Digital music- wireless or wired????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm planning on buying a Cambridge Audio 640A Amplifier, with some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers. I am going to play my itunes on my macbook pro through this hifi set up. To improve the sound quality I am going to buy the Beresford TC-7510 DAC for between the macbook and the 640A. However, I am unsure as to what the best set up would be - should I use an Airport express and stream my music to the DAC, or should I connect it with wires (which cables would I have to use for this). What would the difference in sound quality be? Obviously the airport express would be better based on that I could have my macbook anywhere in the room, and there would be less wires - but which would sound best, and would there be a huge difference between the two?

Also, please could you comment on the set up (amp and speakers - will this be a good match?; are there any other amps and speakers that are better (simular price range) and that would perhaps be better suited together? Do any of you have any experience with this set up?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

A

Anonymous

Pretty similar to my setup, if you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch then I'd consider the wired route, you get virtually all the benefits of wireless in terms of musical control and the stability of the wired connection.

Buying the optical cable for either scenario is something to explore. Both the AE and the MacBook use the mini-toslink, which you can get as an adaptor for 2 quid on ebay, see holdenelectricalsltd, and then use any optical cable or buy a cable with fixed adaptor, eg the IXOS 108-100, a Lindy one or a Chord Optichord (6, 6 or 40 pounds)

If you've got an iPhone / iPod Touch then save the money on the AE and get better speakers or amp.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
The only thing I'd add to that is if you go down the wireless route (with the airport) you can add other airports later in other rooms and use the iphone/touch as a remote for them all.... cheap multiroom set up The beresford optical cables are pretty good for twenty quid imo.

A

Anonymous

But is there a difference in sound quality between wired and wireless???

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Shouldn't be, you're not sending audio remember, you're sending data over a network, provided the bandwidth is up to the job that data will arrive looking exactly the same, regardless of whether it's transmitted over wires or wireless.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
that was the part that blew me away after 10 years away from all things hi-fi.

in just two weeks ive gone from. 'hmm I need new speakers and an amp. maybe a one box like the arcam solo' - to streaming sonos to active speakers with a built in DAC.

A brave new world .LOL

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
'vision' once u get that all set up. maybe try a few different speakers. as you are going to have

a good quality source, good amp, so u can no doubt rely on that part. the speakers, in my recent expereince are going to make the most difference to your overall listening enjoyment.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Honestly its totally changed the way I listen. 10,000+ tracks at my fingertips that I can play in any room in my house. The apple remote software works so well... as does sonos for that matter

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just remember the extra software needed if you want to play anything other than iTunes via Airport Express. (Youtube, BBC iPlayer, internet radio, Last.fm, Spotify etc )

Someone here will know what it is called and how much it costs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts