FiiO E17 DAC and headphone amp review by Dale

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Review note: I configured my computer settings to play 96 khz music tracks ('.WAV' format on the computer, using Foobar2000), and made certain that any of the E17's settings for bass, treble, balance etc. were set to default (off). I connected the E17 to the computer as an ordinary USB DAC, so that the E17 would process the USB digital output and feed that to its own internal headphone amp. I then connected my headphone to the E17's headphone out. Since the USB cable that's used with the E17 carries only the unprocessed digital signal, and the output to the headphone uses the cable that comes attached (usually) to the headphone, there are no cable issues per se that could potentially degrade the sound. I set the computer's volume to maximum and then used the E17's volume controls to set the headphone listening volume.

I knew before I ordered the FiiO E17 that it was small, but when I removed it from the box it looked even smaller - slightly smaller than a deck of cards. One thing I really like about the E17 which is also true of the other DAC-plus-headphone-amp's I have is that it runs cool. So far I haven't detected any tendency for it to become warm laying flat on a table, where only the top and sides are able to act as heat sinks. I really hope this is a trend in personal audio, since I've bought laptop and tablet computers recently that get uncomfortably warm.

For those people who have been using the headphone jack on their desktop or laptop computers, and assuming that those computers have USB ports, they should expect better sound using the E17 instead of the computer's headphone jack. The fact that the E17 includes both a DAC and headphone amp in such a small package at a relatively low price, suggests to most audiophiles that the E17's sound would be of much less quality than the typical separate DAC's and headphone amps selling for 2 to 3 times the price of the E17.

I don't own the more expensive separates myself, but I have the Objective2 headphone amp that sells (assembled version) for more than the E17 even though the E17 is two components in one. And I don't hear anything to suggest that the E17 has lower sound quality than the Objective2, or that the E17 is less than a good upgrade to the computer's headphone jack for a bargain price. The actual improvement with my computers is a cleaner sound with a greater sense of "space" and "air" around the instruments. My experience in making that comparison taught me that I would not notice a major difference when switching from the computer's headphone jack to the E17's headphone jack. But when you listen through the E17's headphone jack for awhile and then switch back to the computer's headphone jack, that's when you notice how some of the life goes out of the sound.

An important issue to consider when purchasing audio components to improve sound quality is detail, i.e. how much additional detail will be revealed in the music tracks by the new components. It's possible that a new audio component could reveal existing distortions in the recording in a way that makes them less pleasant to listen to, and some buyers may experience that dreaded feeling of "Uh-oh, I need to buy more stuff", or "Crap - this isn't working out the way I expected". I didn't have that issue with the E17 though - the sound was more revealing but less harsh, and that seems to be a typical result of upgrading the computer's DAC and headphone amp.

I did have the Audioengine D1 DAC/amp on hand to compare to the E17, and so I set up two laptop PC's with identical installs of Foobar2000 v1.1.12 and played a few 24 bit 96 khz tracks on them, using the new B&W P3 headphone from each DAC/amp's headphone jack. There was a significant difference with the D1 having noticeably better soundstage or "space", with an impression of greater high frequency extension. Since one such property as soundstage, brightness et al can affect the perception of other sonic properties, it's not possible for me to evaluate each property separately to be sure what the absolute differences are.

I did most of my listening at what I think of as audiophile volume level, i.e. slightly on the loud side. I then ran the E17's volume up to maximum on several tracks to see if there were any limits, clipping or other distortions I could hear. The maximum volume seemed to be at least 10 db above my listening level and the sound was very clean at that volume, so I don't see any practical limits there, at least with reasonably efficient headphones. The Audioengine D1 gets all of its power from the USB whereas the FiiO E17 apparently gets its power from the internal rechargeable battery, so that may account for the E17 having greater headroom than USB-powered DAC/amps.

Looking at the FiiO E17 from the front, it has an LCD screen for browsing the menu and checking the current settings. It has up/down volume buttons, but those are digitally controlled and don't respond instantly. There are also buttons for power on/off, menu access, input type (USB, analog etc.) and 'hold'. On top are an input jack for optical/SPDIF, the 3.5 mm headphone out jack, and a recessed 'reset' button that will require a straight pin or something equivalent. On the right side is an 'LO bypass' switch that works only when docked with other FiiO products. On the bottom are a USB mini-jack, a FiiO dock connector and a 3.5 mm auxiliary (analog) input jack. One odd thing I noticed is that the E17's screen shows '96K 24bit' at all times when connected to my Windows 7 computer, regardless of the data rate of the track that's playing.

The E17's case is black-anodized aluminum and seems very solid and strong. The brushed-metal finish should be good for not showing scratches as long as the E17 isn't seriously abused. Given the quality of construction and the very nice overall appearance, I'd say they got the E17's design just right. Since the E17 has so many more features than the USB-powered DAC-plus-headphone-amps I mentioned here, and since the sound quality is slightly less, I would like to see a more expensive version of the E17 that has sound quality equal to those USB-powered DAC/amps such as the Audioengine D1 and the HRT Headstreamer. Still, the FiiO E17 is a tremendous bargain at its price point and beyond.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Review note: I configured my computer settings to play 96 khz music tracks ('.WAV' format on the computer, using Foobar2000)

One odd thing I noticed is that the E17's screen shows '96K 24bit' at all times when connected to my Windows 7 computer, regardless of the data rate of the track that's playing.

Nice review Dale! It's interesting to see how you found it compared to the AudioEngine D1 and HRT. I have the HRT here but I have never heard the D1.

I think your issue with the Fiio sticking on 24/96 is not a fault of the Fiio itself but the way you have Foobar/Windows set up. The Windows settings can be ignored if you select the 'WASAPI', 'Kernal Streaming' or 'ASIO' options in the 'Device' dropdown menu (under: Preferences, Playback, Output). All of these plugins will need to be downloaded from the Foobar website. Since you have Win 7 WASAPI is the best for Foobar. 'WASAPI - Event Style' in JRiver (MC17) I found to be even better.

Once you have one of those enabled you will get a bit-perfect audio stream through the USB and the audio sample rates will switch dynamically. Otherwise Windows will force it in to whatever it is set to, which is not ideal. Bit-perfect will also remove Windows bleeps, filters or any other sounds from getting to the DAC as well (videos, browser sounds etc.).

Also there is a DAC section for this forum btw.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Most of the really bad interruptions were caused by Skype. I never intended to get into DAC's BTW, so as long as they have a built-in headphone amp I'm good with it.

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Great review Dale!
A couple of other thoughts on how great it is to use theFiio E 17.
Using an LOD cable you can bypass the headphone jack of an iPod or iPhone thereby using the superior DAC of the Fiio. The other great point is that the E17 has a rechargeable battery (approx 8 hours) that means it is great as a portable DAC and headphone amp as well as how you reviewed it against USB DAC/headphone devices. Have to admit I use it mostly in the mobile/travel mode with the LOD cable from my iPod to the E 17 - great improvement in sound too - now prompts me to look at better headphones.......

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Julian_b said:
Using an LOD cable you can bypass the headphone jack of an iPod or iPhone thereby using the superior DAC of the Fiio.
The LOD is a Line Out which is analogue signal post iDevice DAC. It just bypasses the IDevices headphone circuit and just uses the E17 as a headphone amplifier but not as a DAC/headphone amplifier.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Good points Julian. I have been using the LOD connection for several days now on one battery charge! I'm over 8 hours and the battery shows half full or better. The sound this way is quite good and the dynamic range much better than iphone alone.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
eggontoast is correct - LOD cable means no DAC being used, only the amplifier but it's good that you like it, the amp is not bad. The rated battery life of the E17 is 15 hours which supports Dale's observation. It's a shame it doesn't have anywhere near the 40 hours of the lighter E7 but can't complain much there either since the amp in the E17 is much better.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The E17 does have that USB DAC, but the combination of the DAC and headphone amp is significantly lower in fidelity than the Audioengine D1 or HRT Headstreamer. So the question for me is, does the DAC plus headamp of the E17 running from a computer sound significantly better than the E17 operating from the Aux input? I just wonder how much better it could be when the E17 is not equal to the inexpensive HRT and Audioengine. I haven't tested for that, and I don't like making those tests when the differences are very small, which seems likely here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts