DENON AVR X2200W Bass problems

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Ok if i locate some wire does it need to be speaker cable?

I understand i have to link the back of the speaker together via link plate or wire, what about the back of the amp? do i need to remove the rear surround the second part of the bi-amp? and just leave the front L+R connected?

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
adamg64 said:
Ok if i locate some wire does it need to be speaker cable?

I understand i have to link the back of the speaker together via link plate or wire, what about the back of the amp? do i need to remove the rear surround the second part of the bi-amp? and just leave the front L+R connected?

You need to remove both cables from your speakers and remove the cables from the L and R surround back.

make sure you have one single length of cable with the red and black banana plugs running from the front Left and Front right to each front speaker to either both top or both bottom connections on the speakers.

The two red and two black connectors need connecting together (red to red and black to black) on the speakers as shown in the picture i posted earlier.

I would use speaker cable to do this and make sure there are no stray strands contacting the speaker plate.

Make sure you remove the option in the menu for Bi-Amp.

Use pure direct mode for listening when testing.

I would also turn Multeq XT off and Dynamic EQ as well.

Make sure you do not have Graphic EQ turned on as well.

Then judge what sound you have.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Something tells me the bass was not there in the first place with single wired to the fronts thats why he is trying BI-amping as Denon calls it. Surely he would have done what everyone is saying he should do by now?

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Something tells me the bass was not there in the first place with single wired to the fronts thats why he is trying BI-amping as Denon calls it. Surely he would have done what everyone is saying he should do by now?

If you read the rest of the thread then no he hasn't.

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Ive just not had the time to single wire this atm, also lacking the link plates or spare wire so will need to visit the loft to see if i can find anything suitable.

But trust me it was there in the first place and was of a decent level, ive literally plug everything bit by bit from the onkyo to the denon and completly baffled.

I really just cannot accept that the denon has a so weak bass and the onkyo would be far superior if anything would have thought it'll be the other way around.

Everybody on this thread does have alot more knowledge that myself and i would assume they expect for me to get some kind of bass from the floor standers i have, other wise it would have been the case of just been told "its because you've not got a subwoofer"

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Q5 said:
Native_bon said:

If you read the rest of the thread then no he hasn't.
You missing the point. He may have done in the pass but not mentioned it on here?.. Just a thought but I may be wrong.

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello's guys.

Firstly i would like to thank everybody for the input over the last week regards my issue means alot.

I have now tried all suggestions and still unable to get the same level of base i got from my onkyo which is strange, its not a pigment of my imiignation with have the same setup and same living room layout for the pass 5yrs you grow acustom to it.

However i still want to give this denon a chance and with people suggesting i should add a sub to my setup and it would provide a better experience.

Before i throw money at it luckily my friend is mid-building a new setup and has cambridge audio mx201 in the box which i can borrow for a few days to test before i go and buy one.

Gonna pick it up tonight and will report my findings there :)

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I use to have a Denon Amp years ago. From memory there was a setting that reduced the the base for night time. Does the amp have that setting. If so switch it off and fingers crossed? It was a setting in the dynamic audio and it had night setting in there from memory

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Simon Pinkney said:
I use to have a Denon Amp years ago. From memory there was a setting that reduced the the base for night time. Does the amp have that setting. If so switch it off and fingers crossed? It was a setting in the dynamic audio and it had night setting in there from memory

I have read something into this but not sure if its on my unit or if it's even selected. It could be default?

http://imgur.com/a/VS5ol

^^ these are pics of the setting have have been running but this was a few days back and i have been playing around since.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
adamg64 said:
Hello's guys.

Firstly i would like to thank everybody for the input over the last week regards my issue means alot.

I have now tried all suggestions and still unable to get the same level of base i got from my onkyo which is strange, its not a pigment of my imiignation with have the same setup and same living room layout for the pass 5yrs you grow acustom to it.

However i still want to give this denon a chance and with people suggesting i should add a sub to my setup and it would provide a better experience.

Before i throw money at it luckily my friend is mid-building a new setup and has cambridge audio mx201 in the box which i can borrow for a few days to test before i go and buy one.

Gonna pick it up tonight and will report my findings there :)
That was my thoughts in the first place, that you may well not like the balance of sound compared to your Onkyo. Its your ears, go with what you feel comfortable listening to.

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
That was my thoughts in the first place, that you may well not like the balance of sound compared to your Onkyo. Its your ears, go with what you feel comfortable listening to.

[/quote]

Well ive not had a sub before so i guess with me getting to test one for a few days ive nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Slight hitch with the sub im taking he hasnt got round to picking up a sub cable i ordered this on amazon can anybody tell me its suitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CWZ01O6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
adamg64 said:

Well ive not had a sub before so i guess with me getting to test one for a few days ive nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Slight hitch with the sub im taking he hasnt got round to picking up a sub cable i ordered this on amazon can anybody tell me its suitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CWZ01O6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01...

[/quote]Bearing in mind you know what length you need then that should do the job. *dirol*

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
can I suggest a few things to try:

turn off MultEQ XT and Dynamic EQ.

if you are using the same make of spks all round then change your levels so that they are the same all round as there is quite a difference between your fronts and the surrounds.

same thing with the distances between spks and the listening position, the ideal thing is that they should be the same but obviously this can differ as nearly every a/v amp manufacturer thinks people sit directly in the middle of the room when listening.

finally someone mentioned some sort of "Dynamic compression" option, there is one but the menu shows the default option as "off".

*music2*

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, so i took the sub for a few days but i was still unimpressed with it.

Dunno if its me the amp or my settings but i am slowly falling out of love with it.

Im considering returning it to the store and getting an exchange for it.

prob gonna return to onkyo to hopefully everything will be same as before (fingers crossed) only had it just over a week so should'nt be any issues there hopefully.

Its looking like the onkyo TXSR444 looking at specs its prob a little step down but it meets my budget.

Any thoughts on this?

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
adamg64 said:
Hi guys, so i took the sub for a few days but i was still unimpressed with it.

Dunno if its me the amp or my settings but i am slowly falling out of love with it.

Im considering returning it to the store and getting an exchange for it.

prob gonna return to onkyo to hopefully everything will be same as before (fingers crossed) only had it just over a week so should'nt be any issues there hopefully.

Its looking like the onkyo TXSR444 looking at specs its prob a little step down but it meets my budget.

Any thoughts on this?

If you cannot find any decent bass even with a sub, your settings must be out, or the Denon is faulty but i doubt that.

Did you set the amp back to it's default settings and re run the auto setup.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
pls do what Q5 says, unplug everything, reset the amp (see manual) and start afresh making sure all speaker connections are made correctly, positive (red) to positive and negative (black) to negative at both ends from amp to spks.

I find it hard to believe that after all the advice me and others have given and that even with a sub now connected that you are still not getting the same bass performance that you got from your Onkyo, maybe the Denon is faulty but I doubt it.

If you try the above and still have no luck then I would go for the Onkyo, maybe as you've said you are tuned to the Onkyo "sound", strangely enough I went from a Denon to an Onyko nearly two years ago and in that time have found the Onkyo more dynamic and better at surround steering around the room.

Onkyo amps seem to get a bad press on this forum even though their reviews in What Hifi are usually positive.

*music2*

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Spoken to superfi and they wont refund me which is very disappoinitng they can only offer a credit note frustrating as the onkyo i was looking at was not listed.

They have however offered to do a sound test demo in there booth on the amp see whats going on next week as im on vacation for a week tonight, hopefully report back my findngs then.

adamg64 said:
Spoken to superfi and they wont refund me which is very disappoinitng they can only offer a credit note frustrating as the onkyo i was looking at was not listed.

They have however offered to do a sound test demo in there booth on the amp see whats going on next week as im on vacation for a week tonight, hopefully report back my findngs then.

How did you buy? In store or online? How many days elapsed between buying and requesting a refund?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:
Satellite speakers should be set to SMALL they should only be set to LARGE if you don't have a subwoofer

Only if they're small speakers: if they're larger, the 'large' setting will send some bass to them, and the really low stuff to the sub if there is one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts