Different USB cables with DacMagic...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone tried different USB cables with there DacMagic?

My understanding is that when audio is streamed to the DM via USB there is no data checking such as when an external HDD is connected via USB, does this mean that the USB cable can have an effect on the data being streamed to the DM?

Thanks

idc

Hi gary. You seem to be asking two questions.

I have tried different USB cables to my DACs and none made a difference to the sound. I just swapped about USB cables I already had and settled on the one with the best connector fit and a ferrite core. It is unbranded.

Regarding data checking, is there not more data checking when using a DAC than when using a hard drive? In any case, the cable is not part of data checking, so it is not going to make a difference in that respect.

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
I bought 5 star product from current issue Wireworld Ultraviolet usb but no matter how much I tried couldnt detect any difference, so cable went back and got refund.

A

Anonymous

just get a sturdy usb cable with decent connectors for longetivity. I use Belkin 5m (£6 on amazon i i think). No effect on SQ.

A

Anonymous

When I first got a Dacmagic I used the USB cable that was connected to my printer.

Since then I have used various cables - I couldn't hear any difference between them.

idc

lazar1980:I bought 5 star product from current issue Wireworld Ultraviolet usb but no matter how much I tried couldnt detect any difference, so cable went back and got refund.

I just got this months magazine today and I cried when I saw that review.
emotion-9.gif
Is there no cable that can just be bought for a few quid and thats it done.
emotion-43.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I was researching DACs the other and day and looking at the Beresford site (the US one) and was interested to read the following:

If you plan to use the USB connection, try to use a "decent" USB cable, something better than the standard USB cable commonly used with computer systems. We have found that there is dramatic sound quality improvement in doing so. We are not sure why this is because you are basically just transfering "0" and "1" data from your computer but it does seem to make a noticable difference. We are currently working with AudioQuest in providing a quality USB cable to our customers.

Of course I couldn't possibly comment
emotion-16.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:
I was researching DACs the other and day amd looking at the Beresford site (the US one) and was interested to read the following:

If you plan to use the USB connection, try to use a "decent" USB cable, something better than the standard USB cable commonly used with computer systems. We have found that there is dramatic sound quality improvement in doing so. We are not sure why this is because you are basically just transfering "0" and "1" data from your computer but it does seem to make a noticable difference. We are currently working with AudioQuest in providing a quality USB cable to our customers.

emotion-16.gif

That is the USA distributor not the manufacturer talking.

Sanity prevails on the manufacturer's own site where the most expensive cable offered is £19.99 and USB cable choice is not even mentioned.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Im not getting into another 'digital cable' debate but it does remind me of something I found whilst looking for answers ~

On another forum (So obviously cant provide a link even if I knew what it was, think it was American too if memory serves), they were testing usb cables between REALLY high end kit

They had a standard computer usb and something along the lines of a kimber with a 'ferrite' on one end

They did some form of blind test and found the cheapie cable sounded ever so slightly better

They then cut off the ferrite (!) and did more tests

THIS time they found the kimber (I think it was a kimber anyways) was definitely better

This was testing sound quality on a hifi using some form of blind test on the rest of the present forum members and certainly intrigued me. These guys sounded like REAL hifi geeks too.

Moral is ~ these ferrites possibly dont always work to your advantage

idc

professorhat:

I was researching DACs the other and day and looking at the Beresford site (the US one) and was interested to read the following:

emotion-16.gif

Musical Fidelity also recommend using a 'decent' USB cable for connecting to the V8P amp. No detail is given as to what counts as decent. So I bought an Oehlbach cable off Amazon for £27. It was exactly the length I wanted, had a ferrite core, the connector fit was excellent, the cable bent and stayed in shape and it was well under my £50 budget for any cable. I own up to hearing no difference to the other USB I had to connect laptop to hard drive. But that cable was too short and the connector felt loose.

Typically when I got my DAC it was a mini-B connector, so the Oehlbach is in the cables box for now. The USB supplied with the DAC also has a ferrite core, the connectors fit tightly and it is the right length. So after my first experience, I will not be changing it.

I am surprised Rick, by your report that testing found a preference for no ferrite core. Headphones into a laptop reveal loads of noise and every other cable I have to connect to the laptop has a ferrite core.

A

Anonymous

I doubt very much that a functioning, standard cable will have a problem in transferring the bits correctly, Of course, a cheap cable can be faulty, or have bad connectors.

What I do not know is whether the connection between the ground of the computer and the dac (and hence the rest of the chain) might affect SQ. I can imagine that if the ground is not clean it may have an impact on the analog part of the circuitry of the dac if that part is not properly shielded? And there also is the USB 12V line that might have an effect perhaps, I don't know. Even so, I do not really see that a "better" cable would change this.

I assume that errors in the bitstream would be similar to read errors on a cd due to scratches etc - I suppose that we all know how to recognize these, and I have not encountered them yet (except if the rip was bad of course).

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
idc:
I am surprised Rick, by your report that testing found a preference for no ferrite core. Headphones into a laptop reveal loads of noise and every other cable I have to connect to the laptop has a ferrite core.

Ive seen a few tests now whereby the sound was deemed to be better with the ferrite removed (Im talking cables in general now)

Though I suppose 'better' is all subjective if only done with the ears

davydmx

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi!

Er, i'm new here, but decided to sign up after reading this thread!! I've recently started using the Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cable in my system (ALAC/Foobar/Moodlab Dice/Marantz PM7003/B&W685)

It's excellent! It's improved the sound all round (similar to what was said in WHF review)

So, it amazed me when an earlier poster stated that he'd sent his Ultraviolet cable back for a refund!

I don't get it. The cable's made an OBVIOUS improvement in my system. Money well spent!

???

idc

Hi davydmx. The difference can be accounted for by synergy where different kit and cables work better in some setups than in others. Furthermore, some people have better hearing, also known as 'golden ears'. My wife can very accurately pick out different bit rates in a blind test, better than I can.

The 'OBVIOUS'ness of your experience compared to anothers, is a major reason why cables cause much debate on this and other forums.

I recently tried a bit rate comparison test and could not tell the difference, as with others. But there were others who were in the camp of 'how can you not hear that?', 'ARE YOU DEAF?' and serious advice to get our hearing checked as if it was some sort of medical emergency.

Regarding cables and bit rates I am in the camp of some cables/different bit rates make some difference in some systems to some people.

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
davydmx:
So, it amazed me when an earlier poster stated that he'd sent his Ultraviolet cable back for a refund!

I don't get it. The cable's made an OBVIOUS improvement in my system. Money well spent!

???

I`m very glad that ultraviolet improved your system, it simply didn`t mine.

Is it because I dont have golden ears? Well, I dont know but as stated it`s an OBVIOUS improvment so I might be deaf
emotion-7.gif
, or could it be that my cheap(free) cable that`s on duty at the moment simply does it`s job correctly?

Regards

idc

lazar1980: ......or could it be that my cheap(free) cable that`s on duty at the moment simply does it`s job correctly?

My money is on that reason lazar1980. Like me you have kept the free cable. As to whether it was originally cheap or not, who knows? It could have cost the manufacturer 50p or whatever to buy in bulk. To you and me it may cost £5.00 if buying just the one. I wonder how much the Wireworld cable's parts cost. But my 'cheap(free)' USB fits like a glove, better than all other USB cables I have. So I am sure it is doing it's job correctly.

davydmx

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Hey, i hope i didn't come across too 'clever' in my last post!!

I just meant that the improvement the Ultraviolet cable brought to my system was pretty clearcut for me.

I fully appreciate it may not work for others the same!

Just to repeat, i think WHF totally nailed it in their description of the Ultraviolets qualities!

A

Anonymous

Chebby , I reckon you are the man who could help me ....

I want to connect my pc to my amp via a Beresford 7520 with the op amp upgrade . I am not sure how to do it.

The nice Mr Stanley is doing the mod for me and said I needed a usb cable but what else do I need ?

I reckon it goes optical/ digital from back of pc to dac then phonos from dac to amp ...is that right and where does the usb fit in

I'm taking a punt on the Bersford over the Dac Magic because there's a lot of people who think the B is better

Cheers

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
if your pc has a optical out, you don't need the usb cable.

just use optical to dac and interconnects between dac and amp.

and just to mix it up a bit more for you, i've just changed my beresford for a dacmagic. system matching can make or break the overall result you get. very roughly speaking, if you want a more natural sound with more bass, get a dacmagic. if you want a more upfront, exciting sound, get the beresford. there isn't a vast difference between them, but if the rest of your system leans one way or the other, then adding a bit more of it might not be a good idea. i got the beresford because my old speakers packed a lot of bass, and in combination with my new amp were too bassy in tone, so the beresford helped correct that. my new speakers are much tighter and controlled in the bass, which was a bit too lean sometimes with the beresford. got another dacmagic and, perfecto! hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts