Do cables really make a difference? Apparently not...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"][quote user="al7478"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[quote user="fr0g"]Not for the cable companies rubbing their hands together as the next mug comes along to spend hundeds of pounds on a couple of lengths of copper and plastic...:)P[/quote]

If you don't get it, don't buy it.

[/quote]

Try again. If you dont HEAR it, dont buy it.[/quote]

or yet another take: if you dont buy it, you dont get it! ;-) yes this can be taken two ways but they both work![/quote]

Or, if you don't get it you do buy it.
emotion-1.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Eddy Current"]
[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"][quote user="al7478"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[quote user="fr0g"]Not for the cable companies rubbing their hands together as the next mug comes along to spend hundeds of pounds on a couple of lengths of copper and plastic...:)P[/quote]

[/quote] Try again. If you dont HEAR it, dont buy it.[/quote] or yet another take: if you dont buy it, you dont get it! ;-) yes this can be taken two ways but they both work![/quote]

emotion-1.gif

[/quote]

bloody hell

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]

[/quote] Try again. If you dont HEAR it, dont buy it.[/quote] or yet another take: if you dont buy it, you dont get it! ;-) yes this can be taken two ways but they both work![/quote]

emotion-1.gif

[/quote]

bloody hell
[/quote]

If veryone doesn't SHUT it, they'll GET it from me. I'll bash you with my big wooden coathanger

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Jeez guys! Didn't mean to start world war 3! Im new to this Hi Fi thingy and didn't realise people were so passionate about their views on cables! I just thought it was an interesting "article". Also i did not realise its a long running debate so sorry if my thread was one of many repeats.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="SHAXOS"] Jeez guys! Didn't mean to start world war 3! [/quote]

Forum rule 37: any thread with Cable in the title will instantly trigger a whole range of Pavlovian responses, finally disappearing up its own fundament.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
As some of you will know, from my own experiences, it is my opinion that cables make a difference.

I also like a good debate but I am now getting very bored by reading the same arguments (and me writing the same arguments). I am finding that I am repeating the same thing over and over again.

Alot of my experiences with cable/ biwiring have been under enforced blind testing. Another fact that I have stated many times ( and had ignored just as many times ).

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but don't you think that opinion should be based on some kind of experience? If the opinion is based on science then that's ok to but you should be in a position to explain the science/ scientific context. People who's opinion is based on auditions need only explain their opinion in the context of the audition.

Since it has never been scientifically conclusively proven that cables do/do not make a difference, ie no papers peer reviewed / published which specifically test audio cable in the context of them making a audio difference, any and all statement about audio cables are opinions and therfore must be treated (and respected) as such.

The bottom line is it your money -you spend (or not) it as YOU see fit, it follows that you must also be prepared to live with the consequence.

Now for something more interesting: Did anyone see that documentary about one of my heroes- Steven Hawkings. Can't wait for the second part!

A

Anonymous

I tell you what it may be the oldest hifi argument of all time but it is quite entertaining reading. Its like watching an episode of Eastenders.

For what its worth I am in favour of cables. I could never comprehend how a bit of cable could make the sound different. Consequently I borrowed a number of cables from a local dealer ranging in price. Then got a mate to do a blind test. The differences in sound were staggering and I detected the high end cables easily. What I am saying is if you dont believe it, try it. Borrow a couple of cables from a local dealer and try them. I suggest as 3 very different comparisons the Chord Cobra, Chord Chameleon and Nordost Blue Heaven. Get someone to do a blind test on you (with the threat of putting the same cable on twice etc) and see if you hear a difference. I was amazed and certainly converted.

Who cares about science, etc, hifi is all about finding the sound you love and this argument is really irrlevant, even if it is placebo if it makes you enjoy your system more its surely worth the cash.

Personally I quite enjoy trying different things so long as you dont get so hung up on small detail you stop listening to music.

Bit of an essay now, well happy slagging....

A

Anonymous

HA exactly but people still keep watching it...like to point out obviously I dont!

John Duncan

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="SHAXOS"] Jeez guys! Didn't mean to start world war 3! [/quote]

Forum rule 37: any thread with Cable in the title will instantly trigger a whole range of Pavlovian responses[/quote]
.....and will end up in an Eton Mess. (D'you see what I did th.......ahforgeddit).

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"].....and will end up in an Eton Mess. (D'you see what I did th.......ahforgeddit).[/quote]

More puns about dessert. More puns now.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone tried pear cables with cream? They sound really sweet...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"]you might make him crumble[/quote]

Not if he has a crumble filter.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"]you might make him crumble[/quote]

Not if he has a crumble filter.
[/quote]

With Banana plugs on the side?