Desktop setup

gacekk

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I am about to get some new space to work with large desk and want to get a set up to listed to music. I was initially thinking of getting Dali Zensor 1 ax, and use my Asus laptop as a source (I only use Spotify), and maybe get a DAC.

However, I started thinking if given there should be a lot of space on the desk, I might be better off getting a proper two channel amplifire like Marantz PM6005 and a set of Dali Zensor 1 which will give more ooptions for future and should sound better then the Zensor 1 ax.

I am now stariting to think what would be better as a source. Would it be better to use Chromecast Audio, (I have one spare since my father upgraded to proper streamer) or plug directly to my laptop.

Would appreciate any feedback.

abacus

I would use you laptop with a USB audio interface (Berringer do some entry level and Focusrite are top value for money) and combine with a set of active speakers (There are plenty of pro models out there and they can also be adjusted to suit the position you choose rather than having to change the position to get the sound you want) which are available at various price points. (Also get some isolation pads/stands to get the best out of any speaker)

Bill

insider9

Are you going to listen intently or is it just background? Considering it is desk setup I'd hazard a guess it is the latter. In which case I'd go for wireless streaming speakers or simply small actives.

If you want to do some more serious listening behind the desk then why not consider headphones?

gacekk

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
My main question is what will work better as a sound source. Standalone amplifier with DAC and laptop. Chromecast Audio on Amp or amplifier with built in streaming?

insider9

It all depends on how intently you listen and how good your ears are. Many rate Marantz you mention, I don't. Zensor 1 is the only Dali speaker I didn't like either. You'd be best with a pair of active speakers connected to a laptop with a DAC. Something like Adam T5V would be my choice and a DAC of your choice.

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Yep, some smallish studio monitors are the thing to have here.
I like the JBL 104 monitors. Don't be put off by the price - they punch way above their weight.

If you want to spend more, Neumann do some lovely little monitors.

Chris

jjbomber

If you are only listening to Spotify, then it isn't going to matter which system you choose. The Marantz PM6005 has been replaced by the PM6006. Have you got a cheap second hand one lined up? If not I'll have a spare one next month. On the active front, Ruark MR1s would be my choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts