Denon rcd-m39 with Wharfedale Diamond 121

magnus78

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

bought the Denon D-M39 recently and thought of upgrade the speakers(eyeing at Wharfedale Diamond 121).

The Denon is rated with a power output of 30 W+30 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz). Can i match it with Wharfedale Diamond 121 with the following spec?

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms Compatible

Minimum Impedance: 4.1 Ohms

Recommended Amplifier Power: 25-100W

Anybody got the same setup and care to share how it sounds like?

Thanks.

Fred24

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Magnus

I used to have the DM38 set up with the BX2. The bx 2 have the same specs as you W121. Given the DM39 have been improved I will suggest the will drive your W121 smoothly ; as the Dm38 used to handle my Bx2 at ease. Volume set a 20 used to filled my 4X3 room with decent weight, the bass was quite punchy but need to be aleast volume set at 15 and up ward to be convincing hence a dedicated amp will probably give it a more deeper bass. the CD player and USB port provide a quite detail sound although not comparable to the likes of Marantz DC6004 which has a more realistic reproduction. I felt the bass, mid, treble is balanced but however not as sharp as seperate Hifi. To conclude, the Dm38 have ample power to drive 100w 8ohms speaker at ease without over heating even the volume was set at 25 for 2 hours of listening.

Hope this help you.

Fred24

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Magnus

I used to have the DM38 set up with the BX2. The bx 2 have the same specs as you W121. Given the DM39 have been improved I will suggest the will drive your W121 smoothly ; as the Dm38 used to handle my Bx2 at ease. Volume set a 20 used to filled my 4X3 room with decent weight, the bass was quite punchy but need to be aleast volume set at 15 and up ward to be convincing hence a dedicated amp will probably give it a more deeper bass. the CD player and USB port provide a quite detail sound although not comparable to the likes of Marantz DC6004 which has a more realistic reproduction. I felt the bass, mid, treble is balanced but however not as sharp as seperate Hifi. To conclude, the Dm38 have ample power to drive 100w 8ohms speaker at ease without over heating even the volume was set at 25 for 2 hours of listening.

Hope this help you.

Fred24

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
your are most welcome Magnus.

Its worth noting the reason i bought the bx 2 was purely because i was not satisfied with my prevous wharfedle diamond 9.1. after 2 months. I was wrong though.. :oops: because the guy i sold it to have a dm38 also. after 6 months i visit him and surprised :? with matured sound with so much weight for their size. ( i still regret it..) So the lesson learnt is: it seems my wharfedale 9.1 tend to take sometimes to "run-in" . Hence I dont want someone to fall in the same trap as I did.

magnus78

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Once bought i got to use it at least for the next 1 year or so. Can't change too often If not wife will nag at me. Anyway based on the WHF review i believe sound quality should be good.

magnus78

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Will audit the speakers and see the finishing next tuesday. WHF did mentioned that later production will have better finishing. Can WHF confirm this?

Cypher said:
The finish of the Wharfedale Diamond 121 seems bad...................isn't that a problem for you ?

Fred24

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Magnus,

The reason for my previous post was mainly to stop anyone from getting worried early on and changes speaker as I did with my Wharfedale 9.1.. which i so regret and it was totally unnecessary. Thus, given that you are planning to buy the W121, i hope you dont fall in the same traps as i did. i did not allow my w9.1 enough time to 'Run-in'. so it seems Wharfedale speakers tend to take sometime to run in..but the wait is very rewarding as my friend who bought the W9.1 is now enjoying the better sound after 4 months of using it. :) so dont be put off..

best of luck..actully the w121 seems to be very promising given from the review wHF made..

magnus78

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Bought the Wharfedale Diamond 121 in Bangkok during the trip. Its not available in my country yet. Had a few hours of listening last night. Compared to the Denon's stock speaker, Diamond 121 sound more open, detailed, more scale and deeper bass. It should sound better after some run in.

Like the review, finishing is the concern. spotted some excess glue on edges.Overall i'm happy with the purchase.

http://postimage.org/image/ntbrqeb05/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts