denon avr 1910 Audyssey setup help

striple

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
hi all

can anyone help just purchased a denon avr 1910 av reciever ,when i do the auto setup the distances it lists for speakers like my sub as being 6.38m away from listening point is actually only 3.10m.also says my front left speaker was out of phase but when i checked everything it was fine, anyone else had similar problems.

should i ignore the above and do a manual setup

thanks

striple

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
hi pindi

yes my sub is only approx 40cm from the wall,did you do a manual set up with distances at the end.i've looked on this site on the review it said to turn audyssey off after set up has completed .how have you done yours?

thanks

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I have the 1909, which is similar. The "out of phase" reply sometimes happens. If you're certain they're correct, just start-over and keep going until it gets it right. Re the sub - placing is less of an issue for it, but if the amp allows you to manually correct just do that.

On turning off the audessey afterwards, my amp has a button on the front see here "MultEq". Keep pressing that until the red or green dot light (see the link again) goes out. You will need to do this in each setting (i.e. TV, BD, DVD, GAME, IPOD etc.). I think it takes a lot of the "muddle" out of the sound and makes the rears sound better.

Also, try the Pure Direct (the display turns off) setting (see back of the remote, inside the flap) for music.

striple

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the advice big aura i give that a try.

i see from the pic of your 1909 it displays "dolby true hd" i'm sure mine just said "dolby hd" .is there a setting to change this or has the newer model done away with this?

on another note i'm running my with b&w 685's fronts and the rest as per my signature,with the volume control nothing seems to start happening until about -40 it starts at -70 .so when i'm watching a blu-ray it needs to be on about -30 to get some decent volume,is this the norm?

also i've changed the setting on my fronts to small audyssey set them to large.

thanks

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I've taken the manual setup option too. But it still goes back to Audyseey when I use Quick Select! I'll figure that out...

It's receommended that you set all speakers to 'Small' if you've got a sub.

With regards to your Dolby question, it depeneds on the source. You will get Dolby True HD and DTS HD on Blu-ray.

striple

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
thanks for info pindi

what i mean is does your display say "dolby true hd " or just "dolby hd" as per the link with big aura.

when playing iron man blu-ray my display says "dolby hd" and the blue light on

thanks

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
striple: i see from the pic of your 1909 it displays "dolby true hd" i'm sure mine just said "dolby hd" .is there a setting to change this or has the newer model done away with this? that I don't know - my first BD player (Sony BDP-s760 is currently under Seamus the Christmas Tree (all of our plants have names)). Presume the manual will give guidance on what lights should show when True HD is in play (if you can decipher it, I imagine it was written in Japanese and translated into English by Babelfish via Greek, Urdu and Cornish...

striple:on another note i'm running my with b&w 685's fronts and the rest as per my signature,with the volume control nothing seems to start happening until about -40 it starts at -70 .so when i'm watching a blu-ray it needs to be on about -30 to get some decent volume,is this the norm? I tend to watch TV at -40 and DVDs at -28, so sounds similar to you. I think the more 'detail' in a sound track, the more you need to pump up the volume to get the same effect.

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Thinking about it, the Matrix should display Dolby True HD, but I still get Dolby Digital. I may need to play with the settings though.

I have the same problem with the varying volume levels too, there is an option to normalise this, but you need to have Audyssey on, annoyingly!

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Pindi:

I haven't actually seen Dolby True HD, or Dolbly HD displayed yet.

If you haven't seen Dolby True HD or Dolby HD displayed, what do you usually see? Are you seeing MULTI CH on the front of the AVR or you just seeing vanilla Dolby D?

If it's MULTI CH that you're seeing, then you have your BD deck set to decode audio internally and output it as PCM. If it's Dolby Digital then you would appear to have the player hooked up to the receiver via optical or coaxial digital cable to the AVR and not by HDMI which would be the only connection you would need. I highly doubt it's the second one, but the first likelihood is very probable.

striple

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
hi

i've seen dolby hd from iron man blu-ray,but not seen dolby true hd yet!

my panasonic bd35 is set to bitstream and secondary audio set to off if this helps

amp is fed via hdmi from bd player then from player hdmi to tv

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
striple:
my panasonic bd35 is set to bitstream and secondary audio set to off if this helps

Probably to do with

1) BD player settings. For the S760 this means in Audio Settings, changing BD Audio from 'Mix' to 'Direct' to get bitstreamed audio (may save abit of time for Big Aura a week on Friday, who can be reassured the manual is straightforward apart from not explaining the significance of this setting very well.) and/or :-

2) Make sure you select the right audio on the blu ray disc often get a dolby digital track and a separate HD one.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
striple:
hi

i've seen dolby hd from iron man blu-ray,but not seen dolby true hd yet!

Striple,

I believe on the newer AVRs Denon Has changed the onscreen display from Dolby True HD to Dolby HD. If it weren't TrueHD that you were listening to your display would say Dolby Digital or Dolby D. The fact that it says Dolby "HD" very much points to you getting the proper HD audio track.

striple

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
hi Tom

thanks for that had closer look at display last night, you're right the display says "dolby hd" with a very small icon saying true hd andblue light to right of display hd audio.

this is my first amp with the new formats,yes i can hear a noticeable difference in sound much clearer audio on speech and seems to be alot more detail in surround affects.

Gimp67

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Striple,

I think you've got the answer there - irrespective of whether you are receiving Dolby HD or DTS HD, you are looking for that little blue light to come on. If it's on, then the receiver is receiving HD audio. As mentioned previously, the default soundtrack may not be HD and you may have to set manually. NOTE though that not all BDs come with HD soundtracks ...

I've recently bought the same amp (along with KEF IQ5SEs and IQ2C) and am still playing with it. As a numpty myself, I am bewildered by the amount of settings available, and while the manual may state how to set it - it doesn't state why you should set it.

So recommend looking up the 'BATPIG' guide to setting up Denons. I would post a hyperlink here, but refer back to my earlier 'numpty' comment. Search for it.

cheers

TRENDING THREADS