jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Spendor A9 (price?)

4350482439_cd0d98eb46.jpg

file_12_11.jpg

A

Anonymous

Maybe overkill on the bass? that is for most households anyway. I am guessing you would need a room at least 5*5m. However it does look a very enticing proposition if I had the huge house because presumably I would then have the money to shell out on those speakers. I am guessing the speakers cost at least 3.5k but this is only a wild guess but myself and I am probably wild out.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

Spendor A9 (price?)

4350482439_cd0d98eb46.jpg

file_12_11.jpg

The lighter ones are a mock-up, not real, the top ones are real. They cost £4000, vastly overpriced i would think, but i have not heard them yet.

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:The good people at Spendor delivered a pair this morning (dark finish). Should make a nice photograph at the very least.
Hi simon, could you take them apart and tell us why they are so expensive, double the price of my A6,s, i know, i know, 2 more drivers, larger cabinet etc, but c,mon £4000
emotion-8.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie:Maybe overkill on the bass? that is for most households anyway. I am guessing you would need a room at least 5*5m. However it does look a very enticing proposition if I had the huge house because presumably I would then have the money to shell out on those speakers.

They're not that big! I heard them at the Bristol Show, they're not bass heavy, they're bass accurate.

I am guessing the speakers cost at least 3.5k but this is only a wild guess but myself and I am probably wild out.

No, not that far, £3,995 I think.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
johnnyjazz: Hi simon, could you take them apart

That's a long way outside my remit and, anyway, I'm not convinced I'd be able to get them back together again.

I imagine Spendor has set its price taking into account its costs, the sort of margin a dealer will require and the cost of speakers its sees as direct rivals. If you don't want to pay £4000 for speakers then they're not worth the money. If you do, they might be... I guess we'll have to wait and find out what they sound like.

A

Anonymous

Sorry simon, when i said take them apart i meant remove the parts that are removable, leave the veneer and construction alone
emotion-2.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
johnnyjazz:jaxwired:
Spendor A9 (price?)

The lighter ones are a mock-up, not real,

So?

the top ones are real. They cost £4000, vastly overpriced i would think, but i have not heard them yet.

So you haven't heard them but you're convinced they're over-priced?

Some people here do say the weirdest things. Are you even going to try to justify that comment?

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:johnnyjazz:jaxwired:

Spendor A9 (price?)

The lighter ones are a mock-up, not real,

So?

the top ones are real. They cost £4000, vastly overpriced i would think, but i have not heard them yet.

Some people here do say the weirdest things. Are you even going to try to justify that comment?
Have the A6,s, not worth 2 grand

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:Grilles and spikes it is, then.
And drivers, tweeter,base plate with crossover, all the vast amounts of foam ( sorry, dynamic damping ? )
emotion-1.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
johnnyjazz:the_lhc:johnnyjazz: the top ones are real. They cost £4000, vastly overpriced i would think, but i have not heard them yet.

Have the A6,s, not worth 2 grand

Why did you buy them then?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the top photo are A9's, the bottom picture seems to be a mock up based on a speaker that would be the A5 dimensions, essentially a double driver A5.

As for whether these are worth the money or not, only the listener can decide, as with all speakers. We've had ours now for about 2 weeks, and they sound very nice indeed. Many £k floorstanding speakers tend to produce bucket loads of bass, and the old S9e's were no exception. They sounded good, but it was very awkward to get them to sound good as very careful positioning was needed. Not so with the A9's. They're as easy to palce as A5's and A6's, arent too much bigger than A6's, and have a very balanced sound. They're not bass monsters, but what's there can be easily followed, and doesn't overpower the mid or treble. They handled my 'rough rock' demo discs well - Rage Against The Machine's album of the same name, and Red Hot Chili Pepper's Blood Sugar Sex Magic, as well as being equally capable with electronic stuff like Phutureprimitive and Boards Of Canada.

Well worth an audition for those looking at speakers in this price point.

A

Anonymous

Hello IHC, i bought them because after spending 6 hours auditioning my kit with 5 sets of speakers from different companies, the spendors came out tops. They sound truly fantastic with the sugden gear and i am delighted with them. But i don,t think they are worth the 2 grand asking price, and i paid well under £1000 for them, so they are worth what i paid.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
johnnyjazz:Hello IHC, i bought them because after spending 6 hours auditioning my kit with 5 sets of speakers from different companies, the spendors came out tops. They sound truly fantastic with the sugden gear and i am delighted with them. But i don,t think they are worth the 2 grand asking price, and i paid well under £1000 for them, so they are worth what i paid.

Hello iohnnyiazz, thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot more sense now.

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
johnnyjazz:Hello IHC, i bought them because after spending 6 hours auditioning my kit with 5 sets of speakers from different companies, the spendors came out tops. They sound truly fantastic with the sugden gear and i am delighted with them. But i don,t think they are worth the 2 grand asking price, and i paid well under £1000 for them, so they are worth what i paid.

So how did you persuade someone to part with them for less than half price?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts