MP3, WAV act. ) downloading to the hard drive than hooking a good DAC can improve the sound .

SteveR750

Just to be clear, ripping CD doesn't degrade them at all, so ling as you rip into a lossless file type, FLAC is pretty universal for non Apple devices. Once you have the files stored somewhere (NAS device or simply on your computer) then a decent media player can drive an extrenal DAC, so yes, depending on what DAC you choose, you could have an extremely competent front end.

My PC is noticeably better sounding than any sub £2k CDP that I have heard, which is why I don't own one any more and spent the money on better downstream components.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi Steve ,

FLAC files may sound better if there is a good DAC but it seems pitty not the hear original cds in a quality CD that's why

I advised in my first reply to buy a good CD with an intrenal DAC such as the AUDIOLAB 8200CD or CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840C

so he can hear rip or compress files as well using the internal DAC .

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Just to be clear, ripping CD doesn't degrade them at all
+1 again.

dav1967 said:
by ripping them to a hard drive and playing them through the Onkyo 809 seemed to be the cheapest and easiest way.
That's correct. The USB port has a Direct Digital Connection meaning the audio files are sent in digital form to the internal DAC section of the Onkyo. I say "section" because it uses seperate TI Burr Brown 24/192 DACs for each channel.

Like SteveR750, I'd recommend ripping to FLAC for archival purposes. Don't forget to backup everything onto a second HDD, you don't want to have to rip everything again if the main HDD should fail.

The Onkyo also has networking capability built-in via either ethernet or optional wireless dongle (which also plugs into one of the two USB ports). This allows streaming from a NAS or computer as well as direct access to internet radio, Spotify, Napster and Last.fm.

In short, it's a serious bit of kit and no slouch in either the video or audio department.

dav1967 said:
I was wondering if i would notice a big improvement in sound if it went through an external DAC?
As mentioned above, the Onkyo is a very capable bit of kit. I'd recommend just enjoying music through it at present.

Later on, you can experiment with DACs by demoing them against the Onkyo at home to determine whether or not you feel like investing. When you have time you can approach your local Hi-Fi dealers and discuss this with them. All in your own sweet time, there's no need to rush.

SteveR750

ISAC69 said:
Hi Steve ,

FLAC files may sound better if there is a good DAC but it seems pitty not the hear original cds in a quality CD that's why

I advised in my first reply to buy a good CD with an intrenal DAC such as the AUDIOLAB 8200CD or CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840C

so he can hear rip or compress files as well using the internal DAC .

I'm guessing that English isn't your first language, and am having difficulty in understanding what you mean!

It's possible that ripped FLAC files streamed from a PC are actually less prone to data errors than real time streaming off a disc. A CDP cannot go back and re read the disc if there are errors, it has to correct them or simply dropout (the clicks you hear on scratched Cds for example). A PC streaming FLAC files into a DAC has no such problem, the data can in theory easily be "bit perfect"

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
I don't recםmmend to do it ripping your CDs will damage the quality of the sound , DAC is for a compress music to ones that

don't buy original CDs and prefer instuling it from the internet .
As others have said that's complete misinformation, even though I'm sure you you thought it was correct and you offered it with the best intentions.

As long as you rip to a lossless format, such as FLAC, WAV, Apple Lossless, AIFF, there is no 'damage' to the quality of sound.

To the OP: yes, on the assumption that your Onkyo amp does not have a DAC, you would benefit from an external DAC if you intend to use your computer to host your music.

EDIT: re-reading the replies, it does have a DAC...forgive me, my knowledge of amps made this century is sketchy at best.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I have many original cds and I am hearing them only through my CDP other music files I am hearing through my computer

connected to MUSICAL FIDELITY VDAC II , I realy don't understand why I should get reed of my excellent original quality cds collection and rip them !!!???

SteveR750

ISAC69 said:
I have many original cds and I am hearing them only through my CDP other music files I am hearing through my computer

connected to MUSICAL FIDELITY VDAC II , I realy don't understand why I should get reed of my excellent original quality cds collection and rip them !!!???

No reason at all if that's what you prefer!

It's posible to obtain a superior SQ off my PC than I could off a sensibly priced CD player. I preferred to save some money and dispense with a CD player altogether, and spend the money on a better DAC/amp/speakers. I could have bought a CDP instead of the PC, but I needed a good PC for photo editing as well, which I clearly couldn't do with a CDP!

AL13N said:
SteveR750 said:
Just to be clear, ripping CD doesn't degrade them at all
+1 again.

dav1967 said:
by ripping them to a hard drive and playing them through the Onkyo 809 seemed to be the cheapest and easiest way.
That's correct. The USB port has a Direct Digital Connection meaning the audio files are sent in digital form to the internal DAC section of the Onkyo. I say "section" because it uses seperate TI Burr Brown 24/192 DACs for each channel.

Like SteveR750, I'd recommend ripping to FLAC for archival purposes. Don't forget to backup everything onto a second HDD, you don't want to have to rip everything again if the main HDD should fail.

The Onkyo also has networking capability built-in via either ethernet or optional wireless dongle (which also plugs into one of the two USB ports). This allows streaming from a NAS or computer as well as direct access to internet radio, Spotify, Napster and Last.fm.

In short, it's a serious bit of kit and no slouch in either the video or audio department.

dav1967 said:
I was wondering if i would notice a big improvement in sound if it went through an external DAC?
As mentioned above, the Onkyo is a very capable bit of kit. I'd recommend just enjoying music through it at present.

Later on, you can experiment with DACs by demoing them against the Onkyo at home to determine whether or not you feel like investing. When you have time you can approach your local Hi-Fi dealers and discuss this with them. All in your own sweet time, there's no need to rush.

+1 for everything AL13N said.

Hold off on the external DAC and spend money on more music!

dav1967

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies.

I will rip my music to a hard drive in lossless and hold off from looking at external dacs as your opinions suggest what I thought, that the dac's within the Onkyo are more than capable of doing the job.:)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ISAC69 said:

Well, you're not allowed to "get rid" of your CDs just because you've ripped them but that's just one of several inaccuracies that you said during this thread. Do it any way you want mate, but stop passing incorrect information to other people.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Do it any way you want mate, but stop passing incorrect information to other people.
Give the guy a break LHC, it's pretty obvious he gave the advice with the best intentions and with no desire to start an argument, also it's very obvious that English is not his first language.

There's absolutely no need to abandon CD players if that's what you like. In fact the only thing which tempted me away was a long service award from work that allowed me to buy a HRC Steamer II+ at no cost.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
ISAC69 said:

Well, you're not allowed to "get rid" of your CDs just because you've ripped them but that's just one of several inaccuracies that you said during this thread. Do it any way you want mate, but stop passing incorrect information to other people.

Hi

I am not passing incorrect information , from my experience even my entry level CAMBRIGDE AUDIO CD sounds better

than any lossless music files ( that I have as well ) maybe it is more convenience to store music in hard disc but it not sounds better !

SteveR750

ISAC69 said:
The_Lhc said:
ISAC69 said:

Hi

I am not passing incorrect information , from my experience even my entry level CAMBRIGDE AUDIO CD sounds better

than any lossless music files ( that I have as well ) maybe it is more convenience to store music in hard disc but it not sounds better !

Have a good listen to a streamer through a good DAC - the Dacmagic+ would be a good comparison to your existing CA set up. Provdicing it's not iTunes or Windows Media PLayer, as these really donw work on a PC, you might be very surprised indeed!

CA are now doing some nice streamers, I've not heard them, but JD is a bit of a fan.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I compared the CA DACMagic Plus to the MF VDAC 2 and I prefered the second one I must agree to WHAT HIFI DACMagic review :
AgainstLacks dynamic power; hint of brightness to treble frequencies

TRENDING THREADS