Denon dvd players

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

GARETHWD: Id give the ps3 serious consideration as a dvd player i have a denon 2930 and i bought a ps3 around three weeks ago and after a few trial runs im fairly covinced it has a better picture than the denon! for music its not as good but you cant have it all i spose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that is interesting-The PS3 having a better picture than even a Denon 2930? . PS3 £350 and the Denon 2930 which I've seen for £478. I am waiting for the next Thursday's issue of WHFS&V's magazine after which I will then decide between these 3 :

1) Cambridge Azur 540 DVD V2 £250.00 from Richer Sounds

2) Denon 1940 £180.00 (reduced from £250) from Richer Sounds

3) PS3 60GB £350 (Problem here is can't connect to my Integrated XX Exposure Amp via L & R Phono's)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I can only comment on the 1940. I recently bought Departed on dvd and it was screened on Sky HD's "anytime tv" the other night. I set up the dvd and the film on Sky simultaneously. The result - a tie! I could not see any difference. Now Sky HD is 1080i and not p but anyone who has seen the quality can only be impressed. For a dvd player to upscale as good as that with a standard dvd is impressive in my book.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails : Were you uspcaling on the Denon to 1080i -the same as SKY?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tallyho"]
3) PS3 60GB £350 (Problem here is can't connect to my Integrated XX Exposure Amp via L & R Phono's)

[/quote]

The AV multiconnector on the back of the PS3 - not the HDMI - has stereo analogue output capability, and woul connect to the Exposure with a suitable cable.

A

Anonymous

You good fella you: Thanks Andrew.

Andrew are you able to comment on the PS3's upscaling ability of standard DVD's?.......as good as, for example a Denon 1940.

Must confess though I'm really waiting for Thursday's issue of the Magazine to see how the new Cambridge V2 Azur DVD player fairs. Mind you, you can pick up the Denon 1940 now for £180 but can't seem to find out how that fairs with sound quality.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tallyho"]

Andrew are you able to comment on the PS3's upscaling ability of standard DVD's?.......as good as, for example a Denon 1940.

[/quote]

Have already done so, several times. I think it's better.

A

Anonymous

Ruddy Marvellous isn't it?

There's a handful of supposedly great DVD Players under £300 out there including the Denon 1940 and then we get the PS3 at £350-essentially a games console that can produce better standard DVD Upscaling , has a well reviewed and acknowleged Blu Ray player and is also a top notch games machine.

Why the ruddy hell then are we all sold up the river and brainwashed into going for Pioneer's DV600AV, Denon's 1930, 1940 and 1740 players and the like. Surely in the face of such stark competition from the inimitable PS3 these others should all go back to drawing board? Looks lilke we're all being sold down the river on this as a result of which many are parting with their £££ far too easily and being sucked in by all the hype surrounding these other, so-called, wonderful DVD players.

Mind you, no one has said what the CD sound is like from the PS3......Don't tell me......that's ruddy well marvellous too?

Right then just waiting for this Thursday's review on the Cambridge DVD Azur V2 Player.@£250.00 ........'with unsurpassed scaling at both 720p and 1080i' ??? Well.....let's see if can surpass the PS3 ......but then again reckon it's CD sound is allegedly a hundred times better???

Oh....and when is the PS4 coming out? I hear it even grinds coffee beans!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've answered this on another post, but here goes again....

1) We've repeatedly said CD playback on the PS3 is poor, even by DVD player standards

2) You'd expect a £425 player (which until recently the PS3 was) to outperform a £250 player (the Denon, for example - now available at £180).

If you can't afford £350, players like the Denon, Cambridge etc are excellent for the money, and certainly more than good enough for many TVs/systems. And all play CDs better than the PS3 - which if you're after a music and movie all-rounder, is a key point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts