Decoupling floorstanders

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

Hi all,

So i'm just about to move into my new crib and on day 1 will be setting up my new (to me) setup :)

I have bought Monitor Audio RS6 floorstanders and purchased some granite plinths (chopping boards) to go under them. I will superglue spike shoes to these to stop them skating around.

My question is will the spikes, shoes and plinths be enough to decouple them from the floor?

I'm wondering about getting some Polypods for underside of plinths to effectively decouple these too - or is this overkill?

Thoughts please.

Cheers,

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
IV never really tried plinth's but the spikes on the speakers should be enough so anymore will be a bonus. Do some experimental Trial and error.let us know how you get on

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No. With spikes you are in essence coupling the speaker to the floor.

Your 'Polypod' (or Sorbotheane) is better. The material will turn some of the energy into heat.

I used Sorbothane feet with some success under my Turntable (which already has suspension).

Townshend Seismic Sinks are probably the best option but costly. The principle is good though and perhaps you can make something similar for less.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:

Your 'Polypod' (or Sorbotheane) is better. The material will turn some of the energy into heat.

I used Sorbothane feet with some success under my Turntable (which already has suspension).

Townshend Seismic Sinks are probably the best option but costly. The principle is good though and perhaps you can make something similar for less.

+1 Have a look at this video...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPXJDdwtk4

I owned a pair for my PMC Fact 12's until I sold both a few months ago to pay for a speaker upgrade, but they were brilliant. Really tightened up the lower end. Pricey I know, but this is what your DIY project should aspire to achieve...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I just looked up ISO acoustic

if I went and brought the Gaia 2 for my speakers it would set me back £480 for 8 as they only sell them boxes of 4s ...... I like the idea but very expensive

You can buy aperta 200 http://www.isoacoustics.com/?page_id=177
that's the stands i was looking at Gala 2 which fits in where your spikes go . the stands are cheaper for some reason not sure why but Gala is dear for a simple thing but my speakers are tower speakers which are high if i used the stands they would be very high which i would not like .

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I just looked up ISO acoustic

if I went and brought the Gaia 2 for my speakers it would set me back £480 for 8 as they only sell them boxes of 4s ...... I like the idea but very expensive

You can buy aperta 200 http://www.isoacoustics.com/?page_id=177
that's the stands i was looking at Gala 2 which fits in where your spikes go . the stands are cheaper for some reason not sure why but Gala is dear for a simple thing but my speakers are tower speakers which are high if i used the stands they would be very high which i would not like .

no lowest heght with aparte is only about 3.5" less than 9cm and you can angle them if it makes them sound better up to 6.5 degree and they can each handle 75 lbs

Mabye you can find a place where they have gala 2 and migh get a home demo to hear if theres a difference unless the price already is to much

drummerman said:

+1

However not too sure why mentioned in the same thread as someone who's looking to support speakers that cost a lot less than the support itself.

The Townsends are only going to be used by those with large bank accounts, mine isn't big enough unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 160668

thanks for suggestions. Sorbethane polypods purchased.

Some of the options were too expensive to justify for my speakers.

now just gotta move in so can set it all up! Aaah!

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
amormusic said:

Have you got a link to these Polypods?

gasolin

wilro15 said:
amormusic said:

Have you got a link to these Polypods?

I think it's these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milty-Polipods-Vibration-Absorbers-Pack/dp/B0056GXPAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486673969&sr=8-1&keywords=milty+polipods

amormusic said:
Hi all,

So i'm just about to move into my new crib and on day 1 will be setting up my new (to me) setup :)

I have bought Monitor Audio RS6 floorstanders and purchased some granite plinths (chopping boards) to go under them. I will superglue spike shoes to these to stop them skating around.

My question is will the spikes, shoes and plinths be enough to decouple them from the floor?

I'm wondering about getting some Polypods for underside of plinths to effectively decouple these too - or is this overkill?

Thoughts please.

Cheers,
I'm not sure we ever established why you want to decouple them in the first place. Is it because there is an apartment underneather who you don't want to disturb? Otherwise, I'm unclear what you are hoping to achieve or improve.

D

Deleted member 160668

Nope, moving to solid walled (paper thin) semi house with suspended timber floor (almost certainly linked to other half of semi). Dont want to annoy my neighbours immediately!!

I'm moving from a flat with reinforced concrete ceiling/floor and whch is isolated on all angles meaning I can "give it the beans" when I want to without disturbing others... even so, I still had my (now sold) PMC's on Mo-Pads to minimise bass carry...

I would like a relaxed unoffensive neigbourly relationship from the off :)

Cheers all.

Roll on the move and my proper music back...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
wilro15 said:
When decoupling involves placing speakers on wobbly sorbothane, doesn't it make them unstable?

No.

There are different thickness pads depending on weight they need to support but even the thinnest ones are better than spikes. Four spike products are also difficult to level, if you must have spikes or cones, use three.

They are also sticky without containing any adhesive so if anything, a product supported by Sorbotheane is somewhat 'safer'. Obviously, nothing will stop a speaker topple over if pushed by a toddler other than bolting them to the floor, the speaker ... not the toddler :)

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I think the key is is to try stuff that doesn't cost a fortune and see what happens. I had an issue with my KEF in that the bass was just toooooo much. So, messed around with position and support until I was happy. They now sit on a granite plinth which is directly on the hard floor, and with their spikes directly on the granite. No shoes, but no danger of them being knocked.

I don't really understand all the talk of coupling and isolating, but my ears understand when something sounds better. Let your ears be the judge. Before spending hundreds!

good luck!

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
wilro15 said:
When decoupling involves placing speakers on wobbly sorbothane, doesn't it make them unstable?

No.

There are different thickness pads depending on weight they need to support but even the thinnest ones are better than spikes. Four spike products are also difficult to level, if you must have spikes or cones, use three.

They are also sticky without containing any adhesive so if anything, a product supported by Sorbotheane is somewhat 'safer'. Obviously, nothing will stop a speaker topple over if pushed by a toddler other than bolting them to the floor, the speaker ... not the toddler :)

Ok thanks. I have just ordered a pack of those Milty Polipods so will give it a try.

I'm listening to music right now, which I don't *think* is that loud but there is still a slight vibration on the (laminate) floor.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
I don't really understand all the talk of coupling and isolating, but my ears understand when something sounds better. Let your ears be the judge. Before spending hundreds!

It is as it says. Isolating means the speaker cabinet / stand is free to vibrate relative to the floor, coupling means the cabinet / stand are in direct contact with the floor and vibrations are transmitted from the stand to the flooring.

As a general rule, you don't want your speakers to wobble around. Coupling to the floor is a good idea if the floor is solid.

If the floor is resonant (suspended wood for example), then there may be benefits isolating the stand from the floor.

Just to be clear, spikes couple, squidgy stuff (foam, gel pads etc) isolate.

..and while were are on the subject, spikes started off life as a convenient way to pierce carpeting and make direct contact with the flooring. Somehow spikes now get used in the most ridiculous places - I guess because it looks fancy and sells.

Those A/V racks with spikes in between each shelf? Nonsense. Far better to use a nut and bolt and fix the rack together firmly. Spikes directly onto a granite slab? Nonsense. All you will do is scratch the granite and blunt the spikes.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have removed the spikes from my PMC PB1i's and placed them on thick pieces of marble with four balls of bluetack to decouple them and fix them to the marble, they are now rock solid and it has completely stopped low bass frequencies from exiting the floorboards.

It works exceptionaly well imo, and also makes moving the speakers far easier just by sliding the slab an speaker on top of the carpet ( with some effort ) to get them into the optimum position. *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts