DM685 or BX2 for Rotel?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there! My first post on the forum.

I currently own a Technics amp with Wharfedale 10.1s.
The sound is warm and really bassy(good though). I miss a little detail in the top end, especially if compared to my older system. Overall it sounds nice but a little muddy sometimes.

I have read alot on this forum and others and It seems to me that the Rotel 04SE would suit me well.
The sound Im looking for is punchy, warm and detailed. I want to feel the notes in my chest.

Which speakers will give me the punchiest result for mostly electric music (house, dubstep and some rock music)

Im thinking of:
B&W 685
Monitor Audio BX2

Since I live in Stockholm there is no shop that has both brands so I cant really try them out side by side.

Have a nice day! / Patrik

matthewpiano

The ra04se sounds superb with the b&w 686s which I actually prefer to the bigger 685s. They need great care with set up but really reward when yo
u get it right. The bx2s just don't get anywhere near them IMO.

A

Anonymous

Why do you prefer 686 in front of 685 and BX2?
Punchier, more bass?

And whats the difference between 685/686 and BX2 in terms of sound?

blackholesun

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
I was also shopping for new speakers for my Rotel gear. I was looking for decent speakers for rock music, not too bright. My previous speakers, Mission m72 very too squeaky and harsh. Listened to 685 (very bright IMO), Missions and Elacs. Ended up with Dynaudios DM2/7, a great buy.

matthewpiano

In answer to your questions I feel that the 686s have a sense of coherence across the frequency range that the 685s don't pull off as successfully. Although they use exactly the same tweeter they actually sound more controlled at the top end than the 685s, possibly because of their fuller bass. This bass is, however, a result of the rear port and the 686s need VERY careful set-up, well out in free space, to give their best. Put them up against a wall or in a tight corner and you'll have too much bass. The 686s actually need more room around them than the 685s.

Powered by my Arcam A18 I find the 686s very punchy, with great dynamics and great control. They sounded a touch brighter and didn't quite have the same spatial control when I auditioned them with the RA-04SE but, given the £300 price-tag of the Rotel amp, it was a great combination all the same.

I was disappointed with the BX2s when I auditioned them. They sounded thin and bright in comparison to the B&Ws and they didn't have the overall composure or detail retrieval of either the 686s or 685s.

I would add this is purely my own personal opinion and you really should audition for yourself because we are all different. The Dynaudios mentioned by blackholesun are also well worth an audition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts