Dedicated CD Player or Universal Player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm really hoping someone can help me with this dilemma, wasn't sure if this should go under the "Home Cinema" or "Hi-Fi" section?

I recently upgraded my audio equipment. I am more concerned about music reproduction than by Home Cinema/Surround Sound but did want Surround Sound ability for gaming. Limited by space and budget, I had to choose between sacrificing the surround sound, or getting a good receiver and speakers that would do a reasonable job of stereo. To that end I chose the Denon AVR-1910 and Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema Package.

I've been adding new components as I go, being mindful that anything I add should withstand any future upgrade of amp and/or speakers (which would probably be stereo as apposed to AV receiver). I now wish to buy a better CD Player to replace the existing Technics SL-PG440A. I've currently been considering the Rega Apollo (though not been able to listen yet - but based on a fondness for my old Rega Planet and good reviews), or the Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD (the thinking being that I could also use this to replace my PS3 for Blu-ray playback, as well as the obvious advantages of multi format playback).

[class="Apple-style-span"]Budget is up to £500, I'm open to suggestions of alternate options and I am looking for audio benefits over and above any visual benefit. Any thoughts/suggestions/insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.[/class]

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I think gor for a universal or bluray player or consider computer + dac. Any of these will have more functionality and should have same or better sound.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree

A Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD and a decent DAC and you've got the best of both worlds IMO
emotion-5.gif

The Rega Apollo is a stunning CDP and well worth its price BUT it doesnt play Blu-Rays or DVDs!
emotion-4.gif

T

the record spot

Another vote for the 650BD here. For the money, the functionality and quality which appears to be on offer is impressive. One to hear (and see) I think!

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the 650bd and cambridge audio DAC combo and very happy with the combination. If I was shopping at present I would hang on and audition the denon DBP-2011UDCI due out soon. Which for about the same cash as cambridge pairing could be a good solution.

T

the record spot

Which reminds me, Marantz have some new universal players of their own coming out in the very near future as well. Decisions, decisions...!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input guys. The recommendation seems to be unanimous.

Think I'll wait for the new bunch of universal players and then go for some serious listening!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts