Demoing Speakers With Your Own Amp

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm wanting to arrange an audition of the AVI Neutron 5's at Five Ways Hi-Fi in Harborne and had hoped to bring my own amp along, but I'm pretty confused with the reply that I got from them as below: We'd use a Teac A-H380 for the demonstration. I suggest that you don't bring the A400 anyway. It's not convenient for you and I don't think it would be very helpful. Now true, it would not be convenient as I would have to arrange for someone to drive me there to take my amp, otherwise I would use the train (an hours drive each way going through Birmingham and 2-hours of total boredom for them once we get there!). Is this good advice that bringing my own amp would not be helpful for the demo? Many thanks, Malc.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Strange. The cynical part of me says that they know the speakers sound good with that particular in-store amp. Maybe they hope to sell the amp as well?!
emotion-5.gif

Personally, I agree that it would be inconvenient for you, but that's your decision to make. I would be incined to politely insist. They'll love me if I insist in taking speakers, CDP, DAC and cables to audition an amp!
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

Er, no, it's rubbish. Unless they can give you some idea why i) the Teac is a better option and ii) your Pioneer isn't (and I suppose iii being why they think it's up to them to decide what's best for you to do!).

The Teac is less powerful, more distorted (THD of 0.5% against 0.03%!) and although very good for a mini-system, doesn't compare the Pioneer. Not clear on why they've gone down that route.

Specs for both:-

http://www.teac.co.uk/products/reference-A-H380.php

http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/a400.htm

Can't imagine that Five Ways would offer a poorer quality amp over the Pioneer - especially when you consider the blurb they put on their home page. Nah, get a better explanation than that; that's pretty poor on its own.

A

Anonymous

Many vendors wants to control the customer's listening experience, to ensure the equipment sounds as good as possible.

The most important factor, then, is not the amp, but room acoustics.

So rather than worrying about not using your own amp, you should worry about not using your own room.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Fahnsen:
Many vendors wants to control the customer's listening experience, to ensure the equipment sounds as good as possible.

The most important factor, then, is not the amp, but room acoustics.

So rather than worrying about not using your own amp, you should worry about not using your own room.

I'm aware of that, but there is something of a difference between controlling what you choose to listen to them with.

Guess I've got the more than aggravating option of travelling to Hi-Fi Gear in Gloucester to see what they can pair them up with *grrr*

A

Anonymous

Yes, it's rubbish.

Listening at home is always best, but listening with your own gear at the dealers is definitely a good idea. It will tell you the characteristics of whatever component you are auditioning. It may sound different in your home, but basically if speakers, for example, are bright by nature, then that's how they'll be in your home. Sure, how the room is organised my accentuate or minimise this feature, but the brightness will still be there.

T

the record spot

Buy direct off the web - you then have the right to return within (the law states) 14 days, (however, most retailers offer) 7 days from the day after receipt. They'll give you some rubbish about "not valid if you open the box" which is nonsense. How else are you meant to try out the product? As long as you are careful and don't damage the items, you are well within your rights.

Check out the government's Distance Selling Regulations for internet and mail order products.

A

Anonymous

Buying off the web does limit flexibility, though. If you go to the shop you can try many different pieces of equipment and compare directly, whereas the web doesn't give you that luxury. More expensive, too, in that you have to pay return postage.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
These are the only other option that I'm looking at over Lektor 2's; it's these or the Neutrons subject to audition.

Wouldn't have been overly concerned listening to them with my own amp if they were around the same price as the Lektor's, but £400 is a substantial investment for me for a pair of speakers.

A

Anonymous

Don't bother with the demo. If they can't let you do the work to try your amp...

A

Anonymous

Might be worth having a listen to the Totems while you're there.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you are going as far as Gloucester then you may as well try and make an appointment to go and visit AVI themselves. (They are only a few miles away.)

It would be far more interesting than going to some dealer.

You would only be on the M5 for another 5 - 10 minutes and would not have to negotiate traffic getting into and out of Gloucester. (No city-centre parking problems either.)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
If you are going as far as Gloucester then you may as well try and make an appointment to go and visit AVI themselves. (They are only a few miles away.)

You would only be on the M5 for another 5 - 10 minutes and would not have to negotiate traffic getting into and out of Gloucester. (No city-centre parking problems either.)

Never thought of that!

However, my friend who'd be taking me would be rather less interested I think! (at least he can go off and do other things whilst waiting for me in Gloucester).

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I've also found a very interesting piece by Ashley James on the hi-fi industry in general and hi-fi magazines but daren't put it up! lol

idc

I have even taken my own power cable and conditioner to a demo, as well as amps, CDPs and speakers. The only time I did not do that was demoing headphones with an example of the amp I already have. No, just like the others here, I would not accept such a demo without your equipment.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As far as the system's concerned, the most important match is the amp and speakers. How well these two work together can make or break a system. I wouldn't recommend anybody buy and amp and speakers without hearing the two together, and trying at least one or two alternatives.

I have never told anyone not to bring any specific part of a system that someone has asked to bring, in fact, I usually insist they do, especially if we have nothing that is similar. It's all very well controlling a dem, but if the customer doesn't feel at ease in the demo, they're unlikely to enjoy the experience.

At the end of the day, it's your money.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
As far as the system's concerned, the most important match is the amp and speakers. How well these two work together can make or break a system. I wouldn't recommend anybody buy and amp and speakers without hearing the two together, and trying at least one or two alternatives.

I have never told anyone not to bring any specific part of a system that someone has asked to bring, in fact, I usually insist they do, especially if we have nothing that is similar. It's all very well controlling a dem, but if the customer doesn't feel at ease in the demo, they're unlikely to enjoy the experience.

At the end of the day, it's your money.

Absolutely, and I was pretty shocked by the reply to be honest.

Not so much just the advice as the tone. I have emailed them back for an explanation which should be interesting!

A

Anonymous

chebby:

You would only be on the M5 for another 5 - 10 minutes and would not have to negotiate traffic getting into and out of Gloucester. (No city-centre parking problems either.)Might be difficult to compare AVIs with the Lektors, though, unless Mr James is far more relaxed about things than appears to be the case!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:chebby:

You would only be on the M5 for another 5 - 10 minutes and would not have to negotiate traffic getting into and out of Gloucester. (No city-centre parking problems either.)Might be difficult to compare AVIs with the Lektors, though, unless Mr James is far more relaxed about things than appears to be the case!

lol That's true! I have emailed him about my experience and waiting for his reply.

matthewpiano

It isn't up to a dealer to decide what amp will be used when you audition a pair of speakers. That is just rubbish service, pure and simple. I've owned a AH-380 very briefly and it is nothing like the A400 in any way.

I went into a dealer the other day and the sales person didn't even know what the A400 was. He asked me what make it was, and then asked if it was an AV amp. Pathetic.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:It isn't up to a dealer to decide what amp will be used when you audition a pair of speakers. That is just rubbish service, pure and simple. I've owned a AH-380 very briefly and it is nothing like the A400 in any way.

I went into a dealer the other day and the sales person didn't even know what the A400 was. He asked me what make it was, and then asked if it was an AV amp. Pathetic.

Well Ashley James regards the A400 as a "very old amplifier" which doesn't have the "headroom". His comment on the TEAC as below:

PS. The Teac is the same power as the Pioneer and more modern so probably better.

Reading the rest of his email reads as though he's trying to do Five Way's job and sell me the whole sub/amp system!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:Well Ashley James regards the A400 as a "very old amplifier" which doesn't have the "headroom".

There's a lot of amplifiers out there that won't have the headroom, regardles of whether they're old or modern. The Naim Nait and Audiolab 8000a are old amps, but they're still top notch in the face of current competition.

The Teac is the same power as the Pioneer and more modern so probably better.

Yeah, cos the A380 is held in high regard by reviewers and hi-fi stores alike isn't it? It's a good little amp, and the system it is part of is good value for money - and it's a recommended amp for someone who wants a small amplifier to run a second system or something, but I doubt it'll be fining it's way into many genuine, decent hi-fi systems. As much as I'm not keen on the A400, it's going to do a better job with awkward loads.

The only thing I can think of is that the Teac will give more body to lean sounding speakers, making them sound fuller, but at the expense of detail and accuracy.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Yeah, cos the A380 is held in high regard by reviewers and hi-fi stores alike isn't it? It's a good little amp, and the system it is part of is good value for money - and it's a recommended amp for someone who wants a small amplifier to run a second system or something, but I doubt it'll be fining it's way into many genuine, decent hi-fi systems. As much as I'm not keen on the A400, it's going to do a better job with awkward loads.

The only thing I can think of is that the Teac will give more body to lean sounding speakers, making them sound fuller, but at the expense of detail and accuracy.

Which is exactly what I don't want. Wish I'd stayed to my £300 limit now!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I had considered Five Ways as an option for demos of amps and/or CDPs, but I am now wondering whether it is worth going that far into Brum at lunchtime if Music Matters are that much closer. Music Matters (Stourbridge) were very good when I bought my kit first time around. However, I have to say the Hagley Road branch is being a bit slow in responding to my email query sent last week.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts