admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everybody, I have just started visiting the site as I feel it may be time to get myself some hi-fi seperates. I have been a little shocked by just how much it is possible to spend, but also very excited by the prospect of how much better my favourite music might sound on a decent system. Whilst researching on various sites, I came across some DIY hifi sites and it got me thinking. Has anyone had any experience of building an amp or dac from a kit, and if so, is it possible for someone with no experience in building electronics to successfully complete one? How do they compare with products commercially available for price/quality? Finally, if it is possible for a novice to build their own amp/dac, any suggestions where to buy from and which kits are good?

I'd appreciate your thoughts

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
lots of the price of kit is labour so when you DIY you can make your own system that rivals kit 3 times the price.For speaker kits check out IPL and Wilmslow.For great valve kits check out world audio design and hi fi collective.I wouldnt recommend a valve amp kit though to a total noob.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Speakers, especially none ported ones), passive pre amps and cables appear to the easiest things for newbies to make. No advanced soldering sklls required nor an electronics degree. There seems to be a lot of resources on the web to help you along too.

Savings can be big compared to new but less so compared to second hand, especially when you consider selling on your home made kit. There is a sense of satisfaction though.

I've only ever built a simple pair of speakers and remade a few cables for work. I still toy with the idea of doing something more ambitious.

T

the record spot

Check out the World Designs site also; they have kits available and if you fancy a tilt at doing your own speakers, their guru Peter Comeau frequents their forum too from time to time.

A

Anonymous

You'll be wanting to read this thread:

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/155384.aspx

A

Anonymous

As for my personal opinion, if I want something which allows me to enjoy my music, I'd buy an amplifier. If I wanted a new hobby, I'd build one. And if I did decide to build one, I'd definitely start with a small, battery-powered project like PJPro's, rather than launching straight into a full-blown integrated amp. 240 volts and "novice in electronics" don't really go hand-in-hand in my book.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts