Denon 2500BT Is it worth this price

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

i have found a Brand New Denon 2500 BT for £350 plus £20 Del. Given its been around a little while is this a good price considering the other players available.

A

Anonymous

i wouldnt buy it , not after seeing the prices of sonys new blu-ray players , a few months ago , maybe , but now ?? id be waiting for the new stuff....

Completely agree with maxflinn here. The Denon 2500BT has now become 2 generations old. I would wait to see what the newer models have to offer (by which time, even the Denon 2500BT will be further massively reduced in price).

D

Deleted member 2457

mark8par:

Hi,

i have found a Brand New Denon 2500 BT for £350 plus £20 Del. Given its been around a little while is this a good price considering the other players available.

Would you care to share where you found that deal? Fully understand if you would not like too.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I just bought mine at £300.00 and am overjoyed with it. This replaced a Panasonic DMP-BD35 (a fantastic machine in it's own right!) and has provided me with a superior picture and sound quality.

I tested this side-by-side with a Sony BDP-S760 and a Pioneer BDP-LX52 and the Denon was clearly the winner!

New machines, 3D etc - doesn't bother me at all.

A

Anonymous

Gel

I found it on Ebay brand new and boxed but have since found out it only has 30 day warranty due to it not coming from a dealer.

Valian where did you find one for £300

A

Anonymous

Mine was purchased from a friend. Still has 13 months warranty left on it.

A

Anonymous

For the price it's going for now, the Denon DVD-2500BT is absolutely the best around and trashes the new machines easily - it has the best PQ & SQ.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
mark8par:
Hi,

What you do is you buy it without hesitation Mark, its a fantastic machine ive had mine more or less since it came out & nothing "ive" seen since its launch has blown it out the water. Why wait for new machines to arrive when you can get a classic like the Denon for that kinda cash brand new?

Its a no brainer, purchase with confidence....

A

Anonymous

agree 100% with evil wolf. I paid 330 quid for my s760 and to my eyes and ears the Denon trounces it. I'm actually not that taken by the sony as i have been spoiled by seeing the denon in action. I sent mine back though because it played hardly any discs i had and i also struggled with the firmware upgrades, but thats probably me being a techy ******..... plus it was 750 quid at the time!! The denon is also a stunning DVD player!!!!

A

Anonymous

Still not too late to get one at the prices they are going for these day, mate! It is such a beautifully built machine.

For today's money, you're getting a hell of a lot!! No complaints whatsoever from me!!

Mr Gaz

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I paid 600 quid a year ago worth every penny ,the build quality is amazing never had any issues at all just great pictures and sound..

Grab a bargain whilst you can !

A

Anonymous

If someone wants this wi-fi business and all the funny gizmos etc, don't buy the Denon. It was not built for all this.

IMO, we are here for the best picture and sound quality so we can enjoy blu-ray movies at home, and like me, give the cinema a skip.

So, in order of ranking (up to £2k):

1. Pioneer BDP-LX91

2. Sony BDP-S5000ES

3. Denon DVD-2500BT

Then only comes everything else - way behind.

A

Anonymous

I am also looking at the Denon 2500BT on Ebay at around the £300 price (showroom model but inused), or brand new at £500.

At the price it seems an excellent choice, although I was interested in if it is really worth going any more up-market unless your other components are also very upmarket? I am looking to upgrade to the Denon AVR-2310, KEF KHT3005SE & a new Panasonic Plasma from their 2010 range when they come - either a 46" or 50" as I sit around 11 feet away. So, from this set up would I gain anything significant if I spend a whole lot more than what I can get the Denon 2500BT for (even at £500)?

One other query is load times for the 2500BT, and are they really that bad?

I did send a message to Denon UK about the Denon 200BT versus the Denon 3800BD upscaling (I have a very large DVD collection), and their response was:

'As you are considering also purchasing the AVR2310, we would recommend that you allow this receiver to perform your upscaling. The DVD3800BD is a superior machine in comparison to the DVD2500BT, and it may be a better match in terms of AVR2310 compatibility, as it will handle the surround audio functionalities to a higher standard. Nonetheless the DVD2500BT is a superb unit and if you shop around you should be able to a very good price on it.'

Comments and advice much appreciated.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Pauled51 - I've got exactly the kit you propose - the Denon 2310 receiver, the Denon 2500BT, KEF3005SE and a 2009 Panasonic 46" G10. It all works brilliantly together. The 2310 receiver does all the upscaling you'll ever need, so to duplicate that by buying similar processing in the 3800BD player is a bit of a waste of money. Picture and sound quality wise, the 2500BT is capable of delivering far more than the rest of your proposed system will ever reveal - with both Bluray and DVD's.

A

Anonymous

Wireman - thanks for the reply, and great to see a response from someone with exactly the kit I am looking to buy (I currently have a 2.5 year old 37" Panasonic plasma 720p set and a Denon S-302 - a 2.1 system).

Some more questions to complete my view of things:

How are the 2500BT disc load times - a big issue? I am guessing not if the actuall PQ is worth waiting for.

Do you let the 2500BT upscale your DVDs or let the 2310 do it?

I have Sky+HD, so I am guessing that if I set it to 'AUTO', then the 2310 will do a much better job of uspscaling the SD channels than the Sky box? I am also guessing that the 2310 will do a bette rjob of upscaling than the TV's native upscaler, as letting the TV do all the upscaling is another alternative.

How far do you sit from your 46" TV (i.e. should I go to 50", or is that too much of a step up from a 37") - I sit about 11 feet away?

Does the 2310 get very hot? I plan to have an open AV rack, but was thinking of placing the 2310 on the top shelf to avoid any possibility of overheating and hence better longevity.

In terms of the front speakers (the KEF front & satellites), is there any recommended best set up? i.e. have the centre above or below the TV (which I plan to wall mount)? For the fronts, and due to room layout, it will be tight to have them close to either side of the TV (due to a fireplace) so is there any issue in having them wall mounted higher up above the TV and about 3 foot to either side of it? And maybe a bit wider at the same height for the rears (which will be just behind my sofa, so I am interested in the KEFs due to their wide dispersion)..

Much appreciate your feedback...

Not too many questions I hope....

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
pauled51:How are the 2500BT disc load times - a big issue? I am guessing not if the actuall PQ is worth waiting for.

Exactly. DVD times are reasonably quick, Blu-ray somewhat slower, but only tedious if you have a Profile 2 enabled disc which wastes time searching for an internet connection (Terminator 2 for example). Other than that, it really is a small price to pay for the sound and picture quality on offer.

pauled51:Do you let the 2500BT upscale your DVDs or let the 2310 do it?

The 2500BT is only a transport, not a player - it's the receiver that does all the sound and picture processing, upscaling etc, and the 2310 does a marvelous job (for the price, in context with the rest of what you propose).

pauled51:I have Sky+HD, so I am guessing that if I set it to 'AUTO', then the 2310 will do a much better job of uspscaling the SD channels than the Sky box? I am also guessing that the 2310 will do a bette rjob of upscaling than the TV's native upscaler, as letting the TV do all the upscaling is another alternative.

Don't know. I use freeview and freesat. There are others here that can advise you on sky. The 2310 does a better upscaling job than the screen on other external inputs I've tried (DVD's, Blu-ray, VHS, Hard-disc etc).

pauled51:How far do you sit from your 46" TV (i.e. should I go to 50", or is that too much of a step up from a 37") - I sit about 11 feet away?

About 16 feet. 46" was the largest screen that'd mount on my chimney-breast above the fireplace without looking stupid, although a 50" otherwise wouldn't have been too much from a viewing perspective. I just wish I'd had a wider chimney breast (the 50" G10 was actually cheaper than the 46" too)!

pauled51:Does the 2310 get very hot? I plan to have an open AV rack, but was thinking of placing the 2310 on the top shelf to avoid any possibility of overheating and hence better longevity.

Good placement idea. Mine is also on the top. Does it get hot? In normal use, no. If you thrash it to within an inch of it's life (as I normally do with mine), yes - you could fry an egg on it. But it runs for hours like that quite comfotably, and it has a thermal cut-out that trips and puts the unit into standby if you're pushing it too hard for too long - maybe 5 or 6 hours at full volume!

pauled51:In terms of the front speakers (the KEF front & satellites), is there any recommended best set up? i.e. have the centre above or below the TV (which I plan to wall mount)? For the fronts, and due to room layout, it will be tight to have them close to either side of the TV (due to a fireplace) so is there any issue in having them wall mounted higher up above the TV and about 3 foot to either side of it? And maybe a bit wider at the same height for the rears (which will be just behind my sofa, so I am interested in the KEFs due to their wide dispersion)..

What you suggest seems about right to me - your room seems similar to mine too. All my KEF speakers are wall mounted - centre above the screen, left/right about 2-3 foot to either side of the screen, slightly above head height when sitting. Rears are wall mounted left and right of my sofa, not behind, same height as fronts. Placing slightly above ear/head height avoids audible obstructions (other peoples' heads). All the cables are chased into the walls. The best guides for set-up are here on this web-site - see the set-up videos, especially the one for correct subwoofer placement. Also, read thoroughly the Audyssey set-up guide/FAQ on Audyssey's own web-site - it makes all the difference if you want your receiver set-up correctly from the outset.

Final note - don't be impatient. It's all good from the outset, but none of this will give of it's best until it's been used for a good couple of hundred hours. It needs that (especially the speakers) to give of it's very best.

Hope that helps.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Good Afternoon Wireman & hows you?

Where youve just stated that its the Amp that does the upscaling of the picture etc it only does this if you set it to doesnt it?

For e.g if you want the bluray player to do the upscaling you set the player to 1080p via its resolution settings.

If you want the Amp to do the upscaling you set the bluray player to 576p and the amp to 1080p.

And if you want the TV to do the upscaling you set the bluray player to 576p & the Amp to "through" then it forces the tv to upscale. Does this sound correct to you Wireman?

I set my Denon to 1080p & have the video conversion set to OFF on my amp as its not the best of upscalers as i find the Denon to be at its best set to 1080p.

Any views on this mate?

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jase. Yes, of course you're right - I'm not going to argue with the leading supporter of the 2500BT! Given that I don't have time to re-write the user's guide to Denon's 2500BT this afternoon, I was simplifying... I too have mine set at 1080p as a default. I stand, humbly, corrected.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Jase. Although my Onkyo 876 is a great upscaler, the Denon 2500bt walks all over it. Set it for 1080p on the player and forget about it.

A

Anonymous

Wireman & Jase: fantastic feedback and much appreciated. Jase, you answered very quickly my understanding that the 2500BT does upscale and is very good at it.

I'm in no hurry to get all the kit, but will look for any early opportunity to buy the 2500BT - just waiting on the new Panasonic plasma 2010 reviews.

Thanks guys.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
pauled51:'As you are considering also purchasing the AVR2310, we would recommend that you allow this receiver to perform your upscaling.

This was an interesting response you had from Denon UK pauled51. Although my 2500BT is set to 1080p as a default, my 2310 receiver is also set to upscale, as it's needed with other sources I use. With the 2500 playing DVD, I had noticed some PQ improvement, especially with older material. Perhaps as Denon suggest, the 2310 is better at upscaling than the 2500? Anyone else noticed this?

A

Anonymous

Interseting indeed, especially as they are suggesting that the Anchor Bay ABT2010 chip on the AVR-2310 does a better job than the DVD 2500BT upscaler.

My understanding of your setup, however, is that if you have the 2500BT set to 1080p, then the 2310 will receive that format and have nothing to upscale - surely it will only upscale if sent a signal lower than 1080p? So, to test the difference from what you have now, you need to set the 2500BT to 576p and then the 2310 will upscale it to 1080p. If Denon UK are right, you should see an improvement. Can you test this?

We all wait with baited breath....

A

Anonymous

Agreed. The Denon does the upscaling for me via it's HDMI resolution choice of
setting, which in my case is 1080i as I have a HD Ready TV.

A

Anonymous

Does the Denon have a 720p output setting? Wouldn't this be a better native resolution for an HD-ready TV?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts