Denon 2500BT replacement?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hey all,

I need to replace my Denon 2500BT to take advantage of (or at least try) 3D. My reciever is the Denon 4308a and does not have 3D capability. I need a twin HDMI 3D player that will be at least as good and hopefully better than the 2500BT.

I've been reading threads and the glowing praise for the Oppo 105, do I need all these features or is the Oppo 103 just as good for my application?

TV is the Panasonic 65VT50 and the speakers are the Monitor Audio RS silver range in 7.1 set up.

I was thinking of setting up my Pioneer 50 inch in the next room (very close for hdmi cable purposes) and I have read that the 105 can send a similtaneous image and that other sources could be plugged into the 105 to take advantage of it's superior processing.

Basically do I get the 103 or pay the extra 500 on the 105? Will the 103 also do the above?

Cheers.

camdxr said:
Hey all,

I need to replace my Denon 2500BT to take advantage of (or at least try) 3D. My reciever is the Denon 4308a and does not have 3D capability. I need a twin HDMI 3D player that will be at least as good and hopefully better than the 2500BT.

I've been reading threads and the glowing praise for the Oppo 105, do I need all these features or is the Oppo 103 just as good for my application?

If you're going to connect the blu ray player to the AV receiver via HDMI, there's no difference between the Oppo 103 & 105. Oppo 105's analogue connection has a superior DAC. However, if you get your lovely Denon AV receiver to decode audio, you won't need the 105.

I was thinking of setting up my Pioneer 50 inch in the next room (very close for hdmi cable purposes) and I have read that the 105 can send a similtaneous image and that other sources could be plugged into the 105 to take advantage of it's superior processing.

Basically do I get the 103 or pay the extra 500 on the 105? Will the 103 also do the above?

Oppo 103 also has this feature.

Check this:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

"Two HDMI v1.4a output ports are provided to offer the most versatile installation options to both older and newer HDMI equipment. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-103 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-103 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously."

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Cheers BigBoss, a reply that saves money is always welcome ;-) You refer to my 4308a as "lovely", it's been a while since I bought this, is it still up there with the best or would an upgrade bring many benefits? (seeing as I've saved cash on only needing the 103...........don't tell the wife!

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Sorry BigBoss, more questions....really should think it through thoroughly before posting in future.....anyway....given my kit list (in sig) if you had these how would you best hook up a new bluray player, whether 103 or 105, to get the best results? Would you use the analogue of the 105 or just HDMI? Cheers.

camdxr said:
Cheers BigBoss, a reply that saves money is always welcome ;-) You refer to my 4308a as "lovely", it's been a while since I bought this, is it still up there with the best or would an upgrade bring many benefits? (seeing as I've saved cash on only needing the 103...........don't tell the wife!

The Denon decodes all popular HD audio formats. If I were you, I would save up for an upgrade after 1-2 years.

camdxr said:
Sorry BigBoss, more questions....really should think it through thoroughly before posting in future.....anyway....given my kit list (in sig) if you had these how would you best hook up a new bluray player, whether 103 or 105, to get the best results? Would you use the analogue of the 105 or just HDMI? Cheers.

If you buy the 105 & connect it via HDMI, you've wasted your money.

If you buy the 103, connect it via HDMI to the receiver.

If you buy the 105, connect it via analogue to the receiver.

You should demo both & see if you're happy with 105's audio performance & whether it justifies the extra £500.

Check this, which may help you decide between the 2 players:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/oppo-blu-ray-q-a

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Great article, cheers for the link. If I'm reading it correctly then i can connect both screens from the twin HDMI output but then I assume I would lose the benefit of 3D because I would no longer be able to connect to both AV reciever and TV? Would it be possible to have the best of both Worlds with the 105? Maybe use one of the HDMI to send picture to the TV, analogue out to the amp and still retain the second HDMI to second TV? As always demoing is nigh on impossible, coming back to the UK for a week in the next few days and the chances of finding a dealer with all my kit to demo both back to back I would assume is impossible.

camdxr said:
Great article, cheers for the link. If I'm reading it correctly then i can connect both screens from the twin HDMI output but then I assume I would lose the benefit of 3D because I would no longer be able to connect to both AV reciever and TV? Would it be possible to have the best of both Worlds with the 105? Maybe use one of the HDMI to send picture to the TV, analogue out to the amp and still retain the second HDMI to second TV? As always demoing is nigh on impossible, coming back to the UK for a week in the next few days and the chances of finding a dealer with all my kit to demo both back to back I would assume is impossible.

I don't think that is possible. Your option then is to upgrade your AV receiver as well.

Edit: Let me get back to you after I get my head round this.

It is an interesting question. In video setup, you can choose between split A/V or dual display (you will choose dual display). Audio setup is separate to this. Technically, you should simply ask it to output audio via analogue and it should work. Check this with your dealer when you go to demo.

This is what I've found:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html#how-does-dual-hdmi-output-work

"How does Dual HDMI Output work?

In Setup -> Video Setup -> Dual HDMI Output you have two choices:

Split A/V
Dual Display
This matters only if you are using both HDMI outputs simultaneously. If you are using only one then the setting doesn't matter.

There are three cases:

When only one HDMI port is in use, the Split A/V and Dual Display modes do not apply. The player will output the best audio and video format based on the user's setup menu choices and the device's ability obtained via the handshake.

For concurrent audio and video output on both HDMI outputs, the Dual Display mode should be selected. HDMI1 and HDMI2 take a "best effort" strategy and output an audio/video signal that is compatible with the downstream devices connected to both ports. The audio and video output format will be based on the two HDMI device's common abilities. You can get 3D on both screens if both support 3D.

If HDMI1 is connected to a display and HDMI2 is connected to an AVR, the Split A/V mode should be selected.

HDMI1 is the primary video port and HDMI2 is the primary audio port.

HDMI1 outputs video at the highest possible resolution and mutes audio. (Or: HDMI1 will always have the best video but may not have audio in certain cases, such as when HDMI2 is doing HD audio bitstreaming).

HDMI2 outputs video at a resolution that can sufficiently carry the best audio. It will always have audio but video is delivered on a "best effort" basis -- in some cases (such as when 3D is sent over HDMI1 but the HDMI2 device does not support 3D), a black screen will be sent to HDMI2."

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi BigBoss, I read the same as you. Does seem that the best solution for premium picture and sound is to send picture to the TV and sound via the second HDMI. Can't seem to find if you can seperate the audio to the analogue interconnects whilst using the dual screen option. I will definately have to ask the dealer (when I find one within the vicinity of Hereford) to try this.

In the meantime can anyone else or any friendly dealers on here confirm or deny this possibility?

So as it stands at the moment to the best of both of our knowledge unless the 105 can output audio to analogue whilst still providing a twin screen set up then the 103 is the best option and look to upgrade the reciever?

Thanks for your continued interest and support BB.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
A few months back I was in a similar situation to yourself. Here's what I did and I've no regrets whatsoever.

I sold the 2500BT and replaced it with a freebie Panasonic 120 BDP. I also sold my "non-3D-ready" Yamaha RX-V1065 and replaced it with a Yamaha RX-A810.

In terms of getting the most bang-for-buck, this was a no-brainer for me. If you can sell the Denon 4308 for a half decent price, I think you'll get greater value from replacing your AVR while opting for a budget BDP.

Your situation is different from mine, since you have a very expensive AVR. However, if you can make an AVR upgrade and BDP "downgrade" work financially, I think you'll end up with a better system overall. There are some great prices on outgoing AVRs right now, too!

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix...

strapped for cash said:
A few months back I was in a similar situation to yourself. Here's what I did and I've no regrets whatsoever.

I sold the 2500BT and replaced it with a freebie Panasonic 120 BDP. I also sold my "non-3D-ready" Yamaha RX-V1065 and replaced it with a Yamaha RX-A810.

In terms of getting the most bang-for-buck, this was a no-brainer for me. If you can sell the Denon 4308 for a half decent price, I think you'll get greater value from replacing your AVR while opting for a budget BDP.

Your situation is different from mine, since you have a very expensive AVR. However, if you can make an AVR upgrade and BDP "downgrade" work financially, I think you'll end up with a better system overall. There are some great prices on outgoing AVRs right now, too!

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix...

Yes, that's an option that came in my mind as well, but I'm not sure if AVRs can output simultaneous playback on 2 displays which the OP wants.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Good point, though I'm not convinced there would be much gained from pairing a high end BDP with a 50" second room screen.

I'm using a 50" screen and could detect little (if any) difference between the 2500 and the Panasonic 120 in terms of upscaling. (I don't want to start a debate about differences between players in terms of Blu-ray disc performance. ;) )

For the limited benefit marginally better second room upscaling would bring, I would still be looking to upgrade the AVR. Maybe the OP could move the 2500 into the second room, along with Pioneer. That option seems more convenient to me, in terms of cabling and general use.

What if someone in the second room wants to watch a Blu-ray? Would they shout across each time they want to pause the film? Or run to the main room to operate the Oppo? Presumably remote commands will struggle with a wall in the way.

I still think the OP would get a better performance-per-pound upgrade with a new AVR and cheap BDP. I suppose there's merit in buying the Oppo for use with a 65" screen in the main room, if the OP still watches a lot of DVDs and other sources that need upscaling to 1080p.

Anyway, I really wanted to outline an alternative to the original plan. That alternative may or may not suit the OP's requirements and budget.

I'm also not sure what advantages simultaneous screening in two separate rooms would bring. The only use I can think of is if you have, say, 30 plus people round, everyone wants to watch the same thing, and you can't fit them all in one room. Otherwise, surely everyone would watch the bigger TV...

strapped for cash said:
Good point, though I'm not convinced there would be much gained from pairing a high end BDP with a 50" second room screen.

I'm using a 50" screen and could detect little (if any) difference between the 2500 and the Panasonic 120 in terms of upscaling. (I don't want to start a debate about differences between players in terms of Blu-ray disc performance. ;) )

I've always agreed on this, so no debate from my side! ;)

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Maybe I should of given a little more information.....I have a very large open plan, lounge, pool room, dining room and bar set up. The 65 is in the lounge part and the 50 was going to go behind the bar. The "sources" I have for viewing are many and varied: OSN (saudi sky) set top box, Humax set top box, Toshiba HD DVD, Blu ray TBD, Ariel (compound tv).

The reason for using the twin HDMI output from the Oppo was to take advantage of the superior scaling, quality etc. The images on both screens will be the same. So if I'm watching sport it will show on both, watching MTV, show on both etc etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts