DIY Subwoofer: more power vs more drivers

salmanzulfiqar

Mar 31, 2024
Visit site
Hey guys, I am planning a basic DIY sub build as branded subs are too expensive to import in my country.

I had a question regarding power and driver choice. If I feed a 100W amp into one 4 ohm subwoofer driver, that results in X volume. If I use two 8 ohm drivers of the same type, wire then in parallel to get 4 ohm load and feed them the same 100W amp, will that produce the same X volume, or more/less volume? In other words, is it better to invest in a bigger amp or more drivers?

These are the drivers I am planning on using, these have both 4 ohm and 8 ohm versions:

Welcome to the forum! I would never consider making a sub myself, but a few thoughts might help:-

1. These are 91dB sensitive, which is greater than most smaller speakers you are likely to use them with. Therefore you are unlikely to need more volume.

2. Two drivers means a much bigger box, or mounting on different sides which has a huge effect on the design.

3. Are you going ported or sealed box?

4. Do you have a suitable ‘plate amp’ in mind?

My suggestion is stick with one driver, which you’ll find enough of a challenge unless you’re an expert - but then you’d not be asking! If you need more then build a second one!

I can’t help with the design, but I’m sure there are books you can buy/borrow, or maybe copy something similar that is mass produced. Lastly, are taxes so high that you cannot import a secondhand speaker? Good luck.

salmanzulfiqar

Mar 31, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! I would never consider making a sub myself, but a few thoughts might help:-

1. These are 91dB sensitive, which is greater than most smaller speakers you are likely to use them with. Therefore you are unlikely to need more volume.

2. Two drivers means a much bigger box, or mounting on different sides which has a huge effect on the design.

3. Are you going ported or sealed box?

4. Do you have a suitable ‘plate amp’ in mind?

My suggestion is stick with one driver, which you’ll find enough of a challenge unless you’re an expert - but then you’d not be asking! If you need more then build a second one!

I can’t help with the design, but I’m sure there are books you can buy/borrow, or maybe copy something similar that is mass produced. Lastly, are taxes so high that you cannot import a secondhand speaker? Good luck.
The speakers I am using them with are 92db sensitive, so very close. I am going with a sealed box, I would imagine ported boxes are much harder to get right. Importing here is not feasible due to high taxes and shipping (subs are heavy). SVS and similar subs, although available, are way too expensive here. Labour is relatively cheap here and I can get an mdf box made here as per design for less than $100. As for amps, I will use either a desktop amp like Aiyima A07 or a plate amp from AliExpress.

If I copy the design of an existing sealed 10 inch sub, will that not ensure that it sounds good?

If I copy the design of an existing sealed 10 inch sub, will that not ensure that it sounds good?
It’s a good start, I’m sure, but I have no idea how you will guarantee its success. Ideally an amp designed for a sub would be good, as it will have level, turnover and phase controls, all of which might be necessary for good results.

I believe that software is available to help design a cabinet volume to match a speaker’s natural resonance, but this is way beyond my experience.

Dr Google found this, and I’m sure there’s much more to research.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts