Demo shows the way

TysonIvanovich

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
IHad a demo at my local hi-fi store today, which has really helped to show what I'm looking for in a hi-fi.

I was already looking to upgrade my system (Marantz MCR603 with Mission M71 speakers) when the Marantz died. It was a good set up, but not exciting. The guy in the store had suggested better speakers would show a big improvement, so that's where we started.

We hooked up a Marantz MCR610 to a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers; not sure of the spec but cost around £500. The Marantz was set up with everything neutral, i.e. bass/treble at flat levels. I started off with a Who track, Won't Get Fooled Again, and immediately wanted to turn up the bass. The sound was nice and clear, but lacked the kind of power I really yearned for. Next up was Slayer's Jihad, and again I was unmoved. Finally I tried Pendulum's Blood Sugar, which has a huge bass presence. It just was not happening for me. I tried boosting the bass level, but it still didn't deliver.

I passed my feedback onto the sales guy, and we both felt I really needed something more powerful. So he set up a Yamaha A-S501 amp with Q Accoustics 3050 floorstanders, with a Yamaha CD player. The difference was apparent immediately with the Who track, power, fuller sound and bass I could feel. Thr Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter showed that more subtle music had good detail and warmth. The Pendulum track made my vision start to blur.

Then to really achieve bass that could be felt, we attached a subwoofer. Wonderful. I felt immersed by sound, hitting my brain and my stomach. I also loved the fine tuning I could achieve. With the amp volume a bit lower and the subwoofer a bit louder, the music had a warmth that I loved. By reducing the trebble slightly on the amp could pull the vocals down and experience the music more.

So, a very good experience, and very helpful in letting me discover what my priorities really are. It also suggests can phase my purchases; start just with the amp at about £260 and hook up to my Missions. Save up for a while, then get some floorstanders, then add a subwoofer later.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The marantz is not designed to 'fill' a room with sound. It's a back ground system.

Not sire why some feel these 'midi' systems can deliver big sound.

The Yamaha is q good call and will hopefully improve the sound your Missions are giving.

You may only need to add a sub to your set-up with a source to the Yamaha.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Did you try the 610 with another set of speakers ? Of course the amp needs the power to ably drive speakers, but if you put a £10k amp through a small set of speakers you still wouldn't get the bass you're after.

does the 610 have a sub out ?

TysonIvanovich

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
The marantz is not designed to 'fill' a room with sound. It's a back ground system.

Not sire why some feel these 'midi' systems can deliver big sound.

The Yamaha is q good call and will hopefully improve the sound your Missions are giving.

You may only need to add a sub to your set-up with a source to the Yamaha.

I didn't do much research when I bought the Marantz 603, just assumed that spending £450 would give me a unit with plenty of power and it had five star reviews. I spent a good 90 mins in the demo room this time, and read a lot more on forums rather than just reviews in mags.

Good point about maybe not needing floorstanders, assuming my Missions pair well with the Yamaha amp. Gets delivered on Monday, very excited :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts