Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Which record label and year?

Recorded at compass point studio

Mixed at muscle shoals sound

Remastered by bob ludwig gateway mastering 1996 mercury records

All.of which means nothing to me

Bob Ludwig knew what he was doing...and in '96 the recording industry hadn't caught the "Loudness Bug".

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Bob Ludwig knew what he was doing...and in '96 the recording industry hadn't caught the "Loudness Bug".

Funny enough the remaster has a worse dr of 11

The original 1984 the dr is 13

But even this remaster sounds really good

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Funny enough the remaster has a worse dr of 11

The original 1984 the dr is 13

But even this remaster sounds really good

All remasters are done hot so they sound better. You'd regret paying for the same music again if you wouldn't be able to discern the difference.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have all the dire straits albums on cd and 1 brothers in arms sacd cd and when I got married 16years ago we had from the album making movies romeo and Juliet song played at our wedding reception .

anyway great band shame they never carried on make excellent albums I think the 2 brothers feel out that's why the band split .

i feel all of the albums they have done were recorded very well and remember buying brothers in arms album when it first came out on tape and then on Cd and probably over the years brought that album 6 times as I feel it's a masterpiece .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Mark Knopfler went on to make a series of excellent solo albums and continues to do so. They all have similar production and SQ values.

Ive got golden heart
Its good ja

Think ill buy his other records
I believe he does his own recording in his own studio now.
ive seen it on youtube
He has 5 atc scm300s in 5.0

Look it on youtube

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Dire Straits were a great band. Really good musicians, well recorded albums. You can always know when Mark Knopfler is playing the guitar he is a very expressive guitarist with a technique of his own.

They were excellent live, saw them live back in 92 before they split up. Tempus fugit...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Ive got golden heart Its good ja

Think ill buy his other records I believe he does his own recording in his own studio now. ive seen it on youtube He has 5 atc scm300s in 5.0

Look it on youtube

I would recommend:

- All the road running (with Emmylou Harris)

- Get Lucky

- Privateering

- The Ragpicker's Dream

- Neck and Neck (with Chet Atkins)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

Ive got golden heart Its good ja

Think ill buy his other records I believe he does his own recording in his own studio now. ive seen it on youtube He has 5 atc scm300s in 5.0

Look it on youtube

I would recommend:

- All the road running (with Emmylou Harris)

- Get Lucky

- Privateering

- The Ragpicker's Dream

- Neck and Neck (with Chet Atkins)

Thanks
Will do

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Funnily enough Mark Knopfler was one of the first mainstream musicians to 'come out' in huge support of digital recording. Borthers In Arms was recorded and mixed entirely in the digital domain, though I don't know if it was Dire Straits' first album to be so.

Back in the 80s, digital recording meant 16 bit / 44.1 on 24 track tape, mixed down to 16/44.1 on a two-track. So be very wary of any "super duper high definition it's just like you're there better than CDs" remaster which might come out at some point, blagging you for money to re-purchase what you already own. Even if you don't share my healthy skepticism for high-definition remasters, no high definition remaster will put back what wasn't there to start with.

They know full well that as long as they use buzz-words like 'HD remaster', most punters - even so-called audiophiles - won't know or care about the technical aspect of things. Even on this forum, the way most people's eyes glaze over on threads discussing the technical side of recording / mixing / mastering is proof of that, while banging on passionately about what difference a bloody mains cable makes. So they adjust the EQ, adjust the compression, tweak the stereo widening/reverb, and bingo! Punters falling over themselves to say they've never heard it so good...

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
On the subject of Mark Knopfler, has anyone else heard of The Notting Hillbillies - Missing, presumed Having A Good Time......? More American Folk feel to it, different from DS.

Back to DS, my preferences are eponymous first record, plus Brothers In Arms and Love Over Gold.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
From DS i only really like their 1st album, some songs from the 2nd and "Private investigations". I never liked "Brothers in arms" without even considering it's soundquality.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Have always been a big fan, was introduced to them by my step dad. Live at the BBC is my personal favourite, but to be fair, I like all of their stuff to a various degree. Obviously their last album is my least favourite, although You and Your Friend is a very good track.

Another thread mentioned a bottle samsh on Private Investigations. I've re-listened to both the original vinyl, and the iTunes version, and I don't seem to hear such a thing... Can anyone tell me exactly when it should "appear"? I'm starting to worry that my system is failing to reproduce stuff that everyone else is hearing!!! Cheers....

D

Deleted member 108165

chris_bates1974 said:
Another thread mentioned a bottle smash on Private Investigations. I've re-listened to both the original vinyl, and the iTunes version, and I don't seem to hear such a thing... Can anyone tell me exactly when it should "appear"? I'm starting to worry that my system is failing to reproduce stuff that everyone else is hearing!!! Cheers....

5:41, headphones are best to hear it unless you crank the volume through speakers.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
chris_bates1974 said:
Another thread mentioned a bottle smash on Private Investigations. I've re-listened to both the original vinyl, and the iTunes version, and I don't seem to hear such a thing... Can anyone tell me exactly when it should "appear"? I'm starting to worry that my system is failing to reproduce stuff that everyone else is hearing!!! Cheers....

5:41, headphones are best to hear it unless you crank the volume through speakers.

Thanks very much... That's my much break sorted!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
it's preceeded by what I always interpretted to be a 'cat meow' on the guitar, the audio imagery being the cat knocked the milk bottle over.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Ah yes, it was pretty clear once I knew what I was listening for. I have to say, if it had come through louder, and with greater presentation, I would be in doubt that the balance of the rest of the music was correct... But that's just my opinion... I wonder if anyone knows of any other little partially hidden things to listen for in music.......

I have not tried any remastered DS, but it was de riguer to buy each LP on launch if you were an audio buff! I duly collected all the albums and CDs. Spotting the various special effects and so on was not only fun, but good for hearing differences in equipment (in those days I worked part-time in a hifi shop).

Some of MK's solo stuff I've enjoyed too. Fairly recently there was a widely recommended album, (would it be Tracker?) and having not heard him for years, I recognised him at once.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
I wonder if anyone knows of any other little partially hidden things to listen for in music.......
the profanity in the Beatles' 'Hey Jude' springs to mind, which has remained unbleeped on the radio for nearly half a century. It's not especially hidden either, once you've had it pointed out to you, you can't un-hear it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts