Denon DM37 + EPOS ELS303 speakers (wattage + ohm impedance incompatibility?)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Just took my 1st step into hi fi (well entry level at least), and it appears I've made a potentially big mistake. I bought a Denon DM37 integrated amp + Epos ELS 303 speakers (bi-wired). There are 2 possible problems:

1. Ohm impedance - the manual for the Epos speakers state it has 4ohm impedance, and the Denon requires speakers with 6-16 ohm impedance. Is this a problem?

2. Wattage. The Denon outputs 25W per channel, and the speakers require 50W - 100W output. Is this a problem - and would it damage the speakers in the long term?

The setup sounds fine for now, but I think it may have sounded better with the SC37 speakers bundled with the Denon. Any advice much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

1- Could be a problem with heavy bass music, at high volumes. If the Epos have a 4 ohm nominal impedance, this probably means that actually it may drop even more at some frequencies ("nominal" in this case means "average"). If the amp is designed to drive easier loads, it could have problems and overheat.

2- I think you can drive the speakers and get reasonable volumen levels even considering the 25W power output, and the low sensitivity of the Epos. But at high volumes the amp could start clipping, and this, in a very long term, may damage the speakers. At least that's what speaker manufacturers always say.

But the main problem here may come from the impedance load I think.

Also, I think the Epos deserve a better amp to really shine.

A

Anonymous

Unless you listen at silly volumes, there should really be no problem. My JVC only accepts 8-16ohm speakers supposedly and my Wharfedales drop to nearly 2ohms at certain frequencys and I've had no problems!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I did not expect one of such detail in quick order :) I think in the short term it will keep since I never play it at high volume. Once I've saved up I'll go for a better amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts