DENON 2808 / ONKYO TX-SR606 / YAMAHA RX-V863

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Good afternoon,

it is my first message, i'm Philippe and I'm a HiFi and HC freak (please excuse my bad english, i'm from Belgium).

I would like to buy a new surround amplificator and I hesitate between 3 models:

the DENON 2808, the ONKYO TX-SR606 and the YAMAHA RX-V863.

All 3 are good or very good but i would like to have an amplificator very "sonorus" ("musical") because I look and hear often musical

DVD's (concerts, ...). It is why I have for the moment a Cambridge Audio 540R. This one is good with a good sound but it is not so

dynamic for the films, action films, ...

My loudspeakers are 3 Mordaunt-Short MS 914 for the front and 2 Monitor Audio R90 rear and it is why I'm looking for an amplificator

with 100/110 watts per channel (8ohms).

I just would like to know if someone have some feedback about these 3 models ?

Or if someone have already done a comparaison between 2 or 3 of this amplificators ?

Thank you very much in advance for you help and information.

Regards,

Philippe.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
From the the three i would say that the Onkyo is least musical not sure how the Denon preforms but the Yamaha got a five star rating this month and a solid all round preformer at £490 down from £800 in the UK. So going on that i would suggest audition all three and see what you prefer, for me its probably the Yamaha.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
submarinerlv:
Good afternoon,

it is my first message, i'm Philippe and I'm a HiFi and HC freak (please excuse my bad english, i'm from Belgium).

I would like to buy a new surround amplificator and I hesitate between 3 models:

the DENON 2808, the ONKYO TX-SR606 and the YAMAHA RX-V863.

All 3 are good or very good but i would like to have an amplificator very "sonorus" ("musical") because I look and hear often musical

DVD's (concerts, ...). It is why I have for the moment a Cambridge Audio 540R. This one is good with a good sound but it is not so

dynamic for the films, action films, ...

My loudspeakers are 3 Mordaunt-Short MS 914 for the front and 2 Monitor Audio R90 rear and it is why I'm looking for an amplificator

with 100/110 watts per channel (8ohms).

I just would like to know if someone have some feedback about these 3 models ?

Or if someone have already done a comparaison between 2 or 3 of this amplificators ?

Thank you very much in advance for you help and information.

Regards,

Philippe.

If you can get by with just two hdmi out, the Denon is the best of the three by a distance.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

thank you very much for these advises.

I will try to "test" the 3 models.

Regards,

Philippe.

A

Anonymous

This seems a bit silly.

Until Richer Sounds dedided to discount the Denon 2808 from £900 down to £400, the Onkyo had been beaten by the lesser Denon 1909. So, the 2808 is going to be a country mile ahead of both.

The Yamaha can't hope to compete with the Denon and quite honestly the Denon is one of the most stunning AV Amps you can buy. At £400 it's a ridiculous steal. I wish I needed one. I'd jump at it. Trying to persuade my friends to! :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:This seems a bit silly.

Until Richer Sounds dedided to discount the Denon 2808 from £900 down to £400, the Onkyo had been beaten by the lesser Denon 1909. So, the 2808 is going to be a country mile ahead of both.

The Yamaha can't hope to compete with the Denon and quite honestly the Denon is one of the most stunning AV Amps you can buy. At £400 it's a ridiculous steal. I wish I needed one. I'd jump at it. Trying to persuade my friends to! :)

Agreed. If they had them in black I would have bought one at lunchtime on the day they made the offer and carried it home on the train. It's at least two machines up from the receivers mentioned.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:
The Yamaha can't hope to compete with the Denon

Are you sure about that? Have you heard them both? Don't forget the Yamaha was £800 when launched....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Will Harris:

Are you sure about that? Have you heard them both? Don't forget the Yamaha was £800 when launched....

Clare, I may be wrong but are you mistaking this Yamaha model to the one that was reviewed in the November edition?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Clare Newsome:
Will Harris:

Clare, I may be wrong but are you mistaking this Yamaha model to the one that was reviewed in the November edition?

I most certainly am - I was talking about the DSP-AX863SE. Just saw the '863' bit and waded straight in
emotion-10.gif

Nice one, Yamaha, for potentially confusing consumers (let alone overworked journos) by using the same model numbers....

As you were, everybody!

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
How big a problem is the Denon 2808 only having 2 HDMI inputs?

Is there any decrease in sound quality/picture quality by for example plugging a ps3/sky HD/360 into the tv then running 1 optical out from the tv into the Denon 2808 optical in? Will this create worse sound/picture than an hdmi going direct from the ps3/sky hd/360 into the denon?

Was set on the Sony 2400es if it got a good review but now i am wondering!

A

Anonymous

Yes. That's a truly horrible idea. Get an HDMI switching box. Shouldn't add much to the cost or ditch the 360.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:Yes. That's a truly horrible idea. Get an HDMI switching box. Shouldn't add much to the cost or ditch the 360.

Use component on the HD box (which only offers 1080i) with optical audio - both to the 2808 (you don't get 5.1 sound using hdmi on an HD box anyway). The 2808 upconverts component to hdmi and will upscale to 1080p so you won't lose much if anything and the sound will be the same.

Or you can use hdmi from screen to HD box and then optical from HD box to receiver (this will give you great results too).

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Gerrardasnails:Clare Newsome:
Will Harris:

I most certainly am - I was talking about the DSP-AX863SE. Just saw the '863' bit and waded straight in
emotion-10.gif

Nice one, Yamaha, for potentially confusing consumers (let alone overworked journos) by using the same model numbers....

As you were, everybody!

I could be wrong on this but i think its the same machine except for the uk tuned bit - originally poster is from Belgium

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=567570&CTID=5000300
http://www.yamaha-uk.com/av_amps_receivers/?product_id=207

If it is in fact the same i'd go for the yamaha!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts