Denon 2310 issue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I bought a Denon 2310 this weekend to replace my Harmon Kardon 255. The Denon is great but I have noticed that the bass is lacking a little and my sub (kef htb2seb) is barley noticeable compared to my old receiver. I have tried to play around with the settings but to no effect any help would be helpful.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I've noticed the lack of bass when playing bluerays & watching sky HD I'm a bit of a novice and have tried turning off and on a lot of modes including audyssey eq.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
When you did your auto set-up, did the sub rumble then?

what speakers and sub do you have?

some useful advice here, but I've not had a chance to follow it yet. my problem was only an issue with pro-logic (i.e. non 5.1 dolby digital sources).

I've set my system to output LFE+Main which means there's a bit more meat in the sound in pro-logic (i.e. normal tv broadcast).

A

Anonymous

Hi yeah the sub did rumble in the set up though it was pretty quiet then. I have Kef IQ5SE floorstanders & Kef IQ60 Center.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

do the front speakers need to be set to large for the LFE main setting to work and should this increase the amount of bass coming from the sub

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
some suggest that you need to set your speakers to "small" to make the cross-over work properly, but I'm not sure that's correct. I think you need to do some testing (pick a DVD/ Blu-Ray you're familiar with, watch in DD/TrueHD), and put your hand to the sub to see what, if anything it reacts to. Repeat on stereo broadcasts on television.

Also, it can't hurt to re-run your set up calibrations. Unfortunately, not having your amp, there's little else I can tell you - perhaps a few of the 2310 crew will be along shortly!

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Big Aura:some suggest that you need to set your speakers to "small" to make the cross-over work properly, but I'm not sure that's correct.

I have the 2310 and KEF3005's with the HTB2 sub - it works brilliantly.

It might be worth visiting the Audyssey web-site for detailed advice on how to run the auto set-up function. Their advice is "If you have a sub, then your speakers are always set to small", irrespective of how large your speakers may actually be in reality, otherwise the bass management doesn't function and your sub won't work.

Many on this site advocate turning the Audyssey room correction off once you've run the auto set-up, but I (and some others here) have found that if you actually set-up Audyssey correctly, it does sound better.

My suggestion would be to visit the Audyssey web-site and read their detailed instructions/guidance first, then re-run your set-up (take particular note of Audyssey's advice on microphone placement - it makes a big difference if you want it to sound right), and it should sound spot on. You can always fiddle with things later if you really feel you need to.

A

Anonymous

What are your settings on the Denon? I seem to have solved the problem by increasing the subwoofer out put.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
My sub volume is just below half way, and the receiver's setting is 0 dB's, but my room is only 14' x 12'.......

The bass is fantastic too, especially after adding a Clearer Audio Alpha mains cable to it......

Hope that is useful info....................

A

Anonymous

hi i had the sony 2400es but changed to 2310. the sony deffo made my sub work a lot harder. denon is a better machine with better sounds but the bass output seems lacking compared to the sony

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
stokes2608:What are your settings on the Denon? I seem to have solved the problem by increasing the subwoofer out put.
With 2310/KEF3005/HTB2 sub, I firstly set the sub to +6db, ran Audyssey, and Audyssey cut the 2310's bass output by -6db in my room. Setting the sub's gain to 0db (i.e. no bass boost) and running Audyssey again, Audyssey then corrected the 2310 to give a perfectly flat bass frequency response, which indicates that Audyssey seems to be doing it right, and it does sound exactly right to my ears... the bass is full and detailed, yet appears to be coming from the main speakers not the sub. But Audyssey gives a result of how it should be, not how you may want it to be - again, there's a really good blog about that on Audyssey's own web-site.

But importantly, I know the sub is correctly positioned in my room. I previously had a hi-fi with a big REL subwoofer in that room, and I spent a long time experimenting exactly where that sub should be to eliminate room boom and suck-outs. With a change of hi-fi speakers, I don't need that REL anymore, so that's where I've placed the HTB2 for the home cinema, and it works brilliantly in that same location. But that's in my room, and every room is acoustically different.

There's a really useful WHF guide on "How to set-up your home cinema" under the "Video" section, and it shows you how to work out the best position for your subwoofer in your room - provided you have really long cables! But it's interesting to know where your sub should be positioned, even if for reasons of domestic harmony you're not allowed to put it there!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts