Denon AVR2805

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been offered a Denon AVR2805 for about 400pounds

I know it's quite an old amp and wondered how it would compare to more recent amps like the Onkyo605/Sony STR1200

A

Anonymous

I have had this amp for about 2 years now and it's a true classic. Great sound and built to last. Obviously the main shortcomings are lack of HDMI switching and decoding of the new sound formats from BluRay or HD-DVD, but if you buy an HD player with 5.1 analogue outputs you can whack them thru the Denon and enjoy whatever format the player decodes. If you connect your players direct to your flatscreen telly via HDMI and only require Dolby Digital / DTS decoding on the amp side (using coaxial/optical digital connection from the player) then go ahead! I'm certainly going down that route and hope to have many years enjoyment left in the Denon. 400 quid might be a bit steep though....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Mark - great amp in its day (it was an Award winner in 2004), and still should do the surround sound basics solidly.

However, i've just checked our Awards 2004 issue, and it was list-price £700 (and available for less) then - i'd expect a much bigger discount on a 3/4-year old piece of kit, especially with standards rising all the time. I'd be very surprised if the Onkyo 605 didn't take it for performance at that price....

TRENDING THREADS