Digital Optical or Analogue Connections

A

Anonymous

Currently an Arcam Solo Music which does not have digital inputs. But I may be changing to an Arcam Solo Movie, which does. I suppose I wanted further justification of a reason to change ie will the Sonos sound better connecting digitally to an Arcam Solo Movie rather than through analogue to the Arcam Solo Music? I also connect to a B&W Zeppelin, but not sure if this has digital inputs.

A

Anonymous

Just found out that the Zeppelin also has optical inputs, so again, would this sound better than the analogue connections I am currently using?

A

Anonymous

Using the optical connection will let the ad conversion in the hands of the amplifier. In my experience it certainly sounds different but most of the time dacs of dedicated gear (cdp etc) outperform the dac of an amp. In home cinema (example solo movie and soundbar) I would go for the optical/coaxial route.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I'd expect the Arcam Solo range to have better DAC's, opamps, capacitors, etc than the Sonos. In that respect I would imagine that it would be better to connect digitally from the Sonos to the Arcam. Try both and let your ears be the judge.

Alternatively you could consider an external DAC such as Cambridge Audio or Beresford for music purposes. Either of these will produce good results out of the box, but can be upgraded as funds allow to produce a sound far beyond the cost of the upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Try both.

I am starting to understand that technically better does not always sound better to your ears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts