Denon DM39. You there Sizzers?

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
This for Sizzers I suppose. Noticed you got the DM39 in your sig now. As someone who previously had the 37, have the volume control steps been modified in this latest model?

Rich

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi, and the answer is no.

I only picked it up on Friday and haven’t had the chance to do any proper extended listening with it as yet, but there is a point (between 14/15 or 15/16 on the volume control, can’t recall which at the mo) where there is that largish volume jump. As I described elsewhere on my experience with the 37, one step was too low for enjoyable late night listening and the next was the tipping point for annoying the neighbours.

I had listened to it before I bought it and so I was aware of the volume jump, but it’s now situated in a different room so it isn’t the problem it once was with the neighbours and personally it isn’t much of an issue for me any longer. Remember, this is my personal experience: I now have no problem with the higher stepped volume, others might purely down to their own individual listening preferences.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Sizzers, I was just asking out of interest really, having had the 37 and 38 previously. Sounds like you are able to crank it up a bit more now it's in a differant room. Steps 10/11 or 11/12 seemed to make the biggest difference before.

Rich

A

Anonymous

Hello Sizzers,

Do the Denon RCD M-39 and the Rega RS1's get along well?

Thanks for your reply.

Kind regards,

Martijn

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Martijn.

They get along with the Denon as well as anything else I’ve paired them with (Marantz, Pioneer, Rega, Arcam).

I’ve haven’t heard the Denon with any other speaker combos as unfortunately the Rega’s are now the only speakers I have left, and as I've also only bought the Denon as a bit of stop-gap I didn’t see much point in going out to listen to any. Have you heard them yourself?

A

Anonymous

He Sizzers,

Thanks for the reply.

I am thinking about buying the same setup as you are listening to in your stop gap.

Have heard the Rega's with a strong amplifier, which I haven't have the budget for at this moment.

But if you say it works fine, I'll go for it!

Thanks!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well if you can stretch your budget, I would seriously consider the Marantz M-CR603 instead.

I used to have one myself but financial necessities forced it’s sale. I’ve now finished with seperates and with Christmas coming up I really couldn’t stretch to the Marantz, hence the Denon as a stop-gap until I can

A

Anonymous

That option crossed my mind as well...

But the big difference between the 603 and the M39 is the output and the streaming function I guess.

If the Rega's will also perform well on the Denon with the 2x30 output, it will be fine fore me for the time being.

Or do the Rega's perform much better on the Marantz? In that case I will check the 503, without the streaming option.

regards,

Martijn

A

Anonymous

Hello Chebby,

It is easy to find one in the Netherlands.

I see you are using Rega's on the Marantz. Are you happy with the combination?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
martijn said:
Or do the Rega's perform much better on the Marantz?

The Denon is very good indeed for what it is and I personally love it (as I also did the DM37 which I have previously owned), but there is a significant jump in SQ with the Marantz.

I have no interest in streaming, networking, i-phones/pads or whatever. Virtually all my music is CD based (apart from occasional MP3 via flash drive) but there is a noticeable difference in dynamics with the Marantz, and for the want of a better word it seems more “alive” to my ears. Not that I think you would be disappointed with the Denon, but the Marantz is well worth the extra IMO whether paired with the Rega’s or any other speaker.

The Marantz can drive some seriously good speakers should you wish to upgrade those at some point in the future. Mr E wrote a very good piece on the Marantz for Gramophone, and is favoured pairing was with the PMC GB1’s (they were £1,500 at the time by the way), so I think that should give you some future proofing!

Anyway, try and see if you can audition one somewhere and decide for yourself.

Good luck!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
First, apologies to the OP for a side question.

@ Sizzers: What qualities do Rega speakers bring to the proceedings? Didn't you used to have MAs with your old Marantz system or am I dreaming? :)

Hi PP,

You’re dreaming! - I’ve never owned MA’s and can’t recall having heard any, either.

Due to my “fire sale” I only have the Rega’s left, the other two pairs I kept swapping around were Focal 706V’s and Dali Lektor 1’s. I also – briefly – had a pair of Mission 760SE’s which I very stupidly gave away to a mate for doing a job for me; they cost me £35 and were immaculate apart from a very slight coffee cup stain on the top of one of the speakers. That is almost as big a regret as when I had to sell my 603, but as with most things you don’t miss them until they’re gone.

As I think I’ve said on a number of occasions, the Rega’s are very clear and detailed speakers with great timing, and although the bass is rather flat it follows every line of the beat (other components depending, of course). I’ve rather fell out of love a bit with the Rega’s lately, though. They can be a bit too revealing and bright to my ears on occasions with some amps I’ve played them through (the Arcam Alpha 8R could even make them sound harsh), but they do sound rather good with the Denon.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
You’re welcome, but naturally only my opinion of course (and so there are no misunderstandings, it’s the 603 I’m referring too! lol)

I have no problem in expressing an “opinion”, but I am extremely uncomfortable offering “advice” for something as subjective as hi-fi. Admittedly it was me who threw the 603 in the mix but here in the UK it’s currently available at just £130 more than the Denon, so on that basis if it’s affordable (which it wasn’t for me at the time) it’s well worth the extra.

The price difference may well be different in Holland which I can’t factor in (only you can decide that), but just to reiterate I’m very happy with the Denon but it's just that the Marantz is better.

I hope you can get a listen to decide for yourself, and please let us know how you get on. :cheers:

A

Anonymous

:cheers: Cheers! Have purchased the 603 and the RS1's...

Don't be uncomfertable; I bought it after I compared the M39 and the 603 in the shop... You should get a fee from Marantz, though :)

Do you also have an opion (advise) about speaker wires?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
martijn said:
Do you also have an opion (advise) about speaker wires?

Anything cheap from Maplin (except bell wire!)

I'm glad you're happy, and I'm hoping I'll have another one back before too long! :cheers:

A

Anonymous

Ok, will not invest a fortune. 2x2.5mm copper will be fine, I guess.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts