Denon 2500BT Is it worth this price

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:I agree with Jase. Although my Onkyo 876 is a great upscaler, the Denon 2500bt walks all over it. Set it for 1080p on the player and forget about it.Absolutely Dave, how you doing anyway mate?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
pauled51:Does the Denon have a 720p output setting? Wouldn't this be a better native resolution for an HD-ready TV?Yes, this is all down to preference? However if i had just a HD-Ready TV id almost definately use the 720p setting.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jase!

Because of you, I'm awaiting delivery this week on 3 Silver plated and cryo'd Wattgate 320i's on black Rhodium Super Jazz cable into a silver plated mains box.....damn you! I've already got I Am Legend next to the Blu Ray player in anticipation!!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:
Hi Jase!

Because of you, I'm awaiting delivery this week on 3 Silver plated and cryo'd Wattgate 320i's on black Rhodium Super Jazz cable into a silver plated mains box.....damn you! I've already got I Am Legend next to the Blu Ray player in anticipation!!
hahaha your wifes going to hate me mate, anyway im glad you have faith in me, im sure you wont be disapointed Dave! Like ive stated I am legend looks stunning now & its a great movie.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
pauled51:Interseting indeed, especially as they are suggesting that the Anchor Bay ABT2010 chip on the AVR-2310 does a better job than the DVD 2500BT upscaler.

Yes, I see what you mean. Maybe Denon's feeling is that, with the 2310 being a later generation in design, the implementation of the chips are better. As with top-end CD players, they all largely use the same Burr Brown chips, yet it's the way they're implemented that can make them sound/perform totally differently.

pauled51:My understanding of your setup, however, is that if you have the 2500BT set to 1080p, then the 2310 will receive that format and have nothing to upscale - surely it will only upscale if sent a signal lower than 1080p

You'd have thought, wouldn't you? Maybe it's something to do with the way it passes through the signal?

pauled51:So, to test the difference from what you have now, you need to set the 2500BT to 576p and then the 2310 will upscale it to 1080p. If Denon UK are right, you should see an improvement. Can you test this?

Well, doing what you've suggested, no I don't - it's visibly worse. But that's just quickly with a DVD that happened to be in the machine - hardly exhaustive. Once I'd set things up and settled on my settings, and since having bought a Harmony remote, it's all a bit of a pain to change the set-up between this and that: I'd need to dig out the original remotes, find some batteries, and try things more thoroughly. Somebody else out there must have this same set-up too that could test Denon's suggestion more easily?

I suspect my own perceived improvements with both the 2500BT and AVR2310 being set to upscale are probably down to the use of Russ Andrews PowerKords on both the 2500BT and the AVR2310 - but you'll have to ask Jase about that!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Wireman - thanks for your feedback again.

Your reference to Russ Andrews PowerKords: what are these? Are they replacements power cables? I do have a power protection unit for all my equipment, but by no means expensive (I paid around £60), but I have never invested in replacement power cables to the DVD, TV, etc. How much difference do these make and can you recommend both power protection devices and replacement power cables?

As I am considering upgrading my whole system (I will even consider the Denon DVD-3800BD), then I guess I should also consider power protection and cables (or rather that it is essential)?

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Upgraded mains cables are a controversial subject here, but a few users feel that the 2500BT and Sky boxes especially benefit from using them. Jase fox, as perhaps the leading proponent of both RA PowerKords and the Denon 2500BT on this forum, has a long-running thread titled "DCT Treatment of powerkords review", which will give you a flavour of what they're about.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes this is what i would of suggested, rather than go into detail again and just repeat myself just look on the thread i started that Wireman has just stated, youll find theres many opinions on there, its probably the most successful powerkord thread thats ever been on these forums several hundred replies and NO LOCKING !!

Enjoy the read.

A

Anonymous

Jase: thanks for pointing to that interesting thread - something else to consider when upgrdaing my whole system. Apart from power cord upgrades, can you recommend a mains filter / conditioner? I guess you can pay anywhere from £50 to £500, so best keep it within sensible bounderies compared to the total outlay?

Appreciate any advice....

A

Anonymous

Well after all that i have gone and purchased a Denon 3800BD and not the 2500BT, i could not seem to find the 2500BT anywhere.

I came accross the 3800BD at, well what i would consider a bargin so i just hope it was worth the bit extra. I nearly went for the 2010 model but i am not too bothered about profile 2 , i just want a machine that can play movies well so i just hope this one is considerably better.

A

Anonymous

Let us know how you get on with your new machine. I'm sure it will be splendid.

A

Anonymous

The last place i saw a 2500BT was on Ebay for £400 + Delivery but he was willing to accept £350 + Del if paid by basnk transfer and not paypal.

It was brand new and boxed but because it was not supplied by a Denon retailer it only had a 30 day warranty.

I can honestly say i have looked everywhere for one although i was looking for silver and if you prefer black i think one was available at sound and vision in Bolton for £449 bran new.

A

Anonymous

Sevenoaks always seem to have stock

HiFix was the cheapest I've seen

Bear in mind that you might have to go to the dealer to buy one due to Denons internet sales restrictions

A

Anonymous

I bought a Sony BDP-S760 without auditioning the Denon - big mistake!!! The Denon is clearly the much better player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts