Denon2310/Yamaha1065/Marantz6004 - still confused

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I've been following the debate on the relative merits of the above amps with inerest and was looking at my Awards issue of WHF to see if I could find the inspiration somewhere to take the plunge on one of them.

The Marantz has a 4 star review on page 18 but it looks like the same amp also appears as "One to consider" on page 28 with five stars- the review of the Yamaha 1065. Have I read this correctly? If so which is the official WHF rating for the 6004?

Also, in the run up to the awards announcement, several people on the forum asked whether the free availabilty of the Yamaha for £510 had been factored in when comparing it to the Denon 2310. There were long discussions - somebody even talked about the Yammy being a six star product on that basis!

At the time, Claire understandably responded along the lines of .... wait and see but I'm not sure if the question really got answered. I know its all a matter of opinion, other kit in the set up etc. but would be interested in any views nontheless especially as the Denon got the award. The way the thread was going I'd have bet on the Yammy getting it but then again I always lose when I have a bet.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Apologies for the p28 typo - as the review of the Marantz (p18) clearly states, it's a four-star receiver, with the verdict "Good, but not great - the Marantz SR6004 can't quite go the final mile".

And yes, pricing was taken into consideration, which is one reason the Yamaha is a five-star product. Most of the WHF team would have still picked the Denon, though - just that touch better all-round than the Yamaha.

But as I said on the earlier thread, auditioning all three products is a good shout - each has its own characteristics, which you may prefer.

A

Anonymous

Would have loved it if the "UK tuned Denon 2310" was also available here in Belgium!

The European sites who tested the Denon against the Yamaha picked the Yamaha as winner.

A

Anonymous

Hi Wovian,

I really recommend you listen to these amps to form an opinion. Im in the same boat and i was sure i was going to get the denon but after listening to the marantz and comparing the two, to my ears, the marantz sounds more warmer and musical than the denon. I listened to both of these via monitor audio RX6's at the front. Didnt get a chance to do a multichannel test.

Try them out. I really liked the marantz,

A

Anonymous

Well I'm glad the star thing has been cleared up as I noticed that too in the magazine. I'm still looking into all three but will have to go and have a demo. At present without the demo I'm leaning towards the 2310 but what about the new Yamaha RX-V2065. Anyone know what this one is like? Do what Hi-Fi know when they will be reviewing it?

A

Anonymous

Clair the editor has commented on many things about these amps but not on the comparison to which is better of these!! as the magazine has gone for the Denon as the £500 -£1000 amp winner for the 2009 awards but didnt rewiew the Yamaha 1065 until the same issue, and in comparison didnt mention the yamaha as a comparison, so what are our friends at What HiFi 's real thoughts about the comparrison between the 2 amps?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I would have thought it was obvious that by giving the Denon the Award win, we've made it clear it's our favourite in this price class!

Every one of our reviews is comparative - from First Test right the way through to Awards judging; if a product isn't a performance-per-pound class leader against everything we have to compare it to, it isn't a winner!

But as i've said in this thread and many before it, it was a close thing between the Denon and Yamaha - definitely a majority rather than unanimous decision among the team, as is reflected in the five-star rating for both.

I've also continually stressed the need to hear the Marantz, too - especially if you're leaning towards a musical AV amp.

Audition away, people...!

waine7:Well I'm glad the star thing has been cleared up as I noticed that too in the magazine. I'm still looking into all three but will have to go and have a demo. At present without the demo I'm leaning towards the 2310 but what about the new Yamaha RX-V2065. Anyone know what this one is like? Do what Hi-Fi know when they will be reviewing it?

Hi waine7

The Yamaha RX-V2065 AV receiver is the new RX-V1900!
emotion-2.gif
emotion-5.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

lazarus:The European sites who tested the Denon against the Yamaha picked the Yamaha as winner.

What sites are you referring to?

A

Anonymous

Wovian:

The Marantz has a 4 star review on page 18 but it looks like the same amp also appears as "One to consider" on page 28 with five stars- the review of the Yamaha 1065. Have I read this correctly? If so which is the official WHF rating for the 6004?

I am always a bit weary of the star ratings, and would only use them as a rough guideline to give you and idea for further research ...

then search google and read independant reviews and comments from people who actually own the items ... then make up your own mind (one such instance was the ratings of the Gotham cables)

emotion-43.gif

waine7:Well I'm glad the star thing has been cleared up as I noticed that too in the magazine. I'm still looking into all three but will have to go and have a demo. At present without the demo I'm leaning towards the 2310 but what about the new Yamaha RX-V2065. Anyone know what this one is like? Do what Hi-Fi know when they will be reviewing it?

Yamaha RX-V2065 is a replacement for the RX-V1900 & so is a step above the Denon 2310, more in the league of 3310.

A

Anonymous

Denons neue Mittelklasse besetzt der AVR 2310 mit zahlreichen ­Neuerungen in Endstufen, Netzteil und Videotechnik. stereoplay testete, ob er seinen Vorg„nger bertrumpfen kann.

Gutes besser zu machen ist nicht einfach, wenn das Original einen hohen Reifegrad besitzt. Die Denon-Ingenieure muss­ten sich im Falle des Receivers AVR 2309 (Test 1/09) fr den Nachfolger AVR 2310 schon m„chtig was einfallen ­lassen. So berarbeiteten sie die Ergonomie genauso wie die Technik, ohne dabei typische Denon-Tugenden zu verletzen.

http://community.whathifi.com/Testbericht/31552986_1e4356d1b3.jpg
Das neugestaltete Denon-Men erscheint jetzt bei jeder Videoaufl”sung und blendet sich angenehm sanft ein und wieder aus. Das Men verwendet Englisch; Deutsch gibt es nicht. Logische Ordnung und Grafiken erlauben eine bersichtliche Bedienung. Default: Leider bieten nur wenige Ger„te wie hier der AVR 2310 die M”glichkeit, verstellte Werte auf den Standard zurckzusetzen.Die Handhabung erleichtert die verbesserte Fernbedienung mit neuer Tastenanordnung, und auf der Front hilft ein Cursorkreuz, komplexe Einstellungen selbst ohne Fernbedienung zu erledigen. Das neue, angenehm weich ein- und ausgeblendete Men bleibt stets bersichtlich und erscheint nun in jeder Video­aufl”sung. Das erm”glicht die komplett neue Videoverarbeitung des AVR 2310, dessen Kern ein ABT-2010-Chip von Anchor Bay Technologies darstellt, der den noch immer guten, aber technisch mittlerweile rckst„ndigen DCDi-Chipsatz von Faroudja abl”st. Der neue Video­baustein bietet 10- statt bislang 8-Bit-Processing, unter anderem die M”glichkeit NTSC-DVDs im ruckelfreien 1080p/24-Modus abzuspielen und eine effiziente, artefaktarme, weil adaptive Detail-Nachsch„rfung.

Die meiste Arbeit steckten die Entwickler in das verfeinerte Platinenlayout und die neu entwickelten Endstufen mit diskreten Treiber- und Leistungstransistoren sowie das daran angepasste Netzteil. Bew„hrte Features wie der vergleichsweise feine Phonoeingang, die Tunersektion und die Audyssey-Einmessautomatik mit Raumkorrektur blieben unangetastet. Hinzu kommt die M”glichkeit, per Dolby Pro Logic IIz zus„tzliche, nach oben versetzte Frontkan„le anzusprechen.

Im H”rraum musste sich der Neuling dem bisherigen AVR 2309 und dem Landsmann ­Yamaha RX V 863 (Heft 01/09) stellen. Als erstes fiel auf, dass der AVR 2310 mit der seit Jahren unver„nderten Denon-Klangphilosophie bricht, wenn auch nur vorsichtig. Das aktuelle ­Modell spielte im Vergleich zum Vorg„nger impulsiver mit mehr Attacke und zeichnete vor allem im Bass sch„rfere Konturen. Im Hochtonbereich klangen Becken etwas glanzloser und rauer, aber differenzierter, feink”rniger.

Was der Vorg„nger mit seinem kompakteren Klangbild besser machte, waren musikalischer Fluss und r„umliche Darstellung; der Neuling bildete vergleichsweise eng und flach, aber scharf konturiert ab, gerade bei zweikanaliger Zuspielung.

http://community.whathifi.com/Testbericht/31552987_beae947227.jpg
So hatte dann bei analoger CD-Lieferung auch der Yamaha mit seiner spritzig-zackigen ­Charakteristik die Nase vorne, gefolgt vom AVR 2309 mit seiner kompakten, aber feinen musikalischen Spielweise. Der Neue kam leider nicht ganz mit, klang gegenber digitaler Zuspielung einen Tick dnner und lebloser und verliert damit ein Pnktchen auf seinen Vorg„nger.

In digitaler Surround-Zuspielung lagen die Drei gleichauf, wenngleich sie mit unterschiedlichen Charakterst„rken um den Sieg buhlten. Mit HD-Tonlieferung von Blu-ray konnten sich der AVR 2310 und der Yamaha mit differenzierterer Spielweise vom Denon-Auslaufmodell absetzen, und so gewinnt der Neue in dieser Disziplin den Punkt, den er bei der CD verlor.

Denons AVR 2310 wird mit Sicherheit seine Fans finden, denn in Sachen Videotechnik und Bedienung setzt er sich klar vom Vorg„nger ab. Seine impulsivere und konturreichere Spielweise drfte vor allem Film­genieáer begeistern.

Raphael Vogt 24.09.2009

lazarus:

Denons neue Mittelklasse besetzt der AVR 2310 mit zahlreichen ­Neuerungen in Endstufen, Netzteil und Videotechnik. stereoplay testete, ob er seinen Vorg„nger bertrumpfen kann.

Gutes besser zu machen ist nicht einfach, wenn das Original einen hohen Reifegrad besitzt. Die Denon-Ingenieure muss­ten sich im Falle des Receivers AVR 2309 (Test 1/09) fr den Nachfolger AVR 2310 schon m„chtig was einfallen ­lassen. So berarbeiteten sie die Ergonomie genauso wie die Technik, ohne dabei typische Denon-Tugenden zu verletzen.

emotion-2.gif
emotion-4.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

The review is from stereoplay.de. Run it through translate.google for translation. The link to the review is (where the images can be seen as well):

Review @ stereoplay.de

But I fail to see a reference to the Yamaha 1065. It mentions the Yamaha RXV863, not sure if they are related?

A

Anonymous

The 1065 is the 863 folow up,and a better performer according to WH.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all of the replies folks - not sure about the German one though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts