Denon AVR-X4000 Power Off issues

bcolgan

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if others are experiencing any power issues with the Denon X4000 Receiver.

Mine began switching itself off randomly after I have it a month or two.

On initial installation, Audyssey detected speakers wired incorrectly but I checked my wiring and it was correct.

It played without issue for the first month or two.

I have also removed and reseated all connections.

Since then it has taken to randomly turning itself off with the red Power LED flashing.

It can do this with any source - CD/PC/Freesat/BD Player - but would be more frequent with CD/PC.

Last night for example, we were watching a movie from PC in DTS Surround and it turned itself off within 5mins.

I reset it and it did it again in another 3 mins.

Powered it on again and it played perfectly until end of movie, so 2hrs without issue.

It's really frustrating because if it was a wiring issue, I assume it would keep shutting itself down but the random nature of this fault makes me believe it is more an Receiver issue than a wiring problem.

As I say, from what I can see, all the wiring is correct and all worked perfectly with my Onkyo TX-NR905, which I literally swapped the speaker cables from one to the other before removing the NR905.

Any suggestions/known issues before I box it up and send it back?

Thanks for any help folks :)

Barry.

mattie_uk

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Assume he managed to sort it, given elapsed time, but for what it's worth I had a similar issue with an older Denon (pre-HDMI days) which was caused by overheating. I had to very carefully locate it to ensure a decent airflow.

My newer Denon AVR-X2000 runs a lot cooler, but not sure if the more powerful 4000 kicks out more heat.

bcolgan

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Apologies for such a delay in updating.

Yes, I did fix it.

The below was the response I got from Richer Sounds, who were kind enough to call Denon for me and their suggestions worked for a time:

"this is a problem that I have come across before but the solution previously was to remove a short in the speaker cable or, as was in the case of one Customer, to remove the nail that the plasterers had put through the cable when pitting up the boards.

If the receiver does this after checking for any shorts, then my suggestion would be to rule out an issue with the speakers and run just the front speakers and then add single speakers at a time. I know this may be quite difficult due to the random nature of the fault, but it's worth ruling out.

I have called Denon and this is not an issue that they are aware of as being a known fault. They have suggested a couple of things on top of what I have suggestged.

Switch off IP Control - This is just to make sure that another product is not triggering a power off.

Disable HMI control - This is to remove the likelihood of commands being received by other devices to power the unit off.

Ensure the auto standby feature is not enabled."

All worked well for a couple of months and then it stopped again.

I reseated every single connection, speakers and equipment. Plugged all back in and no issue since

Even managed to tune Audyssey now so Dialog level is up to +7 and Bass is similar.

Really appreciating the sound now.

Hope you're all enjoying similar :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts