Devialet Phantom Gold

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Apparently better than the silver, according to some users: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3375 . They also have airplay built-in, which is a major plus, not to mention 4500W and 108 db, plus they go down to 14hz.

Anyone heard them yet? I'm talking about in the home, not demos at HiFi shows or some dealers who believe loud is the only selling point :)

shadders

avole said:
Apparently better than the silver, according to some users: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3375 . They also have airplay built-in, which is a major plus, not to mention 4500W and 108 db, plus they go down to 14hz.

Anyone heard them yet? I'm talking about in the home, not demos at HiFi shows or some dealers who believe loud is the only selling point :)
Hi Mr avole,

I see your posts last night were rapidly deleted.

Regards,

Shadders.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Good to see you making a positive contribution to this thread, shadster.

Have you heard the Devialets at all, as per my previous post?

shadders

avole said:
Good to see you making a positive contribution to this thread, shadster.

Have you heard the Devialets at all, as per my previous post?
Hi,

Apologies, but there is no private messaging on the forum. You were taking the pee quite a bit.

No comment on the Devialet.

Regards,

Shadders.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Unlike other legacy active speaker assemblers !

You haven't heard them, have you? Do yourself a favour, take a pair home on trial and give your ears a treat, remembering that the stunning sound you'll be listening to comes from a setup costing less than your current system.

You'll eat your words, put the Hegel/ATC up for sale, and hopefully send me a nice single malt whisky to me for having put you onto them.

P.S. Mind you, to be fair, the Dynaudio Xeos would beat your current system.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget, this is a pair of speakers. Like any other speaker, they can and will be assessed subjectively just as well as objectively. Many on these forums have heard them, and have stated they don't get what all the fuss is about. For their size they go loud. They look different. They sound clean. Those that like their "bass" on the strong side will probably love them, but those that prefer their bass to not take charge of the proceedings may not. To me, it's almost like they've gone for the bass orientated, immediately impressionable market, much like the budget standmount market. They had bucket loads of bass in our demo room, which means they'd have easily sold, but once most users got them home, they'd find they're just way too bassy for the average room.

Like all active speakers with onboard DSP, much of their impressive capabilities won't necessarily be down to their natural abilities. As I mentioned earlier, they'll go loud, but there's circuitry in place that will curtail dynamics in order to protect the speaker when it is out of its depth. It may sound like they've defied the laws of physics, but those laws still exist, and this circuitry will be distorting the sound, whether many can hear it or not. Meridian were doing this in the 90s.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
listen to them at home, David, you'll be surprised, even shocked. You don't sell them, but I presume they're available at an Apple store near you.

I'm not remotely a strong bass person, but do like classical music, and the Phantoms excel at that. Detailed, clean, neutral, what more is there? Too bassy at home? Not really, in fact they've been criticised for being light on at low listening levels. Much of the criticism seems to come from the publicity, the marketing (Apple) and, justifiably, the fact they have no analogue inputs.

Really, though, they are hard to beat. You should stock them, you'll sell shed loads and the new Bentley you've been hankering after may suddenly be within reach :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
avole said:

You haven't heard them, have you? Do yourself a favour, take a pair home on trial and give your ears a treat, remembering that the stunning sound you'll be listening to comes from a setup costing less than your current system.

You'll eat your words, put the Hegel/ATC up for sale, and hopefully send me a nice single malt whisky to me for having put you onto them.

Are you now talking about phantoms?

If so ive heard them and they sounded c rap

Ive listened to devialet 800 and that was more comparable to my current set up in sound quality.

Btw when did you do a direct comparison between these amps and speaker combos and in what dealer.

If you have not then talk over.

Btw why are you so insecure about avi speakers when ive not even mentioned them. Why are most devialet owners insecure about them?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
avole said:
listen to them at home, David, you'll be surprised, even shocked. You don't sell them, but I presume they're available at an Apple store near you.
I don't need to. I've heard them in a room I'm very familiar with, and have heard loads of other speakers in too, so I know that what to expect at home.

Too bassy at home? Not really, in fact they've been criticised for being light on at low listening levels.
I was referring to our demo room not retaining all the bass a speaker is capable of. Most speakers have more bass and bass impact in a typical home environment than in our demo room that has no solid walls.

Really, though, they are hard to beat. You should stock them, you'll sell shed loads and the new Bentley you've been hankering after may suddenly be within reach :)
We were offered them. We refused them.

Not overly keen on modern Bentleys myself.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
avole said:

Yet another AVI critic unknowingly being a member of their advertising team.
Maybe that's why they resent them so much ?!
If I'm not mistaken, is it not the owners of AVI who are supposed to be brainwashed ?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
They also have airplay built-in, which is a major plus, not to mention 4500W and 108 db, plus they go down to 14hz.

4500W continuous into 8 Ohm? SPL 108 db?

ATC SCM20ASL PRO v2 - 108 db

Dynaudio Lyd 7 can do 109 db

Event Opal - 111 db

I won't give you AVI DM10's SPL cause most probably you couldn't handle it *crazy*

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
No, Andy, admit it, you didn't, did you.

Incidentally, the name of this thread gives away what it is about: DEVIALET PHANTOMS :) . You must learn to read closely. As to where I heard them, and against which system, the clue is in a four letter word beginning with the letter 'h' and having an 'o', 'm' and 'e' in the mix. Not my one, but against my own system. Not a dealer in site, even though at that time I wasn't too far from Marseille.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
still, the max SPL is nothing above average..

in case you couldn't understand DM10s spec.. 250W mid/bass is spec at half peak. which is same as Opals, 20ASLs, Lyds, TwoTwo's and many other active monitors of similar size.

ps. so they selling phantoms in apple stores? must fit beats bass fanboys.. I'm not surprised then.

shadders

lpv said:
still, the max SPL is nothing above average..

in case you couldn't understand DM10s spec.. 250W mid/bass is spec at half peak. which is same as Opals, 20ASLs, Lyds, TwoTwo's and many other active monitors of similar size.

ps. so they selling phantoms in apple stores? must fit beats bass fanboys.. I'm not surprised then.
Hi,

For the statement you havr made - 250Watts at half peak, where on their site (AVI) is this stated?

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
it's all over avi forum. but if for any reason you don't like the fact it's not stated on avi website you free to email new avi director to correct this.

btw, are you ok with DM5 specs?

shadders

lpv said:
it's all over avi forum. but if for any reason you don't like the fact it's not stated on avi website you free to email new avi director to correct this.

btw, are you ok with DM5 specs?
Hi,

If people on this site claim 250W, then they have a duty to provide the evidence and specifications under which this is a bona fide fact. Else they should be challenged.

We on this forum do not have the responsibility to validate the claims on another forum. If people on this forum are regurgitating statements on another forum, and they accept without any thought or questioning, then they should be challenged.

Regards,

Shadders.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
you did not answer my question but if I might suggest something to you:

instead of loosing precious energy debating specs, why don't you email AVI, say you cannot watch patiently this obvious specs abuse and sort this once and forever? do not forget to email dynaudio, atc, event etc

also, do not hesitate to inform trading standards and tell them all about it.

shadders

lpv said:
you did not answer my question but if I might suggest something to you:

instead of loosing precious energy debating specs, why don't you email AVI, say you cannot watch patiently this obvious specs abuse and sort this once and forever? do not forget to email dynaudio, atc, event etc

also, do not hesitate to inform trading standards and tell them all about it.
Hi,

Why should I validate a fact that YOU and others are stating. Either provide accurate information, or stop posting false claims.

What have those other manufacturers got to do with it?

The AVI owners are blindly accepting what they read or are told, and then argue with technically capable people (I exclude myself at this point), using these supposed facts to support their argument.

If the challenging of AVI owners who state passive speakers are inferior is such an issue, then the AVI owners should at least present the facts which they understand. Not regurgitate other forum posts without understanding them.

Regards,

Shadders.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
why other manufacturers?

I've answered this in another thread ( avi dm5) but seems you've ignore it

" In the last few days I've exchanged some emails with dynaudio, pmc, event, atc and avi regarding the way they spec their monitors... if you check similar size two way active desings ( even opal, atc scm 20asl pro v2, pmc twotwo 6, dynaudio lud 7, avi dm10) you'll see that mid/bass in all of them is capable of roughly 500W peaks and DM10s mid/bass is spec at half peak."

so you do not feel tech capable?

fair enough.

shadders

lpv said:
why other manufacturers?

I've answered this in another thread ( avi dm5) but seems you've ignore it

" In the last few days I've exchanged some emails with dynaudio, pmc, event, atc and avi regarding the way they spec their monitors... if you check similar size two way active desings ( even opal, atc scm 20asl pro v2, pmc twotwo 6, dynaudio lud 7, avi dm10) you'll see that mid/bass in all of them is capable of roughly 500W peaks and DM10s mid/bass is spec at half peak."

so you do not feel tech capable?

fair enough.
Hi,

What does this "roughly peak" mean? What is "half peak"?

Questions that need to be answered are, what frequency was used, what was the waveform used, what duration was the waveform, what is the load impedance for this "peak"?

Do you see? The numbers are meaningless unless you know the above.

People on this forum glibly stating the number 250 as a response to a technical subject shows that they don't know the context the number is being provided under.

Regards,

Shadders.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
sorry mate to disappoint you, I was looking for bit of fun while waiting for my car being repaired.. looks like the car is done now so you do carry on this severely tech incapable babble with others..

tra...!

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
lpv vanquished !

Now, can we return to the infinitely superior speakers that actually use modern technology ?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts