DENON AVR X2200W Bass problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Q5 said:
I would go with David's suggestion, pure direct stereo mode, this will eliminate any auto setup getting in the way.

The front two are already set to full range.
The OP will lose out on surround sound for movies.

This was just for testing that the speakers are working as they should (front ones), where the bass would be coming from.

And that the Bi-Amping was not having an effect.

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Morning guys, Im still not got any improvement although ive not got round to trying all the ideas that have been posted so far as short for time and we had some rare sunshine yesterday so took advantage of it hopefully try it tonight.

I did this morning try switching the two reds and two blacks on the back of the front floor speakers around to see if there was any improvement but still no improvement tbh nothing changed with the output at all sounded the same either way round.

There has to be something going wrong somewhere im getting something wrong i think cant quite put my finger on it , its quite frustrating.

Was thinkning am i expecting too much but daughter was waching shrek2 this morning for like the 100th time and i no the points where bass is quiet high or should be scenes with music etc definatley a clear lack of it and not my imagination.

I have the sound set on movies and multi+surround is that right?

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
bigboss said:
Is it blu ray or DVD?

Make sure your settings are right.

Check this link:

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2300W/NA/EN/GFNFSYvdfworfs.php

If this doesn't work, maybe it's time for a subwoofer! :)

If the OP will complete the checks that have been suggested he will have a starting point.

I think he also needs to eliminate the auto setup settings, if there is sufficient bass after this then the auto setup or setup in general that is wrong.

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I will try the checks tonight to be sure, the film was on netflicks via ps4.

I built the original system bit by bit, amp plus 2 fronts then added rear and finally centre, the sub was gonna be the last piece but as the setup provided a suitable level of bass there wasnt a need to add one.

Although its an option i have been considering adding now with issues im having but thats throwing money at the issue and not fixing what issue im having.

This might sound silly but i guess me video'ing it wouldnt give a true representaion of the sound im having?

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
adamg64 said:

I built the original system bit by bit, amp plus 2 fronts then added rear and finally centre, the sub was gonna be the last piece but as the setup provided a suitable level of bass there wasnt a need to add one.

Although its an option i have been considering adding now with issues im having but thats throwing money at the issue and not fixing what issue im having.

This might sound silly but i guess me video'ing it wouldnt give a true representaion of the sound im having?

I don't think a video will help, sound won't pick up or play back as you hear it.

Go back to basics, prove the speakers give you what you need bass wise and eliminate any of the auto setup.

play something you are familiar with and know the bass well, use this throughout your testing.

Make sure you use pure direct mode and single wire your speakers removing the option of Bi-Amp.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Q5 said:
adamg64 said:

I don't think a video will help, sound won't pick up or play back as you hear it.

Go back to basics, prove the speakers give you what you need bass wise and eliminate any of the auto setup.

play something you are familiar with and know the bass well, use this throughout your testing.

Make sure you use pure direct mode and single wire your speakers removing the option of Bi-Amp.
1, Check your levels of the main L&R channel, sometimes auto setup can vary volumes between the main L&R up to 5dbs. This can give a distant sound some how lacking in bass.

2, If the above is not the case, then reset the amp & play straight stereo with single wiring as suggested to see if the lack of bass is still a problem.

3 If bass is back to normal then it may well be your wiring or & auto setup.

4 If bass is still lacking in all the above you just dnt like the amp.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Q5 said:
adamg64 said:

1, Check your levels of the main L&R channel, sometimes auto setup can vary volumes between the main L&R up to 5dbs. This can give a distant sound some how lacking in bass.

2, If the above is not the case, then reset the amp & play straight stereo with single wiring as suggested to see if the lack of bass is still a problem.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Q5 said:
adamg64 said:

adamg64 said:
Floorstanders don't go as deep as most subwoofers. Adding a subwoofer will make a huge improvement to your system. It's the most important bit of a home cinema system IMO.

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
http://imgur.com/a/CfaAm

this is my cabling, lost a plug over time on one of the speakers and never did the centre.

Not sure if this shows anything.

Bit difficult to try the tests atm with late work finishes and baby early bed time.

adamg64

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Just a little update got a few mins to play about and go back through settings etc.

I disabled the read and centre speakers and kept only the fronts i switched from bi-amp to front B this allowed me to control my front speakers in 3 modes A , B, A+B.

A was quiet beefy but obviously still lacking the bass, B was almost non existant sounded like removed headphones A+B was fine (no bass tho)

I'm not sure this means anything but thought i'd share at least.

Not had chance to single wire yet but im lacking the speaker links will this be a problem?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
showing the rear of your amp, you have a total of five speakers, front left & right (2), centre (1) and rear (2) to connect to the amp, so there shouldn't be anything connected to the "surround back" terminals, these are usually for an extra set of surround spks to get 7.0 in your case.

pls check out this link to the manual and scroll down to the first picture showing the connections for a 5.1 system.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2200W/EU/EN/WBSPSYtweharpi.php

Try connecting the speakers to the amp like this ( you will need to double up the cables for your front L &R spks at the amp end making sure that all red's are connected to the red terminal and the black's are connected to the black terminals).

let us know how your get on.

*music2*

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
adamg64 said:
but there Bi-amp speakers? it tells me to do that?

Yes, as far as i can see you have it wired like the diagram i posted earlier.

If you have some spare speaker cable you can use the cable instead of the link plates. I do think you need to try the speakers without Bi-Amping them.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea where you get this information from that you have "bi-amped" speakers, I think this is where some of the confusion has come from, what you mean is that your front speakers are "bi-wireable" which means each speaker has two cables running from the back of each speaker to the front L+R terminals on the amp.

I'm sorry Q5 but for now we the most basic way of connecting the speakers to the amp, when adamg64 has the sound he likes then we can start changing things around.

*music2*

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
macdiddy said:
I have no idea where you get this information from that you have "bi-amped" speakers, I think this is where some of the confusion has come from, what you mean is that your front speakers are "bi-wireable" which means each speaker has two cables running from the back of each speaker to the front L+R terminals on the amp.

I'm sorry Q5 but for now we the most basic way of connecting the speakers to the amp, when adamg64 has the sound he likes then we can start changing things around.

*music2*

According to the Denon manual and the diagram i posted earlier, Denon call it Bi-Amp.

The OP needs to go back to basics, remove the Bi-Amp option and single wire his speakers.

I am not the only one who has suggested this and without a baseline to work from no logical path can be used.

It may be a pain to start again, but we need to eliminate anything including the auto setup that can be the cause.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts