Denon AVR2200, Jamo A102 and Atmos

cball313

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Unfortunately my Onkyo 605 amp has decided to start to play up a bit, so I have decided to order the Dennon AVR2200 as a replacement.

I currently have the Jamo A102 5.1 speakers running from the amp, but I also have another full 5.1 set of A102's in the loft.

seeing as the AVR2200 is compatible with Dolby Atmos, would it be possible for me to utilise the secon Jamo speaker set to set this up? Or would I need specific Atmos speakers?

Thanks.

Depends on how you're setting it up. If you're planning to bounce the sound off the ceiling, then you need specific Atmos speakers. If you're planning to mount the speakers on or near the ceiling, then any speaker will work.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I currently run a Denon AVR-X2200 and the main 5.1 is Tannoy HTS101 but I also run a couple of Jamo A102's as the rear surrounds mounted at ceiling level behind the normal seating position . I'm very pleased with the sound & integration and I would expect this to be better where all speakers are A102's.

Give it a go, you won't know until you try.

cball313

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Great thanks for the replys guys. I think I will mount the extra speakers for now (if I can hide the cable without the wife complaining) and look at the extra subwoofer after.

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
From what I have read, I think having more than one subwoofer helps create more uniform bass performance in different seating positions. You might have to experiment with different subwoofer placements, if it was me I would try it.

zoz1234

May 28, 2015
Visit site
All these home cinema enthusiasts with more speakers than a 5.1 set up......what do your wives think? I think I do well to get away with 5.1. I know of nobody else in my circle of associates who has more than a soundbar. Read that as allowed! I just recently bought a 65" xd93, so I intend to upgrade my amp in the coming months to accommodate me delving into the ultra blu ray market. With only a 5.1 speaker set up,am I right in thinking dolby Atmos is redundant, so having an Atmos compatible amp isn't necessary. Cheers for any feedback.

I have a very understanding wife and 11 speakers for a 7.1.4 Atmos setup. :) Also helped by the fact that all my speakers are in-wall or in-ceiling so they don't dominate the room.

It is possible to get Atmos without taking additional space than a 5.1 setup by 3 ways:

1) Use in-ceiling speakers which don't occupy any additional space in the room, and is the best solution for Atmos.

2) Get speakers with built-in Atmos module, which will bounce sound off the ceiling, like this :
RP-280FA-Top-Walnut.jpg

3) Buy Atmos speakers which will sit on top of your existing speakers and bounce sound off the ceiling, like this:

r300-r50-bookshelf.jpg

Sound reflected off the ceiling can be variable in performance (obviously).

zoz1234

May 28, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
I have a very understanding wife and 11 speakers for a 7.1.4 Atmos setup. :) Also helped by the fact that all my speakers are in-wall or in-ceiling so they don't dominate the room.

It is possible to get Atmos without taking additional space than a 5.1 setup by 3 ways:

1) Use in-ceiling speakers which don't occupy any additional space in the room, and is the best solution for Atmos.

2) Get speakers with built-in Atmos module, which will bounce sound off the ceiling, like this :

3) Buy Atmos speakers which will sit on top of your existing speakers and bounce sound off the ceiling, like this:

Thanks for the information, but none of that will happen either!! :)

I just wondered as with a dedicated 7.1 channel stream on a blu ray, the amp configures it down to a 5.1 system if that's all that you have. But there's no point doing that with atmos?? I only ask because i don't know what these UHD discs come with in terms of features. Soundtrack wise. I have read that some come with Atmos, some don't. Are there any that come with just Atmos? That's what i meant. Could an atmos soundtrack be played on a 5.1 system or will it just sound awful??

zoz1234 said:
bigboss said:

Thanks for the information, but none of that will happen either!! :)

I just wondered as with a dedicated 7.1 channel stream on a blu ray, the amp configures it down to a 5.1 system if that's all that you have. But there's no point doing that with atmos?? I only ask because i don't know what these UHD discs come with in terms of features. Soundtrack wise.  I have read that some come with Atmos, some don't. Are there any that come with just Atmos? That's what i meant. Could an atmos soundtrack be played on a 5.1 system or will it just sound awful??
Atmos tracks will automatically change to Dolby True HD when it doesn't detect an Atmos setup (because the base of Atmos is Dolby True HD).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts