Demo record, for a vinyl newby

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok suspend your belief for a second, and think about this scenario.

I'm 23 years old, I've never heard a record before. (Yeah I know I'm nearly 50 and I grew up with them. I said suspend your belief.)

I've only even heard of CDs because Mum got Hairbrush Divas stuck in the CD player in her Ford Ka and it played the infernal thing constantly for six years. I'm an MP3 boy through and through.

I'm round at yours and I've asked you to demo me one of these vinyls things. You ask, "'what genre do you you like?" I answer, "I'll listen anything which shows me what vinyls (sic) are all about".

What LP are you showing me?

D

Deleted member 108165

Jaded answer... Love Over Gold by Dire Straits.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
“Talking back to the night” from Sheffield Steel by Joe Cocker and rhythm section Sly Dunbar & Robbie Shakespeare.

The 12” single version of “Mirror in the bathroom” by The Beat.

The 12” single version of “Always the Sun” by The Stranglers.

The whole of XTC’s “English Settlement” album.

”The Dub Factor” by Black Uhuru.

The “Love and Dancing” remix album by The League Unlimited Orchestra. (Aka Human League.)

”Love is a Stranger” by the Eurythmics (loud).

”Just what I needed” by The Cars.

”Tom Tom Club” by the Tom Tom Club (almost the best version of Under The Boardwalk IMHO).

”Peter Gunn” by Art of Noise.

Petherick said:
10cc. Original Soundtrack. Any excuse really! Jennifer Warnes. Famous Blue Raincoat.

I'd second Chebbys first suggestion and Pethericks second. Then I'd add 'Love is the thing' by Nat King Cole on Capital Records mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at AcousTech Mastering.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
Donal Fagan: 'Nightfly'.
In never realised he'd become Irish. :)

Edit: 'Fagen'. The quality remains.
It was the "Donal" I was referring to....good Irish name.

I missed both of those...... Been working too hard maybe... Well, that and an impending house move. Loads going on, including maybe re-thinking all my HiFi gear to suit the new abode...... More later..

Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

I missed both of those...... Been working too hard maybe... Well, that and an impending house move. Loads going on, including maybe re-thinking all my HiFi gear to suit the new abode...... More later..
It'd have to be very different not to allow your diverse range of gear to work. Don’t do anything rash, and good luck with the move!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

It'd have to be very different not to allow your diverse range of gear to work. Don’t do anything rash, and good luck with the move!

Thanks! - We're moving from a fairly modern house to an extended and renovated, largish early Victorian cottage. It has the standard beamed ceilinged rooms and also a large contemporary room which doubles as a Summer room complete with insulated glass pitched roof and glass front (other three sides are brick). Going to be an interesting one this....

When we went to view, I couldn't help going around 'clapping' to try to get an idea of what the acoustics were like (Mrs Loop was so embarrassed and gingerly explained to the sellers that I was sufferering from an obsession). I was left to my obsessive clapping, whilst they went to view the stables and paddock. Again.....

I will of course try out all combinations of everything I have just to see what works where (or not). We're a few weeks away yet, but I'm excited at the possibilities.

I'm planning a full report of my experiences post move!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

Good luck with the move...and the Hifi decisions.

TRENDING THREADS