Devon AVR1910 + B&W 685 theatre speakers (Noob needs help, please)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,
I am in need of some advice. I'm on the verge of buying my first 'proper' amp and speakers. I've only got about £1500 to spend and so far I like the look of the Devon AVR- 1910 Amplifier and B&W 685 theatre speakers. Does anybody in the know think this is a good/bad combination to go for? And is there anything i should be aware of before purchasing.

Thanks for your time,
Jacko.b (noob).

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Both products received 5 stars, and work well together, but to get the most out of the B&W 685, they deserve a better amp around the £600 price mark or higher. You won't be dissapointed, but i feel something like the Denon 2310 will squeeze more out of them and give you more dynamics.Also speaker cables and stands or wall brackets will be needed, and that will stretch the budget at least another £100 plus.Many owners have started with this combination and ended up changing their amp, so an audition would be advisable.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest (having tried the 1910 at home, admittedly with older B&W 600 speakers) that a Yamaha RX-V1065 would serve you very well. It's cheaper than the 2310. I can't comment directly on how the 2310 compliments B&W speakers, but I was much happier with the tone and control of the Yamaha 1065 compared with the Denon 1910.

Of course, audition them all to decide what would suit you best; and perhaps also look at new (3D compatible) models. It's that time of year where you can pick up some great bargains on last year's range before they're discontinued.

One day I'll learn to post a link to a thread, but the merits or shortcomings of these receivers were debated extensively on this forum previously. Both myself and another forum member, eventually, and after much agonising, went for the Yamaha 1065.

Hope this helps.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I should add, the Yamaha 1065 can be bought for £450 at the moment (it originally retailed at £700). It's in a different price bracket to the Denon 1910 but can now be bought for only a little more. The 2310 will set you back more than either the 1910 or 1065.

I should also mention that all of these receivers only support HDMI v. 1.3 (so won't allow pass through of 3D, if that's important to you).

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:Good lord, it's a Pioneer! Whatever next...?

I don't know but someone said in another thread the end of the world in 2012
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

Cheers guys, all useful information. The general feedback seems to be that the speakers outclass the amp so I'm investigating some slightly more expensive ones like the pioneer and yamaha, as mentioned above. I was also interested in auditioning the B&W MT-25s but I'll definitely try and spend a bit more on the amp, even if it does mean selling a kidney. Although if that happens at least I'll have a good speaker set up to enjoy while making a recovery from the surgery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts