Denon DVD3930 DVD Player or marantz dv7001?

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
If you were after a universal player which would you go for? I Have pani px70, kef eggs, denon avr2803 receiver, and for my hifi i have castle floor standers speakers (130 w)

All views would be appreciated

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Marantz - Group Tested against the Denon in our August issue: the Marantz is strong sonically as well as offering excellent visuals - that's why it's our DVD player Product of the Year.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to jump in, have finally ordered Pioneer 428, looking at the Marantz 7001, but also going to upgrade games console soon. Am I right in saying the Marantz would knock spots off the PS3 for DVD playback (not including HD playback, obviously), I know the PS3 is rated highly as a high-def player, but more interested in up-scale quality for my existing DVD collection. Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

The Marantz will definitely outperform the PS3 with DVDs - it's why it won our DVD player of the year, and was the next-step-up from the PS3 is our Awards line-up.

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Thats great. I was swaying towards the marantz but i thought as i had a denon av i thought perhaps the denon player maybe a better match.

Thanks again for the advice
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I know the Denon uses the Silicon Optic Realta chip, What video processor is in the Marantz 7001?

A

Anonymous

The marantz was pitted against the 2930 not the 3930! found little to choose between the denon 2930 and the 7001 it was a tough choice the marantz edged it with cd playback but it thought the denon had the better picture! but a choice between the 3930 and the 7001 i would guess the denon would be better.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Raver"]
Sorry to jump in, have finally ordered Pioneer 428, looking at the Marantz 7001, but also going to upgrade games console soon. Am I right in saying the Marantz would knock spots off the PS3 for DVD playback (not including HD playback, obviously), I know the PS3 is rated highly as a high-def player, but more interested in up-scale quality for my existing DVD collection. Thanks
[/quote]
I most disagree with people who say ps3's dvd playback is good,it's only good for a 32inc tv any bigger 40-46? very poor.
If you most, buy a Samsung which was reviewed in what hi-fi £70,Tosh hd ep35 £270 7 free hddvd's from Amazon UK,the dvd playback is more or less the same as the Denon 1940 according to what hi-fi team or Tosh's hdxe1 £450 same offer at Amazon UK and again dvd playback as good as the Deon 2930 £500,Maranzt 7001 and if you want the best for dvd then Denon 3930.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="burhan"][quote user="Raver"]

[/quote]
I most disagree with people who say ps3's dvd playback is good,it's only good for a 32inc tv any bigger 40-46? very poor.
If you most, buy a Samsung which was reviewed in what hi-fi £70,Tosh hd ep35 £270 7 free hddvd's from Amazon UK,the dvd playback is more or less the same as the Denon 1940 according to what hi-fi team or Tosh's hdxe1 £450 same offer at Amazon UK and again dvd playback as good as the Deon 2930 £500,Maranzt 7001 and if you want the best for dvd then Denon 3930.[/quote]

What is it about the PS3 DVD playback you dont like?

A

Anonymous

Please check some of my post,as i have already written on the topic.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="burhan"]Please check some of my post,as i have already written on the topic.[/quote]

Im not sure how to actually view all of your old posts, only your most recent, is there a way?

If not, would you mind briefly summerizing what you think of the PS3 DVD playback here?

A

Anonymous

burhan

I did find my way round some of your posts and i read that you don't like the PS3 as a DVD player. I have both a PS3 and a denon 1940 and in my opinion, I think the picture quality between the two is pretty much the same, and I think the Denon is a good DVD player.

Which do you prefer for SD-DVD burhan? The 1940 or PS3?

Cheers ;)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="britlifter"]
burhan

I did find my way round some of your posts and i read that you don't like the PS3 as a DVD player. I have both a PS3 and a denon 1940 and in my opinion, I think the picture quality between the two is pretty much the same, and I think the Denon is a good DVD player.

Which do you prefer for SD-DVD burhan? The 1940 or PS3?

Cheers ;)

[/quote]
What T.V are you using and how big is it?
I don't have a Denon 1940,but i use my Panasonic DMR-EX75 recorder for dvd playback.
I know that very recently their was a re- post by Clare(WHF editor )said she reckons the dvd playback on the Ps3 is slightly better then the Denon 1940.
It's an opinion i don't disagree with.
Anyway i have so far tested Rome season 2,Terminator 2,Rush hour 3.
Every time i prefer the Panasonic ex-75- Sharper picture,better black levels,smother motion,overall it just looks more cinematic,but i think i,m going to do another test,so i am in no doubt after reading Clare's post.

A

Anonymous

Thanks burhan for your input. I just have 32 inch Toshiba CRT with componant input but I have compared the Denon 1940 and PS3 on a 37 inch LCD TV 1080p and IMO the picture is very similar although the Denon does have a certain "classyness" about its picture which I'd say i prefer.

Do you have the latest firmware for the PS3? And how do you rate it as a blu-ray player?

Thx

A

Anonymous

[quote user="britlifter"]
Thanks burhan for your input. I just have 32 inch Toshiba CRT with componant input but I have compared the Denon 1940 and PS3 on a 37 inch LCD TV 1080p and IMO the picture is very similar although the Denon does have a certain "classyness" about its picture which I'd say i prefer.

Do you have the latest firmware for the PS3? And how do you rate it as a blu-ray player?

Thx

[/quote]
Yes i do have the latest firmware updates and i reckon the ps3 is the only blu-ray player worth getting at the moment its the best available at the moment,really i don,t think its worth spending more.
Even though many people think that blu-ray has won against their rival hddvd(including me),but one question remains can they win the hearts and minds of customers,i mean if we really want to switch from dvd to blu-ray and what hddvd camp has under their sleeves,but i don,t see how they could win anymore.
ps;Be aware though the ps3 can't decode dts true hd, i have provided proof below:http://formatwarcentral.com/index.php/2007/05/08/does-the-ps3-really-have-hdmi-13/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts