Denon S301 and Onkyo LS-V501 Connection Dilemmas - which one to buy?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In my continuing quest to buy a 2.1 system I have narrowed it down to these two (probably) but I am left with somewhat of dilemma.

My kit currently comprises a DVD player connected to my TV via component and a VOD service connected via SCART. I then take the sound from my TV via 2*phono and play it through my amp and have lipsync issues, hence I need a new amp.

So, if I get the S301 I can connect it to my TV via component or HDMI. Now, it will allow lipsync on the digital input and from the internal DVD player. I can connect my TV via a digital out, so there should be no problem. VOD service connects to TV, audio loops into amp and I delay the signal. Fine. However the S301 can upscale video inputs put through it. So I could run my VOD service through the amp (via S-Video) and it would upscale. However the audio connected through this input cannot be delayed, and I am assuming I will see the same lipsync issues that I have already? What I'm wondering is whether I can select different audio and video channels, in other words can I upscale the video but then select the audio channel from my TV?

If I get the LS-V501 it can allegedly delay audio on any input. However it doesn't have an S-Video input so I can't connect the VOD straight through the amp anyway and will still be VOD-->TV--(digital out)-->Amp. In fact the only input connection it has of any use is HDMI (it has two composite inputs ONLY - am I the only one who thinks that is weird). However it does have that HDMI loopthrough. I can see that being useful if I get an HD player in the future, but does this make up for the lack on inputs generally and the lack of upscaling on these?

So the S301 seems to offer more flexibility generallly but doesn't have an HDMI input and given the lipsync issues I have means anything connected through analogue inputs will not been in sync UNLESS I can select a separate audio input to the video input. The LS-V501 however has the HDMI input but nothing else. In future all I can see me doing is getting rid of the VOD service and using the TVs internal Freeview. I would guess anything new I buy will have an HDMI output, which makes connection with LS-V501 easy, but a bit more messy with the S301 (HDMI-->TV, then either audio TV-->Amp or Digital Coax--> Amp).

Not quite sure what I am asking any more...........I guess I am just confused and the more I think about it the more my head hurts.

A

Anonymous

We meet again Chris...
and this time after loosing my way through your post all I can say is:
had the same dillema, bought the Onkyo cause it was better with connectivity, and now am very happy with it. Plus it looks better and as I read here earlier is easily upgrade'able...
Go for Onkyo.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Dio - not surprised you got lost. *I* can barely understand what I am trying to convey. The Onkyo does have that HDMI but pretty much nothing else in terms of input flexibility but am I really going to NEED anything else? If anything I am likely to ditch the VOD and use the TVs internal Freeview Only thing I am likely to get would be an HD drive and as long as it has a digital coax connection I can get everything singing happily together. I suppose I *might* get SkyHD at some point, not sure what connections that needs, but if I understand correctly that has its own audio delay function? I guess the draw for the S301 is that Faroudja scaling processor. If I knew whether that can select its audio and video streams independently that might help me decide.

A

Anonymous

Chris, the Onkyo has:

Video 1: HDMI in, Composite Video in
Video 2: Composite Video in

Audio ins: Video1 (analog), Video2 (analog), optical in, coaxial in

so it's not quite as you wrote...

A

Anonymous

True, but really - composite in???? What is the point in that???? Component in maybe, but they could have not bothered and just left it as analogue audio in (1+2) rather than adding electronics for two composite connections that are NEVER going to be used. I will give £50 to anyone who has EVER used the composite connection on this amp (not really, but you get my meaning).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts