Differences between pmc 20.21 and 25.21

Jez l

May 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi all

Has anyone listened to both speakers listed above and care to provide any feedback?

I have the 20.21s which I love and am thinking of upgrading to the 25.21s. Doubt I'll be able to get a demo given the current situation so I maybe buying blind hence my question.

I'm aware that the new 25.21i are out now but these are out of my budget now!

Appreciate any thoughts/ feedback

Jez l

May 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in no rush at all... just reviewing options really. I guess I'd be thinking of purchasing toward q3 of this year. cheers

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi,

I'm in no rush at all... just reviewing options really. I guess I'd be thinking of purchasing toward q3 of this year. cheers
Hi all

Has anyone listened to both speakers listed above and care to provide any feedback?

I have the 20.21s which I love and am thinking of upgrading to the 25.21s. Doubt I'll be able to get a demo given the current situation so I maybe buying blind hence my question.

I'm aware that the new 25.21i are out now but these are out of my budget now!

Appreciate any thoughts/ feedback

I've heard both in my quest for speakers last year and an older 2023, And i have to say for the price difference its not night and day at all. There's less port noise at higher volumes and the bass is cleaner and more tactile, but I'm talking about really small differences. Think of the 25 series as refinement, not a replacement. They are a very smooth airy listen with lots of texture. The imagining is fantastic but pretty much the same across old and new, they do require some juice, so something to bear in mind. Are the new worth the premium, NO! I wouldn't be able to tell you were playing if had my back turned or even looking at them standing side by side.

Ultimately didn't get either as the Transmission Line didn't really like my room, placing the bass out of it rather than in, something to be aware of especially with the floor-standing models on floating floors.

As you seem to be just doing research, If you have the chance take a listen to Revel m106 much the same characteristics of the PMC but livelier, bolder and not afraid to let loose, just more of everything mentioned above. M106 put the PMCs (and many other brands) to utter shame in all regards, fit and finish (the gloss finish is something else, no orange peel effect, its like glass), drivers ( they use one of the best mid-bass drivers money can buy), The sound in the showroom and in my home it wasn't even a close run thing! they blend really well with Naim. And they're now a fair bit cheaper than the PMC i series.

One thing i really didn't like about the PMC's was their ability to play quietly, They lost their fullness at low volumes you really do have to put more rotation on the volume dial to get a full sound. The Revels did alot alot better in this regard if that's important to you. And looking at there spec sheet you wouldn't think they would, but hey ho they did it much better.

Hope that helps have fun when you get a chance to listen, at the end of the day there all top-class speakers and im sure you'd be happy with any of them.

Jez l

May 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for detailed response. That is very interesting and insightful

The revels sound very interesting, I'll try to get a listen of these.

Regards to the pmc. You've just reminded me, I did actually demo the 25.21s a few years ago, they were out of my budget back then so settled on the 20.21s. Granted I demoed the 25.21s at a shop, but listened to the 20.21s at home, to be honest I didn't notice a night and day difference. I thought the treble was hotter on the 25.21s but that could have been due to a number of reasons, not yet run in/different cable setup in the demo room.

Yes I do have quite a bit of power on hand to drive by speakers, 200w monoblocks in a smallish room so they can get things going at low volumes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts