Demo today

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I listened to both the Cyrus CD 8SE and the Naim CD5SX today and was amazed how quickly the Naim showed it's superior quality!

I know at the endof the day it all comes down to personal taste, but after reading numerous rave reviews about the Cyrus, I thought I'd be taking one of them home and not the CD5XS.

I started with the Naim, listening to a bit of Jazz vocals and was instantly captivated, but eventually thought "better get on with the comparison" so listened to the same track on the Cyrus and unfortunately, it left me a bit flat, particularly as it would've been the cheaper option!

Next I tried a track from the Eagles on the Cyrus and thought, hmm, quite good, then swapped back to the Naim and the improvement was immediate! detail, imigiary and dynamics were all there.

I would even put my Rega Saturn ahead of the Cyrus.

Sugden A21L amp, Naim CD5XS, Chord Cobra 3 i.c. pair of ProAc Studio 130's

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, it's all down to personal taste - both Cyrus and Naim seem to divide opinion greatly! I find they both work but only when in synergy with the rest of the system, though I have to admit to falling on the Naim side of the fence more often than not (probably because I've owned it and we use it in our main test system!).

Hi Macspur

Nice one
emotion-1.gif
The CD5XS is a superb cd player.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

The Naim Nait CD5XS is over £500 more than the Cyrus 8SE.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Thanks Max. That added time, but the thought was there
emotion-5.gif
chebby cracks me up
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Heard the £4,500 cyrus set up at the show today - £ for £ the most disappointing I heard all day.

Highlight for me was the Wilson Benesch/Marantz room (admittedly a system costing £15,000 +). Thought the basic Rega P1/Brio system sounded great for the money at the opposite end of the spectrum..

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
One of the staff will be along soon to restore order after this flagrant display of anti Cyrus apostasy!

One thing in particular that put me off the Cyrus CD player when we borrowed one in the office was that it wouldn't play half my CD's - similar reason to me selling my old, non-starting Alfa Romeo. This probably didn't help my opinion on the matter!

A

Anonymous

The new software does help etc, but sometimes it comes down to what we like.

1 mans cup of tea is another mans poison....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

chebby:One of the staff will be along soon to restore order after this flagrant display of anti Cyrus apostasy!

emotion-16.gif

Naim user by any chance ... ?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:igglebert:Thanks Max. That added time, but the thought was there
emotion-5.gif
chebby cracks me up
emotion-2.gif

No offense whatsoever max but I don't think you need the help of anybody else ...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
maxflinn:igglebert:Thanks Max. That added time, but the thought was there
emotion-5.gif
chebby cracks me up
emotion-2.gif

No offense whatsoever max but I don't think you need the help of anybody else ...
emotion-5.gif

none taken
emotion-10.gif

emotion-4.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Strangely, I have never been interested in hearing Cyrus. Ever.

I don't know why. Cyrus has always been stocked by my local hifi dealer. Anytime in the past I could (and still can) be only 15 minutes and a phone-call from having a listen.

Odd really. It has just occupied some sort of 'blind spot' in my hifi consciousness. For all I know I might love it.

Doesn't bother me though and I am certainly not going to arrange any demos now. (I am not a fan of hifi auditions at the best of times and won't be arranging more than I need to, especially just for the sake of curiosity.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts