chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting a little spending money, and as it won't be enough to upgrade either my amp or speakers, I'm going to treat the TT to something new.

My problem is I'm not sure what.... Ortofon are doing the blue stylus for £100. It's the logical next step for me, and although I know it's not popular in these parts, I've been happy with the 2M Red.

The other option is that I've seen the Nagaoka MP110 for around £110, and I know that one is a popular cart round here..... how is it different to the Ortofon? Would it be easy to set up myself (as I refuse to pay a dealer to set up a cart, and the dealer that sold me the Ortofon and set it up doesn't sell Nagaoka)?

Or, do I "find" some extra money and buy the Rega TT PSU? Again, the question is what kind of difference would it make? Is it actually compatible with my TT? How would I tell... etc etc.

OR (!) bearing in mind my budget, is there another upgrade that might be better value for money?

As ever, thanks in advance for any input....

D

Deleted member 108165

Hi Chris, can't give you any advice regarding your the PSU and cart, as I don't own either of them, your ears will be the judge of that. All I can say is that the 2M Blue is better than the Red... Bronze is the sweet-spot. In your case the Blue is a straight stylus swap-out so is easier to change than a complete cart re-mount.

Mounting and cartridge set-up is relatively easy if you have the tools available and are nimble fingered and steady hands. Tools I have for cart changes are as follows:

Jewellers screwdiver set and illuminated loupe

Dr Feickert protractor

Hi-Fi News test record

Tweezers

Vinyl Engine is a very good forum for everything vinyl related. Be patient for replies as everyone has a life outside the forum and are sometimes busy, we haven't all retired or work 9-5 *biggrin*

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies...

Mac - my Planar 3 is an older model, bought "pre-loved" from Cymbiosis who were kind enough to fit the 2M for me (which I purchased at the same time) - although I did need to buy some spacers/shims as the arm sits a little low for it.

I know that there are slight differences in motor etc in some of the models, but I'm unsure what I am looking for?

The naming of Rega turntables has always been a place for confusion. I would contact your nearest Rega dealer with details of your deck to see if it can be fitted with the TT PSU.

By far the easiest upgrade you can make is simply to replace your Red stylus with the Anniversary Blue, which is what Ortofon are trying to get people to do by pricing it so keenly.

TRENDING THREADS