Differenence between Panasonic th42pz85/ th42pz85b/th42pz85ba

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im looking to purchase this plasma, comet have it for £799 but apon checking there spec it does not support 24fps, have spoke with them direct but they can not answer this question. Have been on Panasonic web site but they list just the 1 model. Does anyone know if specs are the same or vary thanks.

A

Anonymous

I'd be almost 100% certain that this is the same set 3 times. The reason for the difference in code is to do with all that price promise stuff.

Fo example Comet might sell the pz85, Currys the pz85b and Argos the pz85ba. This allows them to say that their set is unique and avoids the "we'll refund the difference if you find it cheaper elsewhere" problem.

The fact that Pansonic only list one model should tell you all you need to know.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes & NO the model No. can vary slightly between curry's comet & argos for example, but the "B" on the end of the code means it's been made for the british market, if it has a "E" on the end then it is the european market, and a "U" means the us market.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again I just didn't want to get it home and find it was not 24fps.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Agree with above, got my PZ85 through Audio T got a PZ85B, when queried the reason told it was for UK market. Basically plug connection and voltages differ.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Edmundo:Im looking to purchase this plasma, comet have it for £799 but apon checking there spec it does not support 24fps, have spoke with them direct but they can not answer this question. Have been on Panasonic web site but they list just the 1 model. Does anyone know if specs are the same or vary thanks.

I have a TH-42PZ85B and the operating instructions booklet list it supporting 24p real cinema which i presume is the their way of saying 24fps.

A

Anonymous

PZ85 is the generic model name across the world. PZ85B signifies it is British. PZ85BA means it has been modified from the original release spec.

A

Anonymous

Ahh right, do you know in what way it has been modified. I'm guessing not for the better, thats why Comet have them for £799.00 cheapest I've found.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Not a great deal at COMET unless they throw in the 5yr warrenty. RS or Empire direct have them for around that price with 5Yr warrenty. Remember price is not everything. I personally have had fantastic service from Audio T for many years which imo is worth more than saving afew quid. To test the product knowledge of COMET salestaff ask about the difference between 24p and 24p real cinema.

The latter is a by product of IFC (intelligent fram creation) which inserts frames between frames to reduce jaggies (makes itlook to video like formy likings).

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for your comments. You are right price is not everthing but it does help. I am interested to find out in what way the th42pz85ba as been modified from the th42pz85b.

A

Anonymous

They are all the same spec. The modification will be in software/firmware updates rather than new/different features.

Z85 supports 24fps playback of Bluray.

A

Anonymous

I have been advised today by an independant source that Comet TH42PZ85BA does not include 24p technology nor light sensor. Comet website supports this reduced spec. TH42PZ85B claims to have both additions - anyone comment / clarify pls?

A

Anonymous

dpattinson:I have been advised today by an independant source that Comet TH42PZ85BA does not include 24p technology nor light sensor. Comet website supports this reduced spec. TH42PZ85B claims to have both additions - anyone comment / clarify pls?

Rest assured that ALL TH42PZ85B models have both 24p technology and light sensor.

A

Anonymous

Reading this discussion sent shivers down my spine. THE SHIVERS ARE STILL THERE.

I bought a TH-42PZ85BA from comet a few weeks ago being certain and assured by the vendor that it supports 24p real cinema. I don't have a 24p source yet but expecting to buy one in the near future and being very excited about the prospects.

Indeed the common sense would be that the pz85B and pz85BA would be identical british models just sold by different company.

On the comet website

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/450340/PANASONIC-TH-42PZ85BA/tab/specification

there is a cross (x) rather than a tick next to both "24p Technology" and sensor.

I went back to the manual for my TH-42PZ85BA and as you open it on Page 3 there is the "24p Real Cinema" - "The 24p source data of movies is converted into a video signal with 6 frames / 0.1 second. This produces smoother movie playback.

Page 9 confirms there is mention of a "C.A.T.S (Contrast Automatic Tracking System sensor) - senses brightness to adjust picture quality in "Eco" mode in Picture Menu". I can actually see this sensor on my PANASONIC-TH-42PZ85BA

So the Comet website is wrong about the sensor but is it also wrong about the 24p ? I don't know because I don't have a real 24Hz source yet. And even if I did how could I prove it? If it would display it how would I know it's in Real Cinema?

I read on a different thread here

http://whathifi.com/forums/2/48817/ShowThread.aspx

that The PZ80 and PZ85 when given a 24Hz source are supposed to perform a 4:4 pulldown (unlike the US model which only does 2:3 pulldown - lucky us). Therefore it displays at 96Hz!!!

If it's 96Hz then why is the manual saying 6 frames in 0.1 sec next to the 24p Real Cinema ?

Very dubious.

1 Does TH-42PZ85BA really have 24p Real Cinema ? Is the COMET website above wrong?

2 How is it done ? What type of pulldown 4:4 ? 2;3 ? or 3:3 like I read somewhere else?

A

Anonymous

I compared the manuals of the different flavours of pz85 and there is no significant difference among the british/european models.

I also found this pdf file on the Romanian Panasonic web page

http://panasonic.ro/files/cataloage/17_CATALOG_VIERA.pdf

which clearly states 96Hz playback for 24p sources therefore almost certainly 4:4 pulldown as Clare Newsome stated a while back from her source at Panasonic.

Great plasma PZ85. And my 42" was only £799

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts