Dire Straits sound quality

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I, too, at 73 years old, failed to hear the milk bottle, whether on my 2 cds or LPs, so had my wife and daughter listen, and it was my daughter who just heard it. I thought I could hear something, when listening via phones, wound up a bit, but couldn't say what it was, precisely. Certainly not as obvious as Chris Rea, on Auberge.

I almost decided not to bother any further upgrades. Almost.

And at least I'm not alone.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Rethep said:
From DS i only really like their 1st album, some songs from the 2nd and "Private investigations". I never liked "Brothers in arms" without even considering it's soundquality.

Whilst I disagree with you over Brothers In Arms I remember reading somewhere that Mark Knopfler didn't like it either, but what does he know? :)

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
chris_bates1974 said:
I wonder if anyone knows of any other little partially hidden things to listen for in music.......
the profanity in the Beatles' 'Hey Jude' springs to mind, which has remained unbleeped on the radio for nearly half a century. It's not especially hidden either, once you've had it pointed out to you, you can't un-hear it.

I've never heard that.

Must listen out for it, can you give me a hint as to where it happens?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
I've never heard that.

Must listen out for it, can you give me a hint as to where it happens?

The exact time varies slightly depending on which master you're listening to, but it's there on everything but the Love version, which is a shortened edit missing the last verse, where it appears.

Listen from around 2:50, preferably to a stereo version. When Paul sings "...let her under your skin", just as he says "skin", John can be heard saying "Got the wrong chord!", likely referring to a flubbed chord change on his rhythm guitar, which was later corrected by punch-in or overdub. Most people only hear the last "...ord!" bit, and misinterpret it as "Oh!", a myth perpetuated even by McCartney himself who often sings "Oh!" here when he sings it live, including in the official music video. Immediately after as Paul sings "...then you begin...", right under the end of "begin..", John scolds his own error by shouting "f*ckin' 'ell!"

Very obvious when pointed out, and now you will always hear it...classic song ruined forever :)

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
My main memory of Brothers in Arms is back in the 80's it was my mental next door neighbour's first and for a very long time only cd. He used to play it on repeat full blast and sing along tunelessly to it. I don't mind DS but that album evokes horrid memories....

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
knaithrover said:
My main memory of Brothers in Arms is back in the 80's it was my mental next door neighbour's first and for a very long time only cd. .

I imagine it was the first CD for many new adopters. I remember reading in WHF some time late '85 early '86 that sales of BIA alone accounted for 50% of all CDs so far sold. Staggering really.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm listening to "Privateering" in 24/96....and it sounds magnificent (and how all recorded music should (could) sound. *music2*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm listening to "Privateering" in 24/96....and it sounds magnificent (and how all recorded music should (could) sound. *music2*

Ive just recieved 3 of his cds
Live bbc one and 2 others
cant remember the name

Ill also get all the others next week

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I imagine it was the first CD for many new adopters. I remember reading in WHF some time late '85 early '86 that sales of BIA alone accounted for 50% of all CDs so far sold. Staggering really.

In that way "Brothers in arms" was preceded by "Body and soul" by Joe Jackson, which did some 'introduction' for many people to buy a cd-player first!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:
Ive just recieved 3 of his cds Live bbc one and 2 others cant remember the name

Ill also get all the others next week

Let us know what albums you got....and what you think.

Ja Im busy ripping them now -

Mark Knopfler - One take radio sessions

Dire Straits - making movies

Lorde - Melodrama (Forgot about that one) thought id ordered another mk

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
knaithrover said:
My main memory of Brothers in Arms is back in the 80's it was my mental next door neighbour's first and for a very long time only cd. .

I didn't switch to cd until around 1990 - first cd Spacemen 3 - Recurring which probably accounted for a tad smaller %

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:
I'm listening to "Privateering" in 24/96....and it sounds magnificent (and how all recorded music should (could) sound. *music2*
Thanks for the tip. Now on, courtesy of Qobuz, with a nice cool beer on Fathers Day!

You're welcome...from one Father to another! *drinks*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The early albums of dire straits are very good ...

dire straits self titled

love over gold

making movies

communique

brothers in arms

i remember I had the first 4 albums on tape which said recorded on Crome tapes what ever that was back then .

Blacksabbath25 said:
The early albums of dire straits are very good ...

dire straits self titled

love over gold

making movies

communique

brothers in arms

i remember I had the first 4 albums on tape which said recorded on Crome tapes what ever that was back then .
Chrome tapes had better hi frequency performance than regular ferric types. But neither was a patch on the LPs!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I've got one album tucked away somewhere: 'Making Movies'. And from memory, it sounded s##t. Then again it has been over 20 years since I last heard it.

**** as in this music sounds ****
Or **** sound quality production?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
But neither was a patch on the LPs!

Often the case but really only because they couldn't afford to repro musicassettes on quality machinery in real time. From a technical perspective, type II or type IV tape on a decent recorder would comfortably wipe the floor with LPs, which compared to tape had pretty much worse of everything: worse FR, worse S/N, worse channel separation. But clearly that's a debate for a different thread :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Crome tapes what ever that was

You don't know what Chrome / Type II tape was?? What about metal tape? Jesus how ancient am I...
well am older to remember tapes and I did have a lot of them when I first started it wasn't an till 1989 when I brought my first metal tape a recordable one which back then were a lot of money to buy so may of brought a chrome tape without knowing about it as I used to buy TDK , BSF , Sony tapes .

i used to record the Friday rock show on radio 1 when radio one was good back in the day now it's radio 2 and radio 1 is **** .

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
nopiano said:
But neither was a patch on the LPs!

Often the case but really only because they couldn't afford to repro musicassettes on quality machinery in real time. From a technical perspective, type II or type IV tape on a decent recorder would comfortably wipe the floor with LPs, which compared to tape had pretty much worse of everything: worse FR, worse S/N, worse channel separation. But clearly that's a debate for a different thread :)

Thought this might interest you Major: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYZtTdiltTg

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah saw that a couple of weeks ago. Definitely interesting. I'd hear it. I'm open minded. But I'm also wise to being told to buy all my favourite albums yet again.

Its a strange thing. Every new LP you buy now has almost certainly come from a computer hard drive one way or another. So on the one hand there's hardly any point in buying new records when you may as well buy some digital version, be it CD or lossless download, which has the potential to be an exact copy of the file they cut the record from. But the elephant in the room is, it often isn't.

TRENDING THREADS