denon dvd vs ps3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering how the ps3 is for playing SD dvds upscaling them i currently have a Denon 3910 and as im thinking of getting a ps3 wondered if ill part with my Denon or not!? Thanks

A

Anonymous

I love the PS3s ability to play upscaled DVD which was a bonus as I got it for BD. Not sure what your situation is though. If you like games and plan to play a lot of Blu Ray (at least in the future) then maybe. If you don't want to spend 12 quid a throw on BD and will stick to DVD then not much point in forking out the cash on a rarely used upgrade.

Depends a lot on your system ( TV etc.) though. No point in improving the source if the panel won't reflect it. More info needed.

A

Anonymous

Well ive got an HD philips lcd i play games every so often but not a heavy gamer i was just wondering whether there will be much difference between the upscaled picture on my 3910 and the ps3 if the ps3 produces a good picture upscaled? I think it will be my 360 out ps3 in and compare that to the 3910 for a while.

A

Anonymous

Hi Flairdj,

Thought i'd give some of my experience with the upscaling of the PS3. Simply put, its excellent. I used to have a Denon DVD-2910 and when i compared it to my Sony DVD recorder (RDR-HX970), the Denon was much better. I bought the PS3 and it bettered the Denon although the Denon could not upscale to 1080p (only 720p and 1080i).

My local dealer was very kind to lend me the Denon DVD-3910 as well as the Marantz DVD-7001 (both upscale to 1080p). I compared both to the PS3 and neither were as good! Edge defintion, colours and motion were all much better on the PS3. I was astounded by this and so got other family members and friends to check it out and every time, on every comparison the PS3 was picked as the best! I had plenty of time to do the comparsions (about 2 weeks), with lots of DVD's.

A few points though. All DVD players were tested via 'pass through HDMI' to my Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver, then through a 20 metre Chord HDMI Silver Plus cable to the Panasonic PT-AE2000 projector. I didn't test it on a TV. The Bluray function on the PS3 is very accomplished, but not the best i've seen (that goes to Pioneer!). New PS3's will be released soon in 80Gb and 160Gb sizes. Lastly, if you are only looking for a better upscaling DVD player, i'd hold out fot Toshiba's forthcoming XDE DVD players ($150, Stateside), which apparently, upscale incredibly well...ironically, they are said to be using half the PS3's Cell processing power in order to upscale the images!

Hope that helps,

Raihan

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Not quite sure the PS3 is that good a DVD upscaler, Raihan
emotion-2.gif

Newer Blu-ray players - including the budget Sony and Panasonic models - do it better.

We've got a budget Blu-ray test on the way (18th September), pitting the PS3 against all its @£300 rivals, for both DVD and Blu-ray playback (even CDs, too!)

Anyhow, on the subject of the Toshiba XDE DVD players, we've gor the first in to test right now - review will appear very shortly.

A

Anonymous

hi there, iv got the ps3 and marantz dv7001, and for me the marantz is the beter upscaler, but its closer than i expected . so im sure the ps3 would be beter than the 3910.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare!

Would be interesting to hear about how the new Blu Ray players fair as well as Toshiba's XDE one.

With regards to the capability of PS3 upscaling, i was suggesting that in my specific set-up it performed the best in comparison to the likes of Marantz and Denon DVD players. Obviously, this may vary depending on other products in the chain...

I haven't seen the new standalone BluRay decks playing upscaled DVD's apart from Pioneer's £1000 effort which i had a loan of. That was incredibly impressive with Blu-ray, especially with contrast, colour and shadow detail, but i would say a good average in DVD upscaling to 1080p. I really like the Pioneer players and hope that they produce some good decks at lower prices!

Regards,

Raihan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts