Demo - Naim / Arcam / Rega

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
3 years since my last serious shop demo i took an opportunity yesterday afternoon to demo a few items - my main goal to finally listen to the Naim gear and also to see how much i liked the Uniti system. The speakers used throughout were Neat Motive 3 as i had no intention of changing these and needed one constant at least. So after a listen to my current Arcam A32 and CD36 here goes... Naim Uniti - i liked the fact this was extremely functional and covers all the bases, but sadly when compared to separates i did find it lacking a bit. Hard to put a finger on it but in detail and control it wasnt as good as what i was used to. However as an all in one its hard to beat. Naim System - asking to hear what better was like v my own system, a Supernait and CD5XS was next. Ok now were had something, very clear, very detailed and rhythmical. A flatter soundstage than i am used to but it drives along nicely and is very enjoyable. However not perhaps as big a jump on quality as i may have wished for but i can really see its attraction. Arcam System - i couldnt resist trying the A38 and CD37 newer models from my own brand. Here was the tone i was used to when compared to the Naim, the soundstage was bigger and sparkled more, the treble in particular was much sweeter than the Naim. I have to say that i preferred this to the Naim. It was also i feel a tad sweeter than than my set up and has given me thoughts of switching my CD36 for the CD37. Rega Dac - final listen was adding the Rega DAC and comparing to my rdac. This was a better dac for sure, costs more as well mind you, and is a tempter as an alterative boost to my CD36 along with use for the wadia dock. I tried the different filters without noticing much different really in these. Conclusion - my own system which does benefit from some mains upgrading and filters has probably moved up a gear to more closely rival slightly more expensive items used without them. I finally understand the difference between Naim and Arcam presentations, both are very good but Arcam suits me better (which is a relief to my wallet). I did like the Arcam CD37, which is a sweeter player than ive heard anywhere else yet. I think though i may consider trading in the rdac next for a more expensive model and go from there. I think i am close to the sweet spot that says getting a big jump up from my current system is going to take some serious spending which isnt likely v other family priorites. In the end I left much happier with my current set up than i thought i would be so i call that a success.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Interesting. I bet, as a Naimee, if I sat down and listened to the the Arcam kit I'd probably have come away with the polar opposite opinion.

I wonder if your post elucidates a theory that we get entrenched in a particular sound, we would actually find it hard to change, no matter what?

To be fair, I've probably only listened to the more entry-level Arcam kit , but I had an Alpha 8 for many years and it never really did anything for me. I set out to my '5 star' Arcam kit for my last system and again, found it boring and lifeless. I came away with the Naim gear which I still have 5 years on.

I did, however, listen to the rDAC recently in a budget system and was really impressed. I'm thinking of getting one but how much is the Rega DAC? I think it would be one to audition given what you've written...

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i think we do get to like certain presentations which at least on a 2 hour demo are hard to overcome.

personally i think both Arcam and Naim are excellent, i would have no regrets owning either system especially what i heard from the supernait and cd5xs. the main conclusion for me was that separates are worth the outlay v all in one (if you dont mind the boxes).

the rega dac was quoted to me as £500 against the rdac at just under £300. is it a world of difference better, ummm no i didnt think so.

if you want value for money i would personally take the rdac. i wouldnt upgrade for instance from the rdac to the rega - but if it was a first dac purchase and i had £500 then i would have a listen to both. however, i have me eye on a PS Audio Digital Link 111.

crusaderlord:i think we do get to like certain presentations which at least on a 2 hour demo are hard to overcome. personally i think both Arcam and Naim are excellent, i would have no regrets owning either system especially what i heard from the supernait and cd5xs. the main conclusion for me was that separates are worth the outlay v all in one (if you dont mind the boxes). the rega dac was quoted to me as £500 against the rdac at just under £300. is it a world of difference better, ummm no i didnt think so. if you want value for money i would personally take the rdac. i wouldnt upgrade for instance from the rdac to the rega - but if it was a first dac purchase and i had £500 then i would have a listen to both. however, i have me eye on a PS Audio Digital Link 111.

Concur with the fact that one does get attached to a certain sound. For me, and for the money, Arcam is hard to beat. However, I've found that Arcam gear does need very careful partnering to make the most of it.

When people mention a "sweet spot" I really do believe that Arcam amps certainly sound the best with MA, something I've never baulked away from, but I've not heard the Neats with the Arcs.

Although I love the Leema in many respects, I think Arcam offer something (can't quite put my finger on) that other makes don't - or can't!

A

Anonymous

The arcam rdac was nice, but was a little muddy in the base. I got the rega dac instead, just because it had more than double the number o finputs.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
this coming week i will be getting a home demo of the musical fidelity M1 DAC which i will try alongside my rDac and let you know what i think

AndrewH13

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Was most impressed by a demo of the Rega dac and bought. At home it's even better with my Sonos playing Flacs (and mp3s). While I'm not saying it equals my Roksan turntable, its certainly in the same ball park and gives an organic natural sound to digital files. I think it's goodbye to my Tag DVD player (fed up with lid sticking) as for the first time in ages, I'm content with the good Sonos interface and the sound from the Rega.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Crusaderlord,

While you're after a new dac, can I suggest you also audition the PMC gb1i's with your gear? I heard them with naim, still want to hear them with my arcams, but was deeply impressed. They have much of the same presentation as the neats, but to my ears offer something extra. Have a listen and see if you agree.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
thanks for the advice on the PMC GB1i - to be honest my listening room isnt huge and i prefer standmounts generally to floorstanders, i find i have more than enough bass from the Neat Motives.

the closest match from PMC are the DB1i which i did demo at the time i bought the Neats, but i ended up preferring Neat to PMC, that said one day i will give the GB1i's a listen.

on the comment on price, yes i do think Arcam are better value £ for £ than Naim seem to be

TRENDING THREADS