DIY Amplifier components?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm currently collecting bits for a pre and power amp project, but the biggest problem that I'm having, is to find a good source for nice looking cases and switch gear. Does anyone have any recommendations or links?

When finished, I will have put in a lot of time and effort, so I want the end product to look like something that I'd like to keep in my rack for a long while. It seems a shame to source good internal components, only to have it dropped into some lab style enclosure.

Attention to detail in the asthetics of the finished article is paramount.

daveh75

Overdose:No takers or DIYers then?
PJPro is the DIYer on these forums.....

It maybe worth taking a look through his threads, as he usually lists part no.s and links to the suppliers of components used for his projects.

Edit- This thread maybe of some help!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
(swoon - there's someone else doing DIY!)

Yeap, I can provide links.....but I'm assuming you've seen the links in the link supplied by daveh75. Also take a look at the link in my signature.....it takes you to a page which lists all of my DIY projects to date (not many).

But I will try to provide more help if you need it. Just shout!

A

Anonymous

hi pjpro dont mean to hijak the thread but what do you think of this

http://www.diyfidelity.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=0_35&products_id=41

also thought their amp might be good to

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
one off:
hi pjpro dont mean to hijak the thread but what do you think of this

http://www.diyfidelity.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=0_35&products_id=41

also thought their amp might be good to

I had a quick look. I don't recognise the name of the designer, so I'd pass until I could find out something about his pedigree.

If I was looking for a DAC to build, I'd go for this one by AMB Labs. There's a rumour that a "no expense spared" DAC will be coming out of this stable in the near future.

If you wanted to go for current ultimate DIY DAC, you'd have to consider this one by Twisted Pear. This is based around the ESS Sabre32 Reference (ES9018) DAC chip which is shrouded in secrecy.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
The only DIY thing i would do would be the tentlabs hybride amp and cd player, but it comes with instructions so it wouldn't be difficult.

http://www.tentlabs.com/

They are well regarded in high end audio circles, i bet it would be almost impossible to find something better for the money.

I'm saving for this or maybe something from SACThailand, no other options for me at the moment.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for the useful links. That Tent Labs CD Kit's a bit steep! Especially for a 20 bit DAC.
emotion-3.gif

I've decided to make my own case and match it to the pre amp.

Those Bulgin switches are a bit tasty and will put the perfect finishing touch to a minimalist chassis. Sweet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts