Difference in Blu-Ray

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey, I have a PS3 for blu-ray which is ok, but i need to upgrade. My dad bought the Pioneer BDP-320 yesterday which has been both well recieved and he loves the picture and sound quality.

Now i'm looking to get one myself, but have been told that the cheaper Sony BDP-S360 is no worse for picture quality but is £200 cheaper. I have a samsung LED screen (6 series) and a Sony DA2400ES Av with jamo speakers. I want the quality but £200 is well worth saving if indeed it is no worse.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
One of our guys here has recently changed from a PS3 to a BDP320, and he's staggered by the difference - well recommended! We don't sell Sony, so I can't say how it'll compare.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The Sony is a great budget player, as you can read in our review. But the Pioneer just has the edge when it comes to uncovering fine detail. Whether you feel it's worth paying £200 more is up to you - but if you do decide to spend nearer the £400 mark, you'd be well advised to wait for our Awards 2009 issue, on sale October 20th.
emotion-5.gif

mjs

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough:The Sony is a great budget player, as you can read in our review. But the Pioneer just has the edge when it comes to uncovering fine detail. Whether you feel it's worth paying £200 more is up to you - but if you do decide to spend nearer the £400 mark, you'd be well advised to wait for our Awards 2009 issue, on sale October 20th.
emotion-5.gif

Ah!! The search for the elusive OPPO?

A

Anonymous

Sounds Good. Andy, any chance of telling me the alternative. leaking it early so I can go buy ...

A

Anonymous

Ah I see, a little out of my price range. However, Sony, S360 or S560?

Thanks

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
having not seen either (quite the caveat!), I believe the picture processing is the same in the 360 and 560. The 560 has HD audio decoding. The step-up in picture quality (I think) kicks in at the 760.

A

Anonymous

Big Aura out of sheer nosiness why have you not taken the blu ray plunge?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
If you hunt about, the BDP-320 can now be had for £320-ish online.

However, make sure you're hooking up the BDP-320 to a TV that's 1080p/24fps, otherwise its Blu-ray PQ will be no better than a PS3's, while its DVD upscale PQ will actually be worse.

And I speak/write as one who's 'bought it; seen it; made the f*** up!'

And, FWIW, I think the BDP-320 is worth the extra £s.

manicm

mjs:Andy Clough:The Sony is a great budget player, as you can read in our review. But the Pioneer just has the edge when it comes to uncovering fine detail. Whether you feel it's worth paying £200 more is up to you - but if you do decide to spend nearer the £400 mark, you'd be well advised to wait for our Awards 2009 issue, on sale October 20th.
emotion-5.gif

I would not jump the gun here. I've read a UK review of the Oppo, and while it got 5*s, the review also stated it wasn't the last word in noise elimination.

I may well be wrong but I think the Pioneer will pip it on sheer video prowess.

manicm

6th.replicant:manicm:

And price..?

450 for the Oppo? But then it plays SACD and DVD-A as well, so it's very good value.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
daveywavey18:Big Aura out of sheer nosiness why have you not taken the blu ray plunge?

that is NONE of your business.

emotion-2.gif

When I bought my screen I could have opted for a S350 for an extra £50, but I'd planned to get a better (non-budget) player and when I researched it, things like the lag on start up etc would annoy me so I thought I'd wait until the tech got better. Also, was meant to be buying a house, which would have been cause for a new reciever and a blu-ray player, but that's been stalled. I think I'll pick up an Oppo (or maybe something else, once the awards come out...!), as I can't wait much longer!

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
manicm:
mjs:Andy Clough:The Sony is a great budget player, as you can read in our review. But the Pioneer just has the edge when it comes to uncovering fine detail. Whether you feel it's worth paying £200 more is up to you - but if you do decide to spend nearer the £400 mark, you'd be well advised to wait for our Awards 2009 issue, on sale October 20th.
emotion-5.gif

I would not jump the gun here. I've read a UK review of the Oppo, and while it got 5*s, the review also stated it wasn't the last word in noise elimination.

And don't rule out the Sony S760, with picture processing tech straight from the £1K 5000ES . RRP £400 but Sony BDP prices seem to tumble quickly. The there's the new Denon...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts