Ditching Sky - Shall I get a Freeview or Freesat PVR?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I've got to the end of my tether with my glitchy (out of warranty) Sky HD box and also realised that the only channel I regularly watch that is only available on Sky is Sky1, and that anything I watch on there I could download. Therefore I've decided to jack it in.

I want to get a PVR, but the question is Freeview or Freesat...obviously Freesat appeals because I could still get some HD content, but in all honesty not much (does it justify paying an extra £100-odd for the Humax FS PVR compared with the equivalent FV one?) and I am rather sceptical as to whether it might actually have a long term future. Any thoughts on that?

What is the SD picture quality like on Freesat compared with Freeview? The majority of watching will obviously still be in SD. Any other considerations?

Fee

May 14, 2009
Visit site
My in-laws have Freesat, and once I'd set it to 1080i for them, rather than 576i the idiot who'd installed it had left it at, SD and HD picture quality is very good, up there with what I get on Virgin V+. Talking of which have you considered going that way?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the info Fee. Not going with Virgin because I want to save £ as much as anything. At least FV and FS don't cost anything after initial purchase.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Stick with freeveiw your pioneer set will give you a good picture. I have a KRP500A which has satellite tuner and freeveiw tuner i only watch one program on the sat tuner BBC HD the rest i watch on freeview no difference between freeveiw picture or sat picture when comparing. I ditched sky about 18 months ago not missing it at all.

TRENDING THREADS